“Great Authentic Chinese Food.........worth the trip to Fredericton”

Mandarin Palace Restaurant
Ranked #77 of 230 Restaurants in Fredericton
Cuisines: Chinese, Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2013

If you love great Chinese food go to Tina Tu's Mandarin Palace in Fredericton. The hot and sour soup was probably the best I have ever had. Hot and a real "sour", so much depth to the flavour. Truly outstanding. Dumplings fresh tender and juicy. The Ma Po Tofu was so rich in flavour, the tofu was fresh, all the ingredients just perfect. This chef is a genius. Tina is a lovely lady who runs a great restaurant. Come hungry and leave happy. I wish I could move this restaurant to Toronto. I wanted to steal the chef!

2  Thank SkiBigWhitenet

Reviewed 26 March 2013

Mandarin Palace has always been me and my fiancées and our circle of in-the-know friends' go-to for authentic Chinese food you won't find on the usual "Chinese-Canadian" menu. But now, you don't have to be in-the-know to get to the real stuff: just ask to see the new, translated "authentic" menu! It's got pictures, and even the phonetic Chinese if you want to order like a pro.

Thanks to the new menu, my fiancée and I tried a new three-dish combo for this takeaway meal - or, more accurately, meals: with serving sizes this large, you've got lunch and dinner set for days!

"Homestyle tofu" is a favourite: like the menu describes, "homestyle" is unique to whomever happens to be in charge of the wok. Fried up with green peppers, mushrooms and onions and served in a savoury, thick gravy, it's not an airy-fairy dainty tofu - it's heavy, it's tasty, it'll put hair on your chest.

"Twice-cooked pork" finds that perfect combination of sweet and spicy, with hot peppers and onions in a syrupy sauce. The texture of the meat and the vegetables, which could easily go soft and mushy when cooked to combine both the sweet and spicy elements, at Mandarin Palace turn out perfectly crisp and fresh.

"Slow-cooked beef and potatoes" is simply that. Beef is tender and juicy, and with a sprinkling of sesame seeds takes on a mild, sweet flavour from the potatoes. Another hearty dish that goes down with some heft. If you're new to the authentic menu, it's a good meal to start: something different, but not too adventurous.

Mandarin Palace was voted one of Canada's top 100 Chinese restaurants a little while ago, and it's easy to see, and taste, why. Definitely one of the hidden, off-the-beaten-track gems in Fredericton.

4  Thank Bob S
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Had been wanting a good chinese meal for a week and I was not disapointed. Everything was fresh and the service was very good.

3  Thank Jobber_X
Reviewed 28 January 2013

My friends introduced me to this place, and though I was wary - it was delicious! The "blue duotang" authentic menu is fantastic. The spicy beef soup was delicious, and after reading the comments below, I can't wait to try the fish.

5  Thank Amanda C
Reviewed 14 January 2013

My friends brought us here after raving about the food and I'm so glad that they did. The food was phenominal, very fresh, hot, flavorful. It was beyond any of my expectations and I will definitely return.

Best authentic chinese food and truly a hidden gem.

4  Thank Claire J