“Nice hotel, but....”

Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Moncton
New Brunswick
“Nice hotel, but....”
Reviewed 22 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at the casino hotel in October in a Marquis suite for our anniversary. Check-in was not as smooth as I had hoped (my husband had the rewards card in his name and we had booked a package requiring the card. Because he wasn't with me at check-in, they needed his photo ID, I had to walk all the way over to the casino to apply for one of my own or I could not get the keys to my room until he arrived. He was at meetings till the afternoon and was not done until 5 pm, this was noon). I was also expecting much friendlier staff based on reviews I had read previously.
The suite itself is very impressive when you first walk in. It is very large and modern, with a separate living area and two washrooms. It also has some nice amenities, keurig coffee maker, iPod docking station, balcony, etc. But when you look at the bones of the room, it is already starting to show it's age. The walls in the bedroom were extremely scuffed and marked, you would think this was a 20 year old hotel. The tiles in the bathroom are already moldy and mildewy, and gives the bathroom, especially the shower, a very grungy look. The wallpaper was starting to peel in the second bathroom; an inside shelf in the fridge broke when we went to put something in it; the coffee table had deep scratches on the top; and pieces of the wood trim on the counters and drawers were peeling off and made the drawers difficult to close. Housekeeping was also a bit of an issue. There were grubby handprints all over the patio door glass, the shower door looked clean until it got steamed up and then you could see where people " wrote " on the glass with their soapy fingers, and I'm sure some of the mildew in the shower could have been cleaned off with a bit of scrubbing.
As a side note, I went to the casino spa, and it was fantastic. The treatments were very well done and the staff were extremely professional. Well worth the money spent.
Overall, unless maintenance is upkept with the rooms, which it hasn't been so far or the rooms would not be in such rough shape, it will be hard to recommend this hotel for much longer, because the value will just not be there. Which is a shame since it is one of the newer hotels in Moncton and has the potential to be fantastic.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Travel_fiend45

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Halifax
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We spent a wonderfully relaxing 3 nights at Hotel Casino New Brunswick. The room was very spacious with two Queen beds, two arm chairs with table, a work station, TV and wardrobe and still lots of room to move around and feel like you had space. The bathroom is big and the shower (no tub) very comfortable with lots of room to move around. The staff - each and every one of them - friendly and very obliging. Food at the Buffet was wonderful for every meal there. This is a keeper destination spot and we will return for sure.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Petit-Rocher
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I`ve been three times to the hotel and enjoyed my stay everytime. The staff is friendly, rooms are big and the bed.... so comfortable. I will be back for sure.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We all enjoyed our stay at the hotel, Lovely rooms, comfortable beds. we intend going back, my children and myself. We ate at the Moose Restaurant, enjoyable and good prices. I will recommend this hotel anytime.

Room Tip: This is my 3rd time, different rooms and they were all quiet.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Awesome suites! Best beds ever. Tonnes of entertainment on weekends and excellent buffet.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jeff P
Fredericton, NB, Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We are in Moncton to see Jeff Beck play (which was really good!) at Casino NB and decided to stay at the venue for convenience. We booked a luxury suite and I am very impressed with it. Here are a few things of note:
- Very spacious
- Huge bathroom with a massive shower and a deep tub...and lots of little extras (shampoo, conditioner, soaps, mouthwash, bath salt, showel gel, etc.)
- Very quiet...our room overlooks the parking lot and we didn't even hear all of hte traffic leaving after the show
- Room darkening curtains really block out the light. It was daylight but the bedroom was still pitch dark.
- Casino, restaurants and event venue all connected inside via pedway
- Keurig coffee maker and real milk and cream in the fridge (a huge differenciating factor for me!)
- The bed is the most comfortable I've ever slept on and has a nice cozy duvet and lots of pillows.

The only negative is that if you eat at the buffet restaurant, you pay before you eat and at the time they ask you how much you'd like to tip which we found to be quite rude. We always tip, but that's not a question that should ever be asked...and certainly not before you have even been shown to your table!

Room Tip: Suites are inexpensive and well worth it
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 12 October 2011

It was our 37th anniversay and decided on the Stay and Play night. Really enjoyed the room , buffet supper and $20 in casino money. There is specialty coffees in the room, a refrigerator, Keurig coffee maker and a HUGE shower. King sized bed was more comfy than mine at home which never happens at a hotel.
We had a great time.