“Right in the Heart of Saint John”

Ranked #1 of 14 Saint John B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My husband and I recently travelled to the Maritimes and one of our destinations was Saint John. We stayed at Chipman Hill Suites and absolutely loved our stay! We only stayed for 2 nights, although we wished we could have stayed longer.. I have to admit though, I was a bit worried at the prospect of having no innkeeper and no reception desk to greet us. I have never experienced anything like it, and to my surprise the service was very efficient and personalized. My emails and concerns were addressed promptly, almost as soon as I send a message. I was worried about the limited free parking they have, but as I learned later it was not a problem at all. From the moment we arrived, I loved how they gave us a secret code to get into the apartment building. It sure felt like a little mystery puzzle that we need to solve and it added a touch of excitement to our already wonderful adventure. I also loved the idea of being given complete privacy-- as if you are going into your own apartment. As soon as we entered, we loved our room! The bed was huge and very comfortable, so much so that we spent an hour or two lying around before going out to see the city. The kitchenette had everything you could ever need for a short stay-- a water kettle, coffee maker, a few utensils, an oven, a microwave.. even a little toaster and of course a small fridge. It's like somebody had carefully thought of the details and knew exactly what you would need. The bathroom was spotless clean, which I am very particular about. Our room had an air-jet tub although we did not have time to try it out. I wish we did have time though-- usually I don't use tubs at hotels or inns, but this was an exception because it looked very clean. I loved the furniture as well-- the desks and chairs all added up to a very polished look. Outside the building was made of red brick and looked old and charming-- but inside everything was very modern and new. My husband and I were thinking the same thing-- that we could actually live in our suite! Chipman Hill is also right in the center of what they call Uptown Saint John-- just a few steps away and you will find yourself at the Market Square where the New Brunswick museum is, and a whole stretch of lovely restaurants. At night, the harbour is pretty and patios are filled with people enjoying a pint or two. The food, I would have to say-- is the best I have had during our entire trip in the Maritimes. Within walking distance as well are even more wonderful restaurants like Billy's Seafood and other interesting sites like the Loyalist House, Barbour's General Store, and the Carnegie Public Library. Outdoor adventures are also not far from Chipman Hill Suites-- it is just a few minutes drive from Irving Nature Park and St.Martins Harbour where we went kayaking. Overall, I would choose Chipman Hill Suites all over again the next time we visit Saint John-- definitely highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PlumpyMermaid
chipmanh, Owner at Chipman Hill Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Dear Valued Guest, Plumpy Mermaid, From Toronto;

What a great pleasure it was to have you and your husband come to stay with us during your tour of the Maritime Provinces. You did a lot of driving and I am so glad that you had a chance to stop and rest with us for a couple of days.

Your review is stellar......you could be a travel writer.

We here at Chipman Hill Suites are always very concerned about cleanliness, and are always totally delighted when a guest notices that not only is the room clean, it is super clean. Thank you for all your kind comments about the room, the location, the check in process, and in particular the "clean"!!!

It has been my very great pleasure to correspond with you about your room, our business and our City prior to your arrival, and now, many times since you have gone back home. Thank you for your friendship.

There are newer reviews for Chipman Hill Suites

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Chipman Hill Suites were a great and affordable option for my 7-week stay in Saint John. The architecture was beautiful, the suite was nice and clean and the staff were very quick to respond to any and all requests. Thank you for a lovely stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Valued Guest from Hamilton Ontario;

It was great to have you here for seven weeks! Thank you for choosing Chipman Hill Suites for your stay. We so appreciate your business.

Your review was great, thanks so much.

We are all so pleased that you found your suite to be clean and comfortable and we are delighted that you felt that you received excellent service at all times. That is what we aim for always.

I hope that you will find yourself back in Saint John again in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back to Chipman Hill.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This wonderful hotel exceeded my expectations! The location was perfect to explored central Saint John and very easy to find from the highway. The beautiful architecture of this historical building had the wow factor. The room was very clean and very welcoming. The sleigh bed was plush and relaxing. I rarely sleep the night away, even at home, but I did in this bed. I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Because it is a historic building there may be some concern with those with physical limitations, wh...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest, Rosemary, from nearby Halifax;

We are always happy to have our "next door neighbours" from Nova Scotia come to stay. Thank you so much for choosing Chipman Hill Suites for your vacation and for your description of us as an "excellent vacation stop". That is very much appreciated.

I will have to agree with you, we do have gorgeous beds, and wonderful mattresses and linens. It was so great to hear that you slept thru the night which is very unusual for you. (Any time you are feeling really tired, you know where to come!!)

We also appreciate your thoughts about our rooms being "welcoming" and especially, "clean".

Thank you so much for your business and for taking time to write us this great review. I hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have been living at Chipman Hill for several years. My housekeeper, Shelly is amazing, she goes above and beyond to make sure I am looked after. The management has also helped me out with any issues I might have (thank you Jane and Marilyn) I would encourage anyone, if you are looking for a home away from home,whether it be one night or longer to come to one of the Chipman Hill suites. W C

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Valued Guest, Wendy;

We are so happy to be your home here in Saint John. It says a lot when a guest stays with us literally for years! We thank you very much for your business.

Thank you very much for your very kind comments about our staff members, Shelly, Marilyn and Jane. All of us do our very best to go above and beyond to ensure our guest satisfaction and comfort and it is always very nice to be recognized and noticed.

We very much appreciate your highly complimentary and full marks review here on TripAdvisor. Thank you very much for taking the time to write for us.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This being my first trip to Canada and I was never sure about the kind of place I was going to be put up at.I was told it would be a serviced apartment. Little did I know the kind surprise that was in store for me.I stay in one of the Chipman Hill properties uptown at Saint John.Chipman Hill Suites has an old-world charm about it. Every part of the living area is well thought of, decorated with antique furniture,paintings,carpets.I was pleasantly surprised by the number of books they have for their guests to read. The apartment has chains all over the uptown area of Saint John and nothing is too far away- be it the historic City Market or the boardwalk.The rooms are spacious enough to house a person or two.The kitchenettes are fully equipped with all the modern-day amenities and even cooking dishes.The best part about being with Chipman Hill Suites is being taken care of by the staff. Be it their man-Friday Mike or Shelly, who happens to take care of my everyday needs from changing the sheets to getting my apartment redone once every week to guiding me to the closest hair salon - they're always there as a team. And I must hand it over to Marilyn, who is the non-stop energy behind the entire team that runs the show. Never once has any one of my requests been turned down. If anything, every single thing I have asked for so far has been tended do. I'm so glad that I have been with this warm team for over a month and this is the best I could ask for, in a city that is completely unknown to me.And for the finance-conscious, Chipman Hills Suites offers the best deals and all the facilities are totally worth the money they charge of you. I would recommend Chipman Hill Suites to anyone who would want to stay over at Saint John to experience one of Canada's oldest and finest cities!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Dear Valued Guest, Vidya, from India;

Thank you very much for choosing Chipman Hill Suites for your first stay here in Canada. I am so very happy that you feel comfortable here, and that all your needs and requests are taken care of promptly by our wonderful staff.

All of us here at Chipman Hill Suites congratulate our colleagues, Marilyn, Shelly and Mike on receiving such a nice mention from you in your wonderful review. As you may know, our staff receive an award at our fall party when they are mentioned in a complimentary manner in a full marks review, so you have helped them a lot. Thank you!

We very much appreciate having you as our guest and once again, thank you so much for the lovely review.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I just love having SHELLY ,She does a very good job and she is so friendly it nice to came bake to the room and it very clean .went I have to came to SAINT-JOHN this is the place I want to go.I love the kitchen it nice I can do my meal her. THANK-YOU FOR ALL THE SERVICE THAT I GOT.I LIVE AT 75 CORBURG ROOM# 6.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Dear Valued Guest, Geraldine, From San Antoine;

We are very happy to have you come to stay with us when you have to be in Saint John. It is wonderful to have you as a repeat guest. Thank you so much for taking time to write such a kind review for us here on TripAdvisor, and especially to mention your housekeeper, Shelly, who does such a great job for all her guests.

We very much appreciate your repeat business, and your wonderful review.

Thank you so much.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I was very concerned about staying a month in Saint John and being trapped in one room as you get in a hotel. Chipman Hill Suites lived up to my expiation and then some as it provided me with a large full service kitchen plus the living area. Was wonderful to know that there was a washer and dryer on the premises. The staff was most helpful and anxious to answer any question that I had. When I come back to Saint John will most definitely stay at Chipman Hill Suites.

Room Tip: They have suites to satisfy your wishes.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Valued Guest from Green Valley, Arizona;

I have read your lovely review on several occasions, and would like to thank you very much for taking time to write it for us.

Although we never met until you arrived, thru our emailing before you arrived and meeting you while you were here, I am happy now to count you as a new and good friend. Thank you for your business, your friendship and all the stories that you have provided for our Chipman Hill Suites newsletter.

I am counting the months until you return next summer and will enjoy our emails in between. Hopefully there will be new restaurants to try by the time you come back, and hopefully you will stay longer than a month next time to escape the Arizona heat!

All the best and hope to see you again next summer.