“Fine Breakfast - Little Tweaks Needed”
Review of Bourbon Quarter - CLOSED

Bourbon Quarter
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Bourbon Quarter has changed ownership and has reopened with an updated menu that is sure to please everyone.The all day breakfast is amazing and the lunch and evening menu has been tweaked to accomondate everyones palate.Please come in and enjoy some down south dishes in uptown Saint John
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We went for breakfast on a Sunday morning and had the pancakes with pecan butter and syrup. It was very good and worth the price. We would not hesitate to return for breakfast again. The breakfast menu offered more than what I expected. Service was prompt - however it was not busy.

We always walk by and wanted to try it. There was a disconnect from what I expected prior to going and the experience we had. First the music was atrocious, playing odd songs like Weird Al's "Like a Surgeon" - was very distracting and took away from the atmosphere. We also found the computer tablets on the table (Magnolia Cafe side) distracting with their scrolling ads. (There is the option I learned upon leaving you can sit at Bourbon Quarter side without the computer tablets). The pads had games and trivia, but were not working. I personally feel the waiter was not compatible with the atmosphere and offering the restaurant I suspect was going for. I think what I'm trying to get at is I expected a more dignified experience, and it was far from it. Luckily those are things they can easily change - and hopefully the owners will take notice.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

We ate here while on an overnight trip to Saint John. The restaurant has a great porch out front for al fresco dining. Service was slow but we were there during the week so there was only 1 server. The food was great. We had 2 appetizer samplers and an awesome piece of homemade coconut cream pie. The drinks were good but really expensive. I had 2 very small vodka martini's for $28. Ouch!

Reviewed 11 July 2012

When visiting the Bay of Fundy area the tendency is to get seafood for lunch and dinner. There are good reasons -- the seafood is varied and wonderful. But it is nice to have a real change of pace sometimes, and finding Cajun-southern style food in Saint John was a pleasant surprise. The restaurant is spacious and comfortable, and the service is attentive and professional. The menu is varied, and there is a nice choice of cocktails and wines. The food is good, not great, with tasty ribs and fried chicken. Edamame was used for the hush puppies and also appeared in the succotash -- simply outstanding. Portions are generous so we did not try dessert, although it looked tempting.

1  Thank Jack800
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We wandered into the Magnolia Cafe part of this restaurant after a morning of sightseeing in Saint John. We checked the menus of several places and were inspired by this one. Our lunch was delicious. We each ordered the grilled ham, cheese and apple sandwich. The service was good, the atmosphere pleasant and the food very nice. We were tempted to return for dinner.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

I celebrated my birthday at Bourbon Quarter. The atmosphere and interior is very inviting and modern. We started with the Beef Carpaccio and the Crab Cakes. Both were just okay - nothing special. The Carpaccio was not like the menu described at all, the sauce was barely there. There were no crispy capers and no shaved asiago but it was tender. The crab cakes were small with not much flavour.
I order the Shrimp Creole for my entree and I asked for it a bit spicy. It was excellent, Nice flavours, fresh ingredients and perfectly cooked shrimp in a perfect portion.
My husband ordered the Beef Tenderloin medium rare and it came well done. We sent it back to the chef and after 20 minutes (?) it came back perfectly cooked. But it seemed like a long wait for a return of a medium rare steak.
We had the red velveet cheesecake for dessert which was to die for. So rich and creamy - beautiful.
Overall, a mediocre experience. Not sure that I will rush to go back.

1  Thank SherT