“Good Location, good price, friendly staff!”

Canadas Best Value Inn - Saint John
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Saint John
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good Location, good price, friendly staff!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Yes it is dated but; our spacious, quiet room #323 had a clean comfortable bed. The tub had a rubber stopper, so I had a shower instead of a bath. Every staff we encountered was very friendly and helpful. We had a 20 min. walk to the restaurants on the waterfront. ( We passed the Hilton 15 mins walk). For more money you could stay there. A full cooked breakfast came with the room, so for $99 we felt this was a good price. The elevator is slow; but it worked.

Room Tip: Upon booking ask for a quiet room. This put us in extension on 3rd floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WaterviewSeeker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel was not our first choice or 1 through 6 it was one that had two rooms for our group to stay for two nights. The rooms are dated and have a musty smell. The elevator is slow and really old getting to the 5th floor was a adventure. The hotel also doubles as a group home for folks who are in need of some type of rehab. The stay included a free made to order breakfast, the way it worked was you had a choice of one of eleven breakfast items on the menu. If it wasn't included I would have went else where as matter of fact did on the 2nd morning. The dinning room had a different special each night the Wednesday night special was roast beef, or turkey dinner. The dinner was good for the price. The Thursday night special was a buffet it was really bad the choices were limited food was cold and very tasty I would pass on it.

Room Tip: Try to stay on lower floor the elevators are slow.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gene Z
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Upon registering I was told there was a planned power outage at midnight until 5 am, ok, maybe that can't be helped but I should have guessed that this wasn't going to be a great stay. Upon entering room I noticed everything was very dated although it appeared clean. Bathroom had dirty grout in tub & tub itself was obviously worn. I was in a room with adjoining door which someone kept trying to open ( very thin door between the 2). After calling front desk they decided I could change rooms which I did. Shortly after midnight in this new room, I found out that the toilet wasn't flushing properly. I had an upset stomach most of the night & kept going to bathroom in the dark (power outage) & was very worried about the toilet overflowing, thought somehow it maybe power related?! Around 7am I called the front desk to tell them about it, someone came up, nothing they could do, so I had to move to another room to take my shower & get ready for the day. I hardly slept between worrying about the state of the toilet & no air-conditioning (no power) room was very hot. Staff were pleasant enough, but what a waste of money!! I stayed elsewhere the next night & would absolutely not stay there again. Not a mention was made by staff to make me feel better about having to use 3 different rooms. Old, musty with plumbing problems! Yes, it was "cheap" at $85....but for that price I was still expecting much, much better!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank emmett108

Travellers are raving about these Saint John hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Where does one begin?

The front end staff were very welcoming and friendly. That's as good as it gets. Once you enter the slow one working elevator you get to see the true colors of what this hotel has to offer.

The price for our room was extremely cheap...but for a reason!!! As an interior designer my job is notice potential in a space...this hotel lost its wow factor in the 1990's.

The moment you walk into the rooms (specifically 1310) it has a musty and old dingy smell that caught me off guard. I immediately spray some perfume and go to open a widow..but only to find its window size opening is 5 inches height by 12" inches width. It slides half way and with a big tear through the small screen...no I'm sorry... I do not like sleeping with bugs.

Speaking of bugs..I woke up with 5-8 fang like bite marks on the front of my stomach, back of elbows and upper back. I went to go clean and scrub these bites off and the showers and you cant help but cringe looking at the tile floors which are chipped and very dated. I decided for my healths sake to wear my flip flops while in the washroom at all times. You should too!

Time to go for a swim... not likely! The water in the pool was murky brown and the hot tub was barely filled to the seat level. The room pillows were flat as a pancake, the flourescent lamps would not even turn on in the bedroom and one was missing a bulb... so much for good lighting in our room on a gloomy rainy day. The breakfast bar was okay..bland tasteless but the service was fast (without a smile of course).

We booked 4 rooms in this "hotel" for 8 guests on July 26th 2014 and most of us agreed that we would never return. You truly get what you pay for! Mr. Johnson you should be truly ashamed of yourself making your guests endure this painful stay. I promise you will never receive another penny from our family ever again

This place left a bad taste in my mouth but the beautiful friendly people of St John made up for that. Hire a talented interior designer and bulldoze this place down and start over!

from a guest in Calgary Alberta

Room Tip: stay away from room 1310 and every other room on floor 3.
2 Thank Natalie W
Petrolia, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Monty python's routine notwithstanding, this hotel was the worst i have been in since a hostel in Suzhou, in China.last autumn. There, at least, i had considerably lower expectations for a considerably lower price. To be fair, we had just come from a Holiday Express, not the worlds most wonderful hotel chain, but generally acceptable, but this hotel was beyond pale.
First, the carpet in the room was filth the furniture was badly beaten up and the bathroom had peeling wallpaper and a tub without a plug -- but who needed it, the water was not going down the drain anyway when one had a shower. The breakfast was nice. I would not have priced it at nine dollars, given that it was two eggs, a bowl of tinned fruit and two pieces of toast. But it was nicely presented by a pleasant waitress. It cost nothing extra and was quite adequate with decent coffee. The desk staff were young people who , although pleasant, had no way of handling the complaints of disgruntled clientele. they became a little defensive, then apparently indifferent, but understandably so; the management has put them in a position of having to listen to complaints over which they have no control. For example, how does a young person with minimal experience deal with a complaint about a stale doughnut left in the microwave in a room. That was the experience we had. Why didn't we leave? We hwad not wanted to drive in a rain, so opted to spend another day in New Brunswick. We won't do that again, not if our only option is a Howard Johnson.
Bottom line. Don't tell me that you will deal with that problem. I bet I could go back next year and deal with the same or similar issues. Fix the darn problem and let me know that I won't feel grubby in your hotel for the same price that I feel good in another hotel. I am going traveling in the States in November by car, and I can guarantee I will not be stopping at a Howard Johnson.

Room Tip: Yep, try another hotel.
1 Thank Michelle C
Val-d'Or, Québec, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2014

When you pay 108$/night for 2 adults / 2 children with a hot breakfast included, you can't expect a 5 star. Although this hotel needs some work and renovation, it was clean and the room was comfortable. The deco was a bit outdated, but I can't see that when I sleep, and I did sleep very well, the beds were very comfy.
The hot breakfast offered a choice of about 10 different choices, and was very good.
The service at the hotel and restaurant was good.
It's location is interesting, close to many tourist attraction, about 1km from the reverse falls.
Wi-Fi is so-so...

Minot, North Dakota
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Dropped in from a day of touring Maine and NB.
They had very friendly staff and nice enough rooms.
The hotel is dated and needs some current touch ups.
Pool and the routine amenities.
The included made to order breakfast is good so you can have your eggs and toast etc. There is 11 different breakfast options to choose from.
Bathroom sink was the typical motel sink slow draining and taps in the sink and tub turn backwards.
Wifi is sketchy so you may have to leave the room to access the internet.
We would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014