“More of a hostel than anything”

Newman House Hostel
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed one night here on our way from Maine to Nova Scotia . The rooms and location is nothing to look at but are clean and private . Sharon , the owner , is a trip and will do what she can to help you . If your not to fussy and on a budget this place is perfect . Breakfast was ample with good coffee being brewed .

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 10 June 2013

The owner is very friendly, cooked meals and offered car rides. This is a house and the amenities are more like a b&b than a hostel; large bathroom, kitchen, and living room plus wifi and pool table. Call ahead before you arrive.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Newmanhousehostel, Owner at Newman House Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

Thanks for the great review! Please come again and send your friends. I always have room for more fun guests in my life!
We are always seeking to improve so I am offering a complimentary City Tour. My friends have now heard enough of the stories from my Tour Guide course LOL

Reviewed 26 March 2013

Had a very pleasant experience staying at this place.

First off starting off with the hospitality - Sharon is excellent in terms of ensuring that her guests feel at home and are comfortable at all times. She she cooks really delicious food!

Location - Location is great, they have a new address which is Dorchester and it is a peaceful locality with lots to do. There is a boat house which is very near to this location and easy access to local markets.

Stay - I would rate it as excellent! Very clean and Comfortable. You have parking space and free WiFi for you to access. You get to meet and interact with guests as well :)

I would definitly recommend this place and looking forward to staying at Newman's House hostel when ever i travel to Saint John.

Regards,
AJ

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank anshuljoshi1

Thanks AJ
You almost make me blush :) I truly enjoy my guests and am working on making my new digs even better each month. I am offering a complimentary City Tour to those who want to listen to my stories. Hope to see you again

Reviewed 20 February 2013

My friend and I arrived in Saint John late in the evening and had no planned accommodations. We called the Newman House Hostel where we spoke to the owner Sharon. She gave us directions to the hostel from our current location and made our beds. We arrived and were both very pleased by a clean and comfortable hostel. There was good parking and also a good selection of breakfast foods.
Sharon was fantastic, showing us a map of the Saint John area and giving us countless ideas for things to do the following day, and helpful information such as where to park, or how to get back on the highway to get out of town.
I'm sure I will one day return to Saint John and I would certainly stay at this hostel again, as well as recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. I have upgraded our new location in the uptown area continuously since your stay and am now improving our services to include City Tours as well as a trip to St Martins and the Sea Caves.
I would love to host you and your friends in our city on the Bay!

Reviewed 13 June 2012

I have stayed in over 110 hostels around the globe and I deem this one to be very unsafe and filthy. There was no staff until this teenage girl came around at 8am the next morning just to grab our money, she claims she stayed the night but in reality her three rabbits kept us up all night in the room next door- RABBIT POOP EVERYWHERE, even in our room. No doors were locked and no noted were left. Very sketchy guy outside. The sheets were dirty. STAY IN A HOTEL, this place was terrible.

Room Tip: Don't stay upstairs in the "dorm"- you'll never get any sleep with the animals nex...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank MarieCali
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Thank you for your comments, Marie. I wish I had been here so you would not have had to deal with the bunnie situation. Due to a family illness, I had been with my granddaughter for an overnight period beginning on the day of your arrival. It was very unfortunate situation for you and your traveling companion.

The boarding student who volunteered to let you in considered the cage too confining for the bunnies and did not understand the ramifications! Much to my consternation! Upon my return shortly after your departure, I found a horrible bunnie mess in the common area! Not only was there droppings! but they had chewed wallboard, door trims, flooring,and cables and wires. Under my care, they are caged at all times( in a remote location). Thankfully my steamer worked wonders in eliminating everything but the damage to trim remains as a reminder!.

I can assure you that I put clean sheets on the beds on the day you arrived and left the room steam cleaned.

As to the 'sketchy' young man outside- he was a fellow guest and International Student who was smoking outside. ( Newman House Hostel is NON-smoking) His English is improving in the two years he has been here in Canada but he is very shy talking to females due to his cultural background.

As to security, I have had a carpenter verify that there are working locks on every door and we have a secure locked area for bikes in the yard. The yard area is fenced with an eight foot fence. There is also an area for secure luggage storage inside.

Unfortunately, that student decided you were not coming and may not have been present until early morning. It is possible she may have left the International Student 'in charge'.

I have learned that I cannot entrust others comfort to fellow guests.. If I have an emergency , I now simply close the hostel since I am the only worker on staff.

Due to your experience, I would like to offer you a complete refund. Please email me at the email on Backpackers.ca to complete that transaction through PayPal.

Thank you for you comments. I assure you that was a one time unfortunate situation with the bunnies. Please note my guest comments on TripAdvisor, on AirBNB, or Hostelworld.com.

I do strive to make my guests stay comfortable, clean and safe.

Sharon Raeburn
Owner/operator
Newman House Hostel
Saint John NB

Reviewed 17 July 2011

I'm not young anymore, and have some money in the bank. But I still crave adventure, local colour, and friendly strangers when I pass through a new place and decide to stay a while. In Canada, taxes are so high and so far-reaching that hotels have no choice but to rip people off. Value in the beautiful city of St. John? I was skeptical. But I found Newman House. I met some really interesting young travelers, and enjoyed their stories. I felt welcome, safe, and comfortable in my surroundings. I felt at home. The generous breakfast arrangement was so fantastic. I could use a washer and dryer there, and thank goodness because I'd run out of clean clothes. There was a computer. It's in a real neighbourhood, with a bakery, a bar, and a great thrift store nearby. It's clean. This is a very decent place. Old and basic, but not grungy in the slightest. The best deal in St. John if you don't mind being young at heart again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Alex C
Reviewed 26 February 2011

I cannot recommend Newman House enough. As the name says, it's a house and not necessarily a hostel so it's cosier and more welcoming that your average accommodation. Sharon, the owner, is a fantastic hostess and constantly went the extra mile to make my stay more memorable. From giving me excellent maps, to bringing me on private tours of the area and reversing falls, to making me food and offering the contents of her fridge.

The house is very clean, my room was spacious and warm, my bed was extremely comfortable and I couldn't complain about anything. Newman House is a credit to Sharon and I hope it continues to grow and flourish in the future and I highly recommend it to anyone planning a visit to Saint John. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo