“Kinda dusty” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 16 Saint John B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Kinda dusty”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed one night and was quite comfortable. I was shown a number of rooms but found that the ones in the main building felt rather overcrowded and dowdy. I also thought that the inn was just on the edge of being poorly maintained. Hallway walls were a little scruffy and stairs looked as if they might benefit from a good vacuuming.

Then I was shown one of the cottage-style rooms in the former carriage house and took it feeling that it was cleaner and less crowded. Pine-paneled walls, hardwood floor, smallish bathroom (with a maddening shower head), mini kitchen with eating area. But I thought that it too could benefit from a thorough cleaning after I noticed all the dusty cobwebs in the corners of the ceiling. I would stay here again only if their housekeeping was upgraded. The innkeepers were pleasant, rates were very good and the breakfast was delicious.

Room Tip: See the carriage house rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank chasinchelsea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed 3 nights at this B&B, run by Cheryl & Dwight who are very friendly, helpful and obliging.
The property was built in 1878 so the rooms are large, with high, ornate ceilings. Ours had an ensuite retro-built within the room, but still lots of space. Small fridge & microwave. Breakfast was busy, chatty with thoughtful hot entrees each day. Enough to eat without being stodgy. There are about 7 rooms in all, I think.

Room nicely appointed, including 2 high-back padded leather chairs.
Could be a tad cleaner, but not critically so; we put our empty baggage away on top of the wardrobe to be out of the way, only find thick dust on them when getting them down. The angle where the floor meets the wall could have been cleaner in parts, too. But these are minor points; the place was basically well-cleaned, warm and the 4-poster bed was comfortable.
The shower is cruise-ship size - snug.

It's located about 10 minutes walk (very safe; this is Canada) from the city centre, via a well-laid out English-style park. There is free parking at the side of the building and on-street. Free WiFi.

Thank you, Cheryl & Dwight, for a lovely stay. Recommended.

Room Tip: It's a quiet street; outside noise isn't a factor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I just completed a four night stay at the Earle of Leinster and it was a fabulous experience. So as not to be repetitious, I'll just say that all of the great things you read about this inn are true. What does bear repeating is what warm and welcoming hosts Cheryl and Dwight are. For the moment Dwight picked me up at the airport to the time I left (btw, the taxi was a little late and Dwight was about to take me there himself) I knew that the Earle of Leinster is a very special place with very special innkeepers. They totally aim to please their guests. Each morning you are treated to a delicious and sumptuous breakfast prepared by Cheryl. I like the way they have three breakfast seatings and ask you to choose one. This ensures that there is always space in the breakfast room--just one of the many touches that make you feel comfortable and cared for. As a big coffee drinker, I appreciated Dwight and the bottomless coffee cup :)

I spent my four nights in The Parlour. This room is beautiful, quite spacious and contains a full kitchen. I would highly recommend this room, especially if you plan to prepare some of your own meals. The inn's location is superb--in the Uptown area, not more than five minutes on foot to the Old Market. I thought the area felt totally safe--on two occasions, my friend and I walked from the Delta Hotel to the inn at around 1:00 am. Call us two crazy old ladies, but we both felt perfectly safe.

The next time I find myself in Saint John I will stay here and I heartily recommend the same to any potential guests. Thank you Cheryl and Dwight!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Gabriola Island, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Everything you need in a B&B. The hosts went out of their way to make sure that we were comfortable. The internet connection didn't work well in our room in the Carriage house, but that's okay, you have the key to the main house with access to the basement area that is furnished with comfy couches etc. Our room had a small kitchenette, tv, a comfortable clean bed & it was quiet.

Cheryl made us wonderful breakfasts, tailored to our diet & Dwight made sure that we always had a full cup of coffee.
The price was very reasonable especially for the location, walking distance to downtown St John. If we ever go back to St John, this will be the place to stay.

Room Tip: If you like to be off by yourself, then the carriage house is the perfect spot. It's in the bac...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

New owners haven't had it a year yet and are updating (it does need it). Good, hot breakfasts and wonderfully friendly innkeepers. They don't live on the property, but make themselves available.

Nice walk to downtown. Very reasonably priced - although the prices are in flux at this point.

Room Tip: Rooms seem to vary greatly, so call and talk to Dwight and Cheryl if you are in doubt
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LAEricson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

What a great place to stay... the rooms are amazing, very homely and lots of character. Only a few minutes walk from Uptown (Downtown) Saint John. The owners Dwight and Cheryl are great hosts and made my stay very enjoyable. The breakfasts are awesome as well! If I'm ever in Saint John again, this is where I'll be staying.

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank NehPets83
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

We arrived in St. John late evening but when we called re accommodation, Dwight was more than happy to give us directions and bedded us down in a suitable room. The establishment is a short walk from town and many choices for lunch and dinner.....but the best meals were the breakfasts that Cheryl cooked!! They gave us excellent advice re taking a city tour (city bus),mornings were fun in the small dining room where everyone shared their experiences, and we certainly would recommend them highly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple