“Great, Inexpensive place”

Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Saint John
lizza13
“Great, Inexpensive place”
Reviewed 23 September 2007

We stayed here from September 7 to September 9, and we did enjoy our stay. The rooms were very clean, despite the age. The rooms were older, but kept up well. When I had called to inquire on the rooms and that bad review, the owner was very understanding. She told us that we could come and check it out for ourselves before we actually booked the room. I though, "hey, what is there to lose?" So, we went, and had a great stay. The breakfast was excellent. It's not downtown, so you don't get the heavy traffic from the city, and it's close to the main highway to get into Saint John. Overall, I did enjoy my stay and would do so again if we ever go to Saint John again.

• Liked — The price and breakfast included.
  • Disliked — The distance from downtown.
  • Stayed September 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank lizza13

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Toronto
Reviewed 23 August 2007

Cookes Motel @ Saint John, New Brunswick. August 16th to 19th.
Based on the bad review of July 2007, I almost cancelled my booking . I called Susan at Cookes Motel and told her about the bad review and how I was apprehensive about staying with them. She said," come and check everything out for yourself and then decide" and that is exactly what we did.
The rooms were large with two double beds, clean and well maintained. Towels and linen was changed every day. It was value for money. We had absolutely no cause to complain. The staff were all exceptionally helpful and very courteous. The breakfast could be improved a bit in terms of quantity. I mentioned this to Susan. Our overall rating on a 1 to 10 scale would be 7.5. If you are a budget traveller with no desire for extra luxury, this would be the place.
Eshwar P Sitaraman, Toronto.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Nothing in particular
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank TorontoNadodi
swastika, ontario
Reviewed 25 July 2007

We were there July '07. I based my stay on the previous review. Oh how times have changed!!!! It was horrible. The only positive was the great water pressure. The beds were lumpy and felt like crators in the center. The towels are now threadbare and sparse. The breakfast is the worse let down. You have a choice between 2 eggs, 2 (bacon, sausage) or ham and one piece of toast. Or frozen no name blueberry waffles and the meat. The eggs were consistantly overcooked, sausage undercooked, bacon precooked. Bread sparsely buttered and half size jam. Coffee tasted as if it had been run through a sock, the juice was watered down. I can tell you I would have been disappointed had I payed $20/night instead of the $50. Oh yes, the smell, mold, and upon inspection found the source on the curtains. I was repeatadly "attacked" by the shower curtain. All in all it was awful. BEWARE!

Stayed July 2007
6 Thank kimberleywalker
CookesMotelMgmt, Manager at Cooke's Motel, responded to this review, 11 August 2007
This guests stayed at our motel with her husband, daughter, mother, & a dog in two rooms for 4 nights. I gave her a rather large discount for her rooms based on the length of stay & combination of multiple rooms (approximately $85CAD). We have select rooms that we place animals in because animals tend to make a big mess. After supplying the guests with 6 additional towels in each room, which these people proceeded to use the towels on their dog (creating stains on the towels), they proceeded to complain about everything, including the coffee and breakfast which is most suitable for most people. We made stronger coffee specifically for them (Folgers brand). If they had not liked the breakfast, why did they continue to eat it every morning? On two mornings the previous owner came to cook the breakfast, still they are not happy? If their guestroom was so filthy, why didn’t they check out & go someplace else? We also provided a new shower rod because she said that the shower curtain was too far into the tub. We had just purchased this property from an older woman that had let it run down quite a bit. She had left us with only 12 sets of towels & sheets. We have remodeled the bathrooms, painted the rooms, & washed all bedding, shower curtains, & shampooed the carpets, etc. We have painted the exterior of the motel & started the cabins & the office. As of August 4, 2007, we have purchased new towel sets to accommodate our guests. I don’t believe they would have been happy in the Ritz-Carlton or Waldorf Astoria penthouse suites in New York City.
chicago, illinois
Reviewed 31 August 2005

For those heading to New Brunswick, or even en route to Nova Scotia through New
Brunswick on the 1, I suggest that you stop at Cooke's Motel in West Saint John.
Just off the 1 on the old main highway, the setting is not that impressive as
you approach: the buildings surely must date back to the '50s when this place
was first established. Nonetheless, each unit provides a spacious and charming
accommodation. In addition to the comfortable basic amenities, my room had a
frig, a micro-wave, and several cable TV stations. The towels, which were like
small fluffy rugs they were so thick, were in ample supply as well. An added
bonus is the HOT breakfast that owner Paulette Cooke provides for her guests on
order in the morning. In addition, she has a wealth of information concerning
the Saint John area- eateries and night life included. If there is a drawback,
it is that the units show their age a bit- my bed a little lumpy- and there was
no A/C (didn't need it the night I stayed in August '05, though). Nonetheless,
everything was very clean and the surroundings, a yard and picnic tables, too,
made for a pleasant stay. The final significant note is that this cost me only
$49C for a single! When you throw in that breakfast- the package is a steal!!!
I will surely be back next time I'm out this way, and I recommend it to others
looking to save a buck or two but still needing a good night's lodging.

8 Thank sand-da-man