“Perfect for my needs”
Review of Hillside Motel

Hillside Motel
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Saint John
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed at Mr. Kant's location in May 2013, along with several other family members. I researched before making my reservation as to what I needed and the location and the price. The facilities are like home, My single room was perfect for me, like a comfortable bedroom. I had plenty of hot water, it was very quiet and peaceful, and the Wi-Fi (with Mr. Kants help) worked just fine once I got logged on. The hotel is an older facility, but I was okay with that and I had a beautiful view of the ferry out my back window, and a nice sea breeze that helped to keep me calm. The location was perfect for me (near other Saint John Relatives) and nearby restaurants for all meals. I was very happy with my accommodations (So were my other family members) and will stay there again, when I travel back to Saint John.

Room Tip: Room # 11 is perfect for a solo traveler or couple - one queen bed.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 September 2013

I was travelling with my dog and wanted a reasonably priced place to stay. Hillside Motel was perfect. It's convenient to the highway (but not right on top of it), the rooms are very clean and mine had a microwave and sink. I had no problem getting on the internet (and staying on). The bed was very comfortable and my bad back is pretty fussy. Mr. Kant was very accommodating and helpful, giving me nearby restaurant suggestions. The motel is also close to the Irving Nature Park, a wonderful place to walk along ocean cliffs or on the beach. I would definitely recommend the motel and plan to stay there again on my next trip.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2013

As we were traveling on a budget and with pets and needed to stay for a couple of nights in Saint John we were looking for a reasonably priced place to stay. The Hillside Motel fit our requirements and we were exceedingly satisfied with the service Mr. Kant provided to us. Although the rooms are dated, as had been mentioned in the reviews we read, ours was definitely clean and the beds provided a comfortable nights sleep. The availability of a fridge and microwave in out room was a bonus.

Mr. Kant, besides being a genuinely friendly and accommodating person, is a fountain of knowledge about places to see and eat and did a great job at making our stay a very good experience. Would definitely stay here and again and would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed one night at this establishment and we had a different experience than the other reviewers. Yes, the Manager was friendly and helpful but I expect more than that.

Unlike others, we had NO Wi-Fi reception at all in our room, no matter what we tried. When I spoke to the Manager he told me I could use my iPad in the Front Office. My husband went to the end of the building closest to the Front Office and had some reception. When hotels etc offer Wi-Fi, patrons should at least be able to access it in their rooms.

The bathroom had no power point for any appliances nor did it have a hair dryer. The front door to our room needs some maintenance - once shut, it was very hard to reopen. Also, when I tried to open the window over the kitchen it wouldn't budge.

Perhaps it may also be time to replace the mattresses as I found mine not too supportive. Our room also looked a little 'tired'.

Overall, I wouldn't stay here again or recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Sharonkai48
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I recently stayed at the Hillside Hotel with a group. There were 10 of us. Although the decor is a bit dated, the rooms were clean, the price was right and the owners were extremely accommodating. We were all on motorcycles and sometimes we find that the stereotype follows us but not so at this motel. They were very welcoming, great with recommendations for places to eat in the area and they have complimentary coffee in the am.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I used the previous reviews to book my stay and found the motel to be as described. The room was clean. Yes, the place needs a lot work, but it was convenient and reasonable. There were a microwave, fridge, and stoneware coffee cups in the room. I enjoyed the beautiful flowers planted on the grounds and a view of the ocean. Kant was extremely helpful regarding attractions and directions.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2013

After reading all the reviews we knew we would be staying at this little place and it was good, Mr Kant was so nice and very helpful Only spent one night but it was clean and comfortable. Motel it old and in much need of repair but the service makes up for it. Even had real cups and saucers in room. Glad we stayed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple