“Basic motel, but good value”
Review of Hillside Motel

Hillside Motel
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Saint John
Morpeth, United Kingdom
“Basic motel, but good value”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

The Hillside Motel was certainly on a hillside, with a site sloping steeply. The rooms were fairly basic, but satisfied our needs. It was both easy to find and the owner was both friendly and helpful - providing maps and instruction to find restaurants (including, but not only, his wife's).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Last fall, we stayed in the same family suite as the review below. We were perfectly happy with the suite and pleasantly surprised (it exceeded our expectations). Considering the price, we were expecting far less. The service was excellent and everything was clean. Mr Kant went out of his way to ensure our needs were looked after. This was the only reasonably priced hotel that we could find in Saint John that also had a kitchen where we could cook. We did not want to eat in restaurants at restaurant prices. I was thrilled to find a hotel that offered kitchen facilities. We plan to stay in the same suite again this fall.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had booked an ‘executive two bedroom family suite’, shared full kitchen, bathroom, 2 bedrooms. The saying: “you get what you pay for” is certainly true in this case. We only paid $ 104 for 4 adults but found an apartment which hadn’t seen renovations in a long time. The furniture was very old and the apartment felt uncomfortable. It was on the second floor of an older home. The carpet in the hall way was stained, many tiles in the kitchen and bathroom floor broken, the radiator in the bathroom rusty and the ceiling above the bath tub mouldy. The blinds were very dirty.
The location was alright. By car it took only a few minutes to get to a shopping center and some eating places. The staff was friendly and helpful.
However, we would only recommend this apartment when you really don’t want to spend money on comfort.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Saint John hotels

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I was roadtripping with two friends, and we stayed at the Hillside Motel for a night on our journey home. The Hillside is a "roadside motel" type of establishment and has a retro feel to it. The room was remarkably clean (as my one friend put it, it was one of the cleanest motels she's stayed in) and had been recently spruced up. Mr. Kant was friendly as can be, and was helpful in providing directions-- his kindness alone was worth the stay! All in all, I'd definitely recommend the Hillside Motel for anyone passing through Saint John.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Clayton
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed at Mr. Kant's location in May 2013, along with several other family members. I researched before making my reservation as to what I needed and the location and the price. The facilities are like home, My single room was perfect for me, like a comfortable bedroom. I had plenty of hot water, it was very quiet and peaceful, and the Wi-Fi (with Mr. Kants help) worked just fine once I got logged on. The hotel is an older facility, but I was okay with that and I had a beautiful view of the ferry out my back window, and a nice sea breeze that helped to keep me calm. The location was perfect for me (near other Saint John Relatives) and nearby restaurants for all meals. I was very happy with my accommodations (So were my other family members) and will stay there again, when I travel back to Saint John.

Room Tip: Room # 11 is perfect for a solo traveler or couple - one queen bed.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Twin Mountain, New Hampshire
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I was travelling with my dog and wanted a reasonably priced place to stay. Hillside Motel was perfect. It's convenient to the highway (but not right on top of it), the rooms are very clean and mine had a microwave and sink. I had no problem getting on the internet (and staying on). The bed was very comfortable and my bad back is pretty fussy. Mr. Kant was very accommodating and helpful, giving me nearby restaurant suggestions. The motel is also close to the Irving Nature Park, a wonderful place to walk along ocean cliffs or on the beach. I would definitely recommend the motel and plan to stay there again on my next trip.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Yorkton, Canada
Reviewed 18 September 2013

As we were traveling on a budget and with pets and needed to stay for a couple of nights in Saint John we were looking for a reasonably priced place to stay. The Hillside Motel fit our requirements and we were exceedingly satisfied with the service Mr. Kant provided to us. Although the rooms are dated, as had been mentioned in the reviews we read, ours was definitely clean and the beds provided a comfortable nights sleep. The availability of a fridge and microwave in out room was a bonus.

Mr. Kant, besides being a genuinely friendly and accommodating person, is a fountain of knowledge about places to see and eat and did a great job at making our stay a very good experience. Would definitely stay here and again and would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family