“Stay Away and do not trust what they tell you”
Review of Colonial Inn

Colonial Inn
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Saint John
Toronto, Canada
“Stay Away and do not trust what they tell you”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Had more of the appearance of a grungy bar instead of a hotel. Had stained sheets, dirty, beer bottles on the counter. All this for $75/NT, Only stayed for one hour then left with the assurance of a full refund. Of course I had to get my credit card company to reverse the charges for the first night. I will not go back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I don't see how any stars can be awarded to this place. The entrance/lobby was dirty, the back parking area was filled with drunks hanging out by their trucks; the door was broken (allowing free access); the carpets were dirty. We were scared. We stayed elsewhere. Don't stay there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 1elyakin1

Travellers are raving about these Saint John hotels

Lower Sackville, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Where to start......This place sucks, pool closed, ice machine broke, place smells funny, back door not even locked, restaurant only open for breakfast, bathroom looks like there is some mold in it as well, booked for 2 but might only be 1 night, see what happens....and none of this noted on the website, only worth about 25.00 a night if you ask me. Very dated and disappointing, especially for a 4 year old who was so excited about the pool...Recommend this place....never, find somewhere else the extra money would be worth it.

Room Tip: Book anywhere else but the colonianl inn, saint john
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Newfie3670
Appleton
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Aside from the lower price and very nice front desk worker, this place did not have much going for it. First we noticed the musty smell throughout the hotel that continued right up to our room., The floors were covered in dark stains which gave the impression that it wasn't clean, although it probably was as best as it could be, The bathroom was bright and looked pretty clean until you came to the door which was obviously overlooked. It had brown smudges all over the inside of it by the handle which kind of grossed me out. The bed was comfy enough (i'm not picky) but when I turned down the comforter, there were yellow stains all over. The sheets were clean and fresh at least but they should really spring for some new comforters. The layout of the hotel was strange. Our room was located directly across from the lobby and bar so if we had kept our windows open, people would have been able to see right in. We decided to take a walk and look for the pool which we found very easily, because on our floor, there was an observation spot with smudgy hand prints all over the windows and disgusting built in chairs that were covered in dusty green shag carpet. The pool was pretty big but in desperate need of an update. When we went down to see if we could get in, right before the pool entrance, there was an open door that led to a very large pitch black room. I'm guessing there was some kind of construction going on. It was kind of scary and dangerous, especially if you consider the fact that you don't need a key to get into the building. Anything or anyone could have just slipped in and had themselves a stay. The parking lot was not well lit and there was some pretty disgusting disposed items near where we had parked our car (use your imagination). They have a continental breakfast but we were in too much of a hurry to get out of there to try it. We laughed off most of it, but I really would not recommend this hotel if you are traveling with children or if you have allergies. Stay if you are not picky and have a good sense of humor.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julia E
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Where to start?, Musty moldy smell throughout, Smoking gamblers at machines in front lobby, rat traps at the doors, bathroom you would not use, doors that did not shut properly, hot tub had disgusting foam in it, rooms have not be upgraded since 1960 (except TV), fitness room was an old treadmill and one barbell, carpet throughout was sticky. That's most of what I remember in the 10 minutes I was there. My head was so stuffed up in 10 minutes I booked a room at the Chateau. NO COMPARISON!!!. Well well worth the extra $25 buck.
P.S. Be careful booking on-line. Reservation was made from a call center somewhere in the United states. They lied about the rating on this inn.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark G
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2013

My family and I stayed March8-9 2013 and that one day was too long, This place should not have any stars what so ever, the room was filthy, the stair ways were dirty , dim and the handrails scared us, the gaps between the railings were so huge , I'm shocked no one has fell through them, the bathroom was dirty as soon as I looked in the tub there was hair in it,the pool was dirty, and there was blue mold on the walls, our exit was blocked off, if there was a fire we would have had to walk 5 minutes out of the way to get out, where we parked the car was poorly lit and was praying when we woke up to have tires on the car, and the free breakfast oh my gosh was a joke, the 4 slice toaster was broken , the bread was so stale, it was falling apart in my hand, could not even butter it if literally turned into crumbs,needless to say it was not cheap to stay here,and will never come here again I would strongly advise EVERYONE to book else where, I tried to book at Best Western ( they were booked and for a very good reason) and was assured that the Colonial had the same star rating as them NOT TRUE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM!!!!!!!!! Rating of this property is -5 !!!!!! Sadly disappointed!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Julie S
Moncton , NB
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I recently stayed here on Feb 9 , 2013, I will say my stay was ok , I paid for a 3 star Inn and thats what i received. The place could be updated however i wasn't expecting glamerous accomodations. The pool here is really nice and large , it also has a hot tub and sauna, which my kids liked. The stay does come with a Hot continental breakfast so I though this was excellent and we did get a discount on our room as we have a goverment rate. so all i n all , it's not a bad bang for the buck. If you want a 5 star , then pay for one !

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family