“Mold in bathroom and fridge! Freezing room, heat did not work!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Colonial Inn

Colonial Inn
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Saint John
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Mold in bathroom and fridge! Freezing room, heat did not work!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Poor choice even by average standards.
The staff were friendly.
Entire hallways were either closed or under repair and halls/rooms that were available were old, rundown, cold and much smaller/cramped than advertised! Not an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Just don't do it.
We checked in and were greeted by the smell of curry, alcohol and cigarettes. Our room was down a terrifying hallway with hallway doors that would lock behind you... we passed a group of teens getting high in the hallway. Upon arriving at our dirty, scary room, we decided that it wasn't worth it and checked out, got our money back and went to the lovely Chateau across the highway.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank abricadabra

Travellers are raving about these Saint John hotels

Dartmouth, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

please do yourself a favour and avoid at all costs this place. our carpet was filthy, nothing worked, a light bulb blew by the bed. paint was chipping. towels were frayed. it was hideous. never again~

Room Tip: avoid at all cost
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cntrygranny
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

There is no rating scale that can cover exactly how bad of a hotel The Colonial is, terrible just doesn't do it justice. There is no exaggeration when I say it's the worst hotel I've ever been inside of. If I didn't have such a good sense of humor, we'd have chosen to sleep in the van instead of this place. We decided to stay though, against our better judgement, since we were in St. John to work and got in much later than anticipated. Plus if I can say anything, I'll say it was a true experience...one that you simply can't (or shouldn't) pay for.

The lobby is worn down and grungy looking, with VLT's within 6 feet of the desk. Check-in was a terrible experience; they'd messed up the reservations and had issues figuring out the room charges. Speaking of which, it's not cheap to stay in this dive...it was $75 a night! When we finally got into our rooms, the TVs didn't work and we had to go through the entire process again.

The whole place has the smell of someone's damp basement, and looks exactly like every hotel in every bad horror movie. The hallways are worn and dark, and every room we went into had small holes in the walls (I first referred to them as bullet-holes). I later discovered that you could see right through to the other room through these holes...I spent twenty minutes searching the room for holes and plugging them with paper.

The beds were "clean" although my blanket looked like someone had rolled around in it with a lit cigarette. I woke up the first morning to find that I had only two moderately clean hand towels to dry off with after my shower, which went from hot to freezing cold within the span of five minutes.

The furniture in the rooms was either broken or filthy. I didn't know a chair could get as dirty as the ones in my room were. They looked like a sweaty old man had spent weeks sitting there on a crack binge. My things never touched a surface in the room, it all stayed in one pile on top of my suitcase on a table in the middle of the room. I wore sneakers the entire time, as I seriously didn't dare to touch the floors. The rug looked relatively new but was already stained and needed a major cleaning.

To top it all off, on Saturday night I left my friend's room to go to mine, and when I got in the hall there were men in thongs, women in lingerie, various naked people, and people wearing collars just chilling out. I'm rarely shocked by anything, but when you walk out of a hotel room to be faced with a 400 lb man walking up the hall buck naked, it's pretty surprising. I called the front desk, more curious than upset at this point, and said "Is there a party going on that we don't know about? There seem to be a bunch of naked people hanging out in the halls..." He replied with nonchalance "Oh really? I can come check it out. Are they bothering you?" It was hysterically funny at this point.

To sum it up, don't stay here...please...it's so bad.

My only recommendation would be that someone needs to knock the entire place down, and start fresh. No amount of renovations can help The Colonial Inn.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
10 Thank Kelly B
Brewer, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Recently took a family vacation with a stop in St. John... we literally drove into the parking lot and drove right back out to find a better, safer looking place to stay. A homeless shelter likely would have been more comfortable than this. You could visibly see the locks had been pried off som of the doors and there were literally 4-5 old bathtubs lying outside in the parking lot. Did not look or feel safe at all. Do yourself a favor and drive in the opposite direction and stay in another hotel!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Suzy5485
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

The pictures are extremely deceiving, date the hotel by 10-15 years with no maintenance and only basic cleaning and you have today's version. The hotel is dinghy, the rooms are very basic with outdated decor and cheap bedding, the beds are hard, the carpets dirty (I didn't want to take off my shoes), the wallpaper is peeling and the walls have gouges out of them. The main heating/cooling unit wasn't working and instead had a window air conditioner installed (which meant that we could either close the curtains for the night or leave them open and have the A/C on. We had to call the front desk to get the TV working. The pool was salt water, but we were afraid to use it because of the condition (peeling paint, chipped tiles, overall un-clean appearance). Though the website stated there was a lounge, we were only able to find what looked like a cheap indoor patio with some VLT's. There is no elevator, and even though there are multiple exits, you can only get back into the hotel through the main entrance. Not a great area of town, would not have stayed if room hadn't been prepaid, and we were too late to cancel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lisa W
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Had more of the appearance of a grungy bar instead of a hotel. Had stained sheets, dirty, beer bottles on the counter. All this for $75/NT, Only stayed for one hour then left with the assurance of a full refund. Of course I had to get my credit card company to reverse the charges for the first night. I will not go back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business