“Awesome Gluten Free food”

Suwanna Restaurant & Inn
Ranked #30 of 244 Restaurants in Saint John
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I avoid eating out if at all possible since I have celiac and most places don't even know what gluten is. When I heard that Suwanna's has Gluten Free food, I though we'd give it a try. Turns out 95% of the menu is Gluten Free! Food was amazing our server was fantastic and knowledgeable regarding the gluten issue. Can't wait to return. I now have a place to go out for supper without fear of getting sick. Best meal I've ever had :)

There are newer reviews for Suwanna Restaurant & Inn

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We were a group of 8,yesterday,Feb.8,dining at my favourite restaurant in NB and Canada! Yes,it was a bit chilly at first,but our waiter took care of us,and made us comfortable.
GINGER CHICKEN has been my favorite dish for 24years,since Franz ,the owner had his restaurant in Stanley,NB.I now have added another favorite,Sweet and Sour Shrimp.
LOVE ,LOVE this place!
Thanks so much Franz and Yarwin(sp.?)

Reviewed 13 January 2014

This past Saturday evening, my husband and I made up a table for six at Suwanna.

We have dined at Suwanna on many occasions as it is the favourite restaurant of the friends with whom we dine out the most. We have never had a bad meal at Suwanna, however, this past Saturday evening was, without a doubt, the BEST meal we have ever had there.

The service was excellent and so was the food.

The room was pleasantly warm (which is sometimes difficult to achieve in historic buildings with huge windows in sub freezing temperatures), and a wonderful time was had by all.

My husband discovered a new dish (a beef dish, but I can't remember the name of it), and others had Suwanna Chicken, a couple of curry dishes and so on. Appetizers were excellent too. We each had a spring roll and a chicken satay with peanut sauce. I always have Pad Thai, it is my favourite. The great thing is that Thai is served "family style" so everyone can try everything that is served.

As owner of Chipman Hill Suites, I am often asked by our guests where to go for dinner. I never hesitate in recommending Suwanna to our guests, and I have never had anyone come back unhappy.

Cudos to Suwanna.

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I went last night with a group, and it was my second time at this establishment. It was absolutely FREEZING cold, which I found both times, and there is nothing that the wait staff can do. Be prepared to dine with your parka.

I also have several food allergies, and the waitress was working with the chef and I to modify a dish that I could eat. Unfortunately, not all of the ingredients are listed with the dish description, and something got mixed up along the way.

I ended up with food that I was allergic to in my dish, but was unable to identify it because of the dark sauce that it was mixed with. I had to go to the hospital and get three IV medications.

I called the restaurant to let them know, and told them that I realized that it wasn't intentional, but that I wanted to make them aware. The part that bothered me most was that I was just going to order two small appetizers that I knew I could eat, but the waitress insisted that I order this dish. The man halfheartedly apologized but seemed very nonchalant about the issue and offered me no compensation or incentive to return. I don't think that I will be back.

Dress warmly and be very careful if you have allergies.

2  Thank vfleming
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

My client took me for dinner and I was pleasantly surprised. When we arrived, we were the only guests. They explained it was usually full and it became more busy shortly after our arrival. Living in Toronto, there are several excellent Thai restaurants and I've also been to Thailand on a few occasions so I can say with confidence that this restaurant stacks up well against some of the best Thai food I've had. The place is owned by a Swiss man who serves the food and his Thai wife who both seem to love what they do. They have some unique dishes worth trying.

Tip: try the spicy spinach salad. I've never seen this before but it's worth trying.

1  Thank Stinkyrules