“Best Pad Thai I ever had.........”

Suwanna Restaurant & Inn
Ranked #23 of 240 Restaurants in Saint John
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Saint John, Canada
“Best Pad Thai I ever had.........”
Reviewed 19 November 2010

Suwanna is in a beautiful old mansion. My husband and I were there last evening, as guests of friends, in a party of six. four women and two men. A great time was had by all.

Each of us ordered a dish and we shared them all, so we did, in fact, get to try six dishes. They put the dishes in the centre of the table, and give each diner a plate with rice on it. Each person takes some of each dish and this is how it is done.

I am not a fan of overly spicy food, and for this reason, was not fond of the soup, and in fact, most of us found it way too spicy, but everything else was wonderful.

Service was very attentive also.

The Pad Thai was my choice (with shrimp) and it was simply excellent. My husband had Ginger Beef and it was great also. Really, all the main courses were excellent.

Dessert is excellent as well, and they even make a great cup of tea and coffee.

The building is historic and beautiful, what's not to like? The only problem is that it is often difficult to get a reservation.

Our business, Chipman Hill Suites, provides accommodation to both tourists and people here on long term assignments. We ALWAYS recommend Suwanna to our guests and have NEVER had someone say that they didn't like it.

Congratulations, Suwanna, on a job well done, last night, and every night.

Susan Fullerton
Chipman Hill Suites

Toronto, Canada
“After soo much hype...quite a let down.”
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I love my grandmother but when I go out with my friends we don't want to eat in rooms with that type of decor....pastel colors, dried flowers?! The Thai theme just didn't fit together. The food which was much lauded fell flat. Everything was oily. The spring rolls, the eggplant, the pad thai. I won't go on. The fryers need to be turned up and the food needs more freshness....where was the promised thai basil? Red curry duck was decent but again lacking in flavour. My sates were tough, rubbery and the peanut sauce was..well peanut butter with little else. We left the restaurant very confused but intrigued. We might try again.

1 Thank travellingchef1
Saint John, NB
“Not what I expected...”
Reviewed 13 June 2010

So I read all of these great reviews and heard lots of good things from people around the area, however, when my partner and I went we were so disappointed. We paid almost $50.00 for one beer, an order of Pad Thai and a broccoli stir-fry. Other than the price being higher than expected, the food was not so good. We are from Portland, Maine and have been spoiled with great ethnic food...this does not compare! We left Suwanna feeling a little sick to our stomachs and not just because of the expense.

On a good note, the facility itself is beautiful and if you get a seat near the windows, the views are amazing!

3 Thank jujujeans
Ottawa, Ontario
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Thai in Atlantic Canada”
Reviewed 16 May 2010

The food is excellent and the menu carries all of your typical Thai options plus some I'd never seen before in Toronto, Ottawa or abroad. It's definitely an upscale restaurant and the atmosphere is lovely. The only negative experience I've had was when we went on a hot summer's night - it was packed yet there was no air conditioning so it ended up being stifling.

Saint John, Canada
“Love it!”
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Cold building in the winter, but EXCELLENT food! I have been here several times and am always impressed with the food. It's a great place to come with a group and share dishes.