“Beer and good food; it's a pub, after all...”
Review of Portland Pub & Steak House - CLOSED

Cuisines: American, Canadian, Steakhouse, Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Saint John, Canada
“Beer and good food; it's a pub, after all...”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I like the Portland Pub. I like its lack of pretention, lack of ostentation. Ok, so it's in a strip mall, it's true. And it's not going to set the world on fire in any culinary sense, but I don't go to places with "pub" in the name for that. What it does have is a genuine, down-home, slight hole in the wall feel with warm service and actually quite decent food. My wife and I come here a lot after work when we can't be bothered to cook or just want a post-work drink.

On this occasion, we had the grilled chicken club and the burger with a few beers. The grilled chicken club was excellent (although served on flatbread, not bread); the chicken was moist and perfectly cooked complemented well by cheese and bacon. The fries are ok - I'd love it if they had home fries instead, but oh well. My wife had the cheeseburger - the patties are all made fresh from non-frozen meat. The patties don't have any additives, so the burgers are quite tasty.

I always find the wait staff at the Portland Pub to be quite friendly in a normal kind of way. Ok, it's a little weird that the bar drinks are managed on a separate tab than the food, but alright. I'll let it slide.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Kelihurtin

Saint John, Canada
“Another good trip to the PP”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I went to the Portland Pub and yesterday and noticed an increase in customer service from the servers than usual. Keep it up=:) This is a great place to have a reasonably price pub fare and filled with "colourful" characters to people watch. Out of our three orders, two of them were wrong so they still need to work on accuracy, but both issues were resolved at the speed of light.

• Visited August 2013
Saint John, Canada
“I like a place where you can relax”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Not stuffy and a whole lot of excellent food. If your looking to get pampered, not the place, but if you want to relax, have great food and enjoy life the Portland Pub is the place

Newmarket, New Hampshire
“Just okay”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

1. This is a storefront in a strip mall. Expect the opposite of the picture posted.
2. When I walked in, the waitress, standing 10' away at a register, purposely would not look at me. I kept staring and finally said, "Can I just sit anywhere?" She nodded.
3. While no one was rude to me, regulars get a distinctly different, friendlier kind of service.
4. Food came in a reasonable amount of time.
5. The burger was pretty good. The fries were meh. The gravy was a mistake.
6. I whole-heartedly agree with the reviewer who said this is diner food, not pub food.

I would go back, but not before trying other places in town.

3 Thank nhmillgirl
Saint John, Canada
“Not the real picture of this place.. it's a dive !!”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Just moved to Saint John, and was told to check this place out. The waitress was rude, the place was dirty, we felt like we were bothering her. I wanted steak because, we were told it was a good place to get steak. But ordered burger and fries instead just so we could get the heck out of there faster. The cook had to leave the kitchen to deliver the food to the table. She (waitress) was to busy chatting up the bartender on the other side. My hamburger came, and the condiments were missing. Ketchup & Relish. Not complicated for sure. Finally getting her attention, she seemed put out that she had to come to the table and bring me ketchup & relish. Totally felt uncomfortable. Good burger, but the fries tasted like "Fair fries" greasy and setting on the heat rack to long. When she brought us our bill, she tossed it on the table and walked away. Rude.. to say the least. The drink guy that others have mentioned in their comments.. He NEVER came to our table. We saw him chatting it up with some chick at the bar though. We will never go back ..

• Visited July 2013
jennifer19732013, Manager at Portland Pub & Steak House, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Sorry to hear you were unhappy with your visit at the Portland Pub. Although we do try to make each customer's visit with us a good one, sometimes we do fall short. Anytime you happen to be back in our beautiful city, and are willing to give us another shot, please by all means drop in. Dinner is on us :)