“Excellent East Coast Take on an Eastern Dish”
Review of Newfound Sushi

Newfound Sushi
Ranked #2 of 76 Restaurants in Corner Brook
Price range: US$8 - US$34
Cuisines: Japanese
Description: Newfound Sushi is a full service restaurant specializing in Japanese Fusion. Newfound Sushi Izakaya is the new addition to the restaurant. Izakaya opens at 4pm and serves food until 9pm Tuesday to Thursday. Friday and Saturday food is served until 11pm. We offer nine beers on tap, from local to international. Many of our menu items are tapas style food with shared plates in mind. We have the largest selection of fresh seafood on the West Coast of Newfoundland. Kampai
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent East Coast Take on an Eastern Dish”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife is Japanese and I myself lived in Japan for 5 years. We know our sushi well.

We traveled down to Corner Brook from Gros Morne to go spelunking, but our guide cancelled on us and our day looked like it was going to be a bust. Fortunately a friendly local girl recommended that we go hiking in Bottle Cove, then come back to Corner Brook and go to Newfoundland Sushi for dinner. She saved our day.

I was skeptical about having sushi in Corner Brook. To be honest, I was hoping for a traditional lobster dinner, which oddly we hadn't been able to find on our trip from Toronto to Newfoundland. We even walked past the restaurant a couple of times before deciding to go in.

The place was busy so we sat at the counter. Not a problem, as it is always kind of fun to watch the sushi chefs do their thing. The restaurant has a cheerful atmosphere with local art and nicknacks on the walls. It seemed like customers were a mixture of tourists, local regulars, and some folk boldly trying sushi for the first time.

We decided to order all the local daily specials off the board. We ordered cod tempura, the lobster roll, smoked arctic char, local spicy shrimp roll, and the sockeye salmon nigiri. My wife really liked the tempura, and it was perfect in that it wasn't overly oily as some lesser sushi places tend to make. I found it could have used a touch of salt though. I finally got my Newfoundland lobster! Perhaps it wasn't traditional East Coast style, but it satisfied. The lobster was fresh and tasty, and I was pleased. The lobster didn't hold up to the sockeye however, which was so good we ordered some more later. The fish simply melted in your mouth! The smoked arctic char was equally as amazing. A very northern take on Japanese cuisine. The shrimp roll was generously stuffed with fresh baby shrimp. Sweet and delicious. If I were to nitpick I would say that the rice could have used a touch more vinegar, but sushi is more about the fish than the rice and the fish was excellent.

We purposely ordered the local seafood specials and so I can't comment on the regular menu. However what we did have I would say was a great Canadian take on sushi. We were both very, very happy with our meal. My wife even said it was better than places in Japan.

The meal was also reasonable. With a couple beers and iced green teas, it still cost under $100 bucks. Perhaps because we live far from the sea in Toronto, where places like Kaji can easy go past $400, this seemed like a steal. Our other dinners in Newfoundland were all over the $100 mark so Newfoundland Sushi seemed like a bargain for the quality of meal.

The staff was friendly and up for a chat, making us feel warmly welcomed. Again, after the disappointment of our spelunking being cancelled, Newfoundland Sushi was exactly what we needed to lift our spirits, and it did so perfectly.

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank Todd D

“A Perfect Road Trip Stop”
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

A perfect stop for a nice easy dinner on the way to the overnight ferry in Port-aux-Basques (leave enough time!) Try the house roll. Fish was very fresh. Parking is thin, but manageable.

Thank W.J. G
“Best Sushi ever”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Newfound Sushi has the freshest tasting sushi we've had. The place is spotless and food is fresh. The Dragonfly is delicious and best we've had. Worth the wait. Servers are friendly.

1 Thank Vchaytor
“Best meal in Newfoundland”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I visited Newfound Sushi with my parents and sisters. Most of the items we ordered were from recommendations made by our server - delicious! Our least favourite - the lobster roll, was not her preference but still fresh and better than most.
We loved the restaurant so much that my sisters and parents returned two days later while staying in Deer Lake.,
Great town - Cornerbrook and amazing people.

Visited July 2014
Nunavut, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very slow”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I visited this place today to add to my Sushi list of places I've been around the worlds. I have to say it was the worst service I have experienced. It took forever to get our food so I had to get it to take away. 35 min for Sushi is a bit to long. I will never go back there. Should have just gone to Coleman's and got some already made Sushi.