“Better than home!”

Mount Pearl, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Better than home!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I booked a three bedroom chalet with Visit Humber Valley as part of a ski weekend. As one of two couple traveling together, we thought a chalet would allow us to be together, while also giving us our own space. Boy, were we right! The spacious chalet gave us all the comforts of home and then some! The pool table, outdoor hot tub and fireplace were the perfect extras to make the weekend feel like a real getaway.

Upon arrival, we had some trouble getting the fireplace started. With a quick call to maintenance, they provided some info and told us they would be there momentarily to provide extra assistance. As it turns out, we figured out the problem quite easily as snow had simply covered the outside vent. Too much snow - a great problem to have on a ski vacation! The fireplace was promptly up and running, the hot tub was bubbling and all in all, it was a great experience.

Great accommodations for those traveling as a group or those that want the comforts of home.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank mcomerford78

Victoria, Canada
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 170 helpful votes
“900 km from St John's”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

Nothing wrong with this resort. However you need to know that it's primarily a ski resort. And that it's 900 km from St John's.

So don't go driving all day to get there expecting anything else.

Visited October 2012
9 Thank klimazz
Newfoundland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2011

I loved Humber Valley Resort so much, I moved there full time! The summer is amazing -rainy until June but beautiful. Salmon fishing and golf out your front door. Hiking trails and beach fires just seconds away. Just amazing. I fall asleep to the sound of ducks in the pond and wake up to find moose in my yard. Love it!

Visited April 2011
3 Thank victoriahobbs
Globe Trotter
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Humber Valley Resort, Newfoundland, Canada”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2008

I stayed at the Humber Valley resort for 3 weeks, during the summmer of 2006.

I had just the best time there, we did everything from whale watching, kayaking, hiking in the close by Gros Morne National Park.

It was so enjoyable that our family will return in the winter for some fun in the snow!

1 Thank SASGlobeTrotter
Toronto, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 256 helpful votes
“Humber Valley Resort-Nice, but not for everybody”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2007

I participated in a group trip of guys only to this resort in western Newfoundland along with about 30 colleagues from my investment firm across Canada. We flew directly to Deer Lake airport, about 30 minutes from Humber Valley resort. Our purpose was to play golf, socialize, drink, etc. First the golf:
The course is only a couple of years old, and still a bit of work to do. However, 16 holes have water views, and the elevated tees and beautiful scenery make it a pleasure to play. Even though 2 of 3 days were raining, I was not bored with the course and could see playing it many times. The service surrounding the golf was not very resort-like. We had to fetch our own carts, and nobody offered to wash our clubs or even store our golf bags overnight.
The Resort: The resort is a community of about 170 single family homes stretched along a big area of Deer Lake and the Humber Valley. The homes, or "chalets" are either Lakeside, lake-views, or in a forested area. They are quite new, large and modern, although lacking in any charm or warmth. The construction quality is very mediocre and you would not want your own home built this way. For a weekend rental, it's fine, though. The chalets are fully-equipped, with flat screen TV's, sketchy satellite service and full kitchens. The biggest issue is that when we were there in mid-june 2007, there was virtually no landscaping and so all the roads are dirt, there were trucks everywhere and it was all gravel and stones, no grass. I'm sure this will be worked on.
Environment: The lake is beautiful, but I think it's so cold as to be virtually unswimmable. There is not that much to do on the resort other than golf. They have a restaurant or two on the premises with slow service and mediocre food. The nearest town/city is Corner Brook, which I guess is OK for late-night drinking, but not much else.
The most bizarre thing about Humber Valley is the fact that virtually all the chalets are owned by people from England. Apparently, they fly in charters from Gatwick, London and sell dozens of these things to English people. I have no idea why Newfoundland is so appealing to the Brits, but if I lived in England and were looking for a vacation property, I'd choose somewhere in Spain, or Portugal or Greece, where the weather is nice, not Newfoundland, where they get 2 weeks of summer a year! Anyway, I don't want to be too negative. The locals are all extremely friendly, and Newfoundland itself is quite "retro". Enjoy!

9 Thank flunie