“our meal at bacalao was outstanding.”

Bacalao - Nouvelle Newfoundland Cuisine
Ranked #18 of 395 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Newfoundland Seafood Risotto - sweet local coldwater shrimp, succulent bay scallops, local mussels and lobster. Finished with lobster oil and asparagus!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We found out about Bacalao by chance. We met a couple at the airport in toronto who told us it was their favourite place to eat. We were a tired party of 3 on June 14. 2018
We loved the ambiance. Cozy. Relaxed. Gary was our server. Very informative
Highlight of our dinner was cod tongue
We would definitely like to go back to Bacalao again next year
Our added bonus ?
My husband left his good down jacket there . We phoned a few days later and the owners mother Daphne has mailed it back to us. In toronto
That’s what I call great service!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Having been there a number of times I wanted to treat my American guests to a great meal.i was mortified ,,.,! The beet salad consisted of a few flakes if lettuce and hunks of bottled beets on top. The cod tongues were terrible...the fries were limp and cold...no bread ever put on the table.....I could go on but what’s the point. I will never return and will never recommend the place ever again,

1  Thank Seagull13
Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

Coming from away, had heard many great things about this restaurant and TripAdvisor reviews supported that it was one of the best places to eat I the city “always good.” To the point “good” isn’t “great” and it’s not good enough when you’re paying “great” (high) prices and the food scene in St John’s has exploded. We have nothing bad to say about the food and for an honest and very well prepared local fare, you probably can’t do better ... but you will get better prices. In sum, I can only imagine this is what fine dining in the city once had to boast. It will certainly appeal to some but for the same money, there is no way I could compare this 5 other top restaurants now.

Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

There are far better places to eat in St. John’s. avoid this place as the food is mediocre at best. I ordered the Root Vegetavle dish and just got a plate of Peppers. The rest of the group commented that their meals were tasteless an uninspired.

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

The humble exterior opens to a cozy place with several small dining rooms. The menu has a number of attractive choices so we chose some exotic and some more familiar. The Flipper Pie, an appetizer made with seal meat was a delicious discovery. Salt Cod over potato and vegetables was excellent, as was the salmon. Somewhat limited wine list. Excellent service. Pricey.