“A pleasant stay”
Review of Cabot Guest House

Cabot Guest House
Ranked #17 of 25 St. John's B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I would strongly recommend Cabot House if you are looking for a beautiful place to stay in St John's. It is very convenient, with high rate quality/price.
My room was very comfortable, big and elegant. Breakfast is huge and delicious. The house itself dates back to Victorian times. The bus stop is very close.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Cabot Guest House

Reviewed 12 April 2013

Visited St. John’s on a family vacation trip recently and was very satisfied with this B&B – very clean, excellent location – walk to downtown, great views… very friendly personnel, prompt service… chandler seemed to be a bit excessive in size… and some paintings didn’t match the frame style but hey… can’t be happy with everything!

Room Tip: Go for that Jacuzzi suite!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MCrimson
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Stayed a week with my boyfriend. Our room was great and the service was wonderful! We stayed another week in November in a different room. Again the room/service went beyond our expectations. It made our visit to St John's that much better!

Highly recommended

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Willisthenewfie
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed at Cabot House for one night. We had to change our reservation due to unforseen circumstances so I called to arrange a different night during the same week. The first time I called the person on the other end asked me to call back. I thought this was strange but I decided to go ahead and call back later. I called again later and the guy said that he was out of the office, it was 9:00 and I would have to call back again. Frustrated, I called back the next day and once again he told me to call back in 10 minutes. I called back again twice and got the same response - to call back in 10 minutes. So, finally I told him that he has told me quite a few times now to call back and that I need to get this reservation changed. To my astonishment he told me to call back again because he was on the other line with Air Canada booking a trip to Mexico. My husband finally called and managed to get it changed.
When we got to the B&B there wasn't anyone there and they had an envelope left by the door with our room key in it. Also, in the room there was a folder containing information about the establishment that explained that if you wanted breakfast you had to let them know by 10:00 the night before. I couldn't believe this since this was a Bed and BREAKFAST!! The way it was worded in the folder was that they didn't serve breakfast from December to June and that they could get someone on some sort of overtime basis if we wanted breakfast. To say the least we were not very pleased!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Leonard C, Public Relations Manager at Cabot Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2017

We are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. This was an off-season booking when we generally have no guests and only skeleton staff. There has always been a live in caretaker / concierge on the property however.

Every legitimate criticism is a learning opportunity.

Reservations will not be handled outside of normal office hours and calls will be routed to an answering machine and dealt with by appropriate staff during scheduled working hours.

Registered guests are provided with an after hours emergency telephone number to the live in caretaker

We have ended our hot breakfast service and have changed over to a more convenient self serve continental breakfast between 7:30 and 9:30. Dietary habits have changed so much in recent years with many people preferring not to have the smell of cooked pork products or of fishcakes even on the premises. There is a major supermarket complex just around the corner where guests with lactose or gluten intolerance can pick up foods to meet their specific dietary needs. These can be stored in our guest fridge. We should mention, as a cautionary alert, that we often have peanut butter or hazelnut spreads as condiments.

For persons preferring a made to order hot breakfast with multiple selections there is an exquisite restaurant "Hungry Heart Café" just a few hundred feet away from our front door where award winning professional chefs prepare excellent meals at very reasonable prices.

Reviewed 22 January 2013

Stayed at Cabot with my husband for a weekend get away. The bed was so comfy and the towels were good....you can't beat good linins!
Breakfast was good; what you would expect....hot, simple and tasty. I don't eat pork and they were able to provide alternatives for me which I thought was pretty great.
It was really clean, smelled good and I was really content.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank IlesNL
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my wife for 2 nights, the room was just perfect with a jacouzi inside. the staff were so friendly I would certainly go back and recommend to anyone looking for a cheap price with a luxurious stay.

Jad

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 1989Jad
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I stayed here for three nights for a conference that I was attending in St. John's

For less than the price of a local hotel I got:

A hugely comfortable king sized bed, so comfortable I almost slept in on my first day!
A jacuzzi tub in my bathroom with HEATED floors (very nice in November)
Free wifi, parking, and a prepared hot breakfast for me each morning

First off, the house is amazing. An old mansion restored and upgraded to keep modern convenience in mind, but still with all the old charms: massively high ceilings, stained glass, beautiful hardwood floors in the common areas on the main floor, etc.

I got my rental car at the airport and was expecting to have to drive everywhere I went, I was wrong. I parked my car at the Cabot House and was able to walk everywhere! The house is located in a quiet up-scale residential neighborhood, but I was less than a 20 minute walk to anywhere I wanted to go; the fun little boutiques downtown, restaurants, and any of the night life that you may be interested in

The couple that managed the Cabot House were very pleasant! I arrived for breakfast each morning around 8am and was able to request some eggs the way I like them with bacon, juice and cereal if I was so inclined.

I have uploaded a picture of my room, I have seen some reviews on here complaining about room size ... I could ride a bike around this room!!

Next time I'm in St. John's I will be staying here again,

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank w55td
Leonard C, Public Relations Manager at Cabot Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2017

We thank you for your kind comments.