“A Jewel in the heart of downtown St. John's”

Monastery Spa & Suites
Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
“A Jewel in the heart of downtown St. John's”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

There is so much to love about the Spa at the Monastery and Suites. The moment you walk through the door you feel so relaxed. Always greeted by friendly staff ready to make your stay as wonderful as possible. A few times a year, my husband and I stay overnight in the suites, i have my usual massage and then we head to the vitality room for some time in the hot tub, sauna and my favorite, the salt bath. It is so quiet and tranquil at the monastery, Its really hard to put into words. The beds are so comfortable, and we love the hot tub in our suite!!!! I always have THE BEST nights sleep when we stay here. My favorite is always my massage, their RMT's are amazing, the Aveda products leave you feeling so refreshed and relaxed. If you have never been to the spa, i HIGHLY recommend it. Their manager, Larry is one of the best I have ever encountered for customer service. You will see him from time to time, making sure everything is going well. He is so good at remembering his loyal clients, always puts a smile on my face. The recent addition of the cafe is a nice touch, very modern decor, food is great. We really really enjoy it each and every time we visit. Keep up the great work!! Can't wait to return again....shortly :)

Room Tip: I enjoy the outside rooms!! It was a great "discovery"
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kayla G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed 24 February 2013

After hearing raving reviews I was kind of let down by this place. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but it was just average. Only thing that made it worth the stay was the Aveda products inthe bathroom.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank mama2two2012
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights while on business Sept 25-28, 2012 - a hidden gem I never heard of, in the 5 years I've been traveling to St. John's, until now.

Rooms are very large; quiet; very reasonably priced & extremely private. There is no restaurant however, fresh coffee & muffins in the lobby, which is more than fine. Near downtown, so if a full breakfast is preferred, lots of choices are nearby. I didn't use any of the Spa facilities, due to my tight business schedule however, I definitely will on my next stay.

Free parking as well, which is great & is also a money-saver!

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Gander NL
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Stayed at the Monastery Spa for 3 nights between Christmas and New Year and two nights in early December. We tend to use only the hotel services but my step daughter thoroughly enjoyed some spa treatments over the holiday and joined us for lunch in the new café.
Lunch menu is a choice of flatbreads, sandwiches, salads or soups. I had a flatbread and salad, both of which were delicous. The salad was large and had a full selection of vegetables and was made as we waited. Meat and potatoes man enjoyed a homemade soup with a sandwich and will be easy to convince to stay in for a lunch the next time. Lunch for 3 was approx $45 and we didn't even have to step outside on a blustery Dec. day.
I forgot to take a picture so am attaching one for their fb page as it is an accurate portion and serving example. The salad bowl was about 2 cups of veggies and was great with the flatbread. I wouldn't hesitate to order from room service.
Our room as always was lovely. We managed to get a room with a double jaccuzi and although it was right next to the front desk everything was quiet and relaxing.
Look forward to another stay soon. Great to be greeted as regulars and yet treated very professionally and formally. Great work, Larry and crew.
Spa web page and logo has had a makeover. Staff was very happy to show off their new spa jackets. Happy staff makes happy clients.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely but book and check in early to ensure a hot tub if you want one.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Stayed at the Monastary Spa & Suites on the recommendation of a friend after being unhappy with my previous hotel. Rooms were clean and comfortable and the in room jacuzzi was a nice perk! Was a big upgrade over my previous hotel and would definitely stay again. Excellent service and close to the downtown core.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank PL980_12
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This is a very nice hotel- the rooms are quite lovely and it is very clean, however they have had a serious issue with vechiles getting broken in on their parking lot in recent months. There have been at least 10-15 in the last three weeks that I am aware of.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Kelsie S
SpaAtTheMonastery, Manager at Monastery Spa & Suites, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
Thank you for bringing this issue to the attention of future guests. Over the past two weeks there have been some vehicle break-ins, it is an unfortunate consequence of this time of year and has been happening all over the city.

We are doing what we can to deter theft, including adding more outdoor lighting in the parking lot as well as working with local law enforcement. The most effective way to decrease the likelihood of a break-in is to ensure nothing is visible in the vehicle to entice these criminals, and we have been diligently reminding guests of this at check-in. We value the patronage of our guests and appreciate their understanding.
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 4 October 2012 via mobile

Place is clean and quiet, good for a getaway that's within walking distance (15-20 min) from the downtown core. No breakfast facility other than packaged muffins and coffee.

Parking is ample and friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2012