“Quite the enjoyable stay.”

Monastery Spa & Suites
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I truly enjoyed my stay at the Monastery. Great staff, fantastic rooms, and a nice short walk from downtown. This might be strange comment but one of the better irons I've used in a hotel. Unfortunately, I did not have the time to enjoy the spa but I can almost guarantee I will on my next visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed at the Monastery because it was close to family in SJ, and what a treat to stay there. The room was beautiful- newly redone, with a jacuzzi tub, flat screen tv, and nice furnishings and fixtures. Very comfortable beds, and very quiet. It was no problem for the hotel to supply us with a playpen for our infant to sleep in. The cleaning staff ladies were so kind to us- oohed over our baby, offered suggestions of things to do and even offered to babysit!

We didn't get a chance to go to the adjoining spa as we had family commitments, but from what we've heard, their service is excellent as well.

The hotel is in a great location- about a 10 minute walk to downtown, and about 15 minutes drive to the airport.

I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Stayed at the Monastery Spa & Suites earlier this month. Was a very hectic time for me, and the staff throughout were just amazing. Friendly, cordial and polite from the front desk, to the cleaning staff.
Room was large with plenty of space for my luggage.
Sleeping was no problem here!

I am over 6ft, so when travelling it is always nice to have a shower and bathroom that I can actually fit in comfortably!

I checked out late, which was not a problem, always nice to be able to take your time when you are leaving. Still I managed to forget my Iphone Charger.
I called later that day, and staff had it put aside for me, I returned and had it in 2 minutes.

Great location, quiet, secluded in a wonderful part of St. John's, close to anything you need.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2013

This is a nicely kept hotel just away from the noise of downtown. Rooms are large and tidy.The continental breakfast choices are fine. We stayed 3 nights . On the morning of our last night they were filming an episode of the Republic of Doyle TV show in the hotel parking lot.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2013

My family and I recently stayed at the Monestery Spa. We arrived early, at 11am, well before the 3pm check in time, but the staff were very accommodating and had our room ready. We traveled from the west coast and stayed for 2 nights in a 2 double bed suite, with jacuzzi and fireplace. The room was very clean, spacious, and inviting. The staff were very friendly, greeting us with a warm smile and hello everytime we passed the front desk or entered the spa cafe. The complimentary breakfast was perfect. It included, muffins, cereal, tea&coffee, juice, yogurt, fruit and toast. The modern decor in the cafe was refreshing and the patio was a nice feature. The vitality level included a sauna, gym and two soaking tubs with jets. The water temperature was warm at best. We asked a staff member if it should be hotter, the temperature was checked but nothing done to increase it so perhaps they are not meant to be hot tubs? Not a big deal since there was a jacuzzi in our suite!
The location of the hotel is within walking distance to the downtown core, about 15 mins! They also provided maps at the front desk to help navigate. Overall we were very pleased with our stay and will be coming back again!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 29 May 2013

My colleague & I recently stayed at the Monastery Spa and Suites while on business in St; John's. We spent 4 nights in the Apartment Suite & thoroughly enjoyed the spacious living & kitchen area, the comfortable separate bedrooms (each with a fireplace) & separate bathroooms.The kitchen was equipmented with a full sized fridge, stove, microwave, coffee maker, dishes, etc. All of the staff were extremely friendly & always eager to provide assistance with directions, restaurant suggestions, etc. Very clean, quiet & relaxing!
Location, location, location: within walking distance of downtown, walking paths & St. Clare's Hospital. I highly recommend this unique spot.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Myself and my husband stayed at the Spa May 19th. We had a jacuzzi suite located outside with our own entrance. This was our 4th time staying at the spa and the last 2 visits were disappointing. The vitality room was closed during our last stay and we were not notified of this upon booking. During our most recent stay the jets in the hot tub were not working and the water was too hot to bear. Other couples couldn't get in the hot tub either. I checked with the front desk and the temperature cannot be adjusted. She said that's the temp it's supposed to be because it's not meant for people to stay in the tub long, but no one could even get in. The cold plunge pool is no longer there. I don't think this was a hugh attraction but we like to hop in and out - it makes you feel great afterwards. Our room was fairly big but the fireplace didn't work, the bathroom door stuck, and the overall Spa and suites needs a complete paint overhaul.
We had couples side-by-side massages which were great. We've never been disappointed with the spa services but this was our last time staying at the suites! Upon checkout the lady at the front desk barely spoke a word to me, she didn't even ask me how our stay was. When we went for our massages the day of checkout (they had no oppenings until 2 pm that day), the guy at the desk asked how our stay was and I was honest with him and said it was ok.
The suites have really gone down hill in the last few years....save you money, or stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Be sure to get a jacuzzi suite (although I wouldn't call it a suite) in the event the vitality r...