“Beware of Price”

Monastery Spa & Suites
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My husband and I stay at the Monestary Spa and Suites every year. We stayed there about a month ago and at checkout was shocked at the price increase for a one night stay...the room cost almost 300.00. I complained and said they should have informed us of the price increase when we booked, I mean who checks prices on a hotel that you stay in every year? You would assume the price is the same. Management apologized and said they would reimburse us to the price we normally pay...they have not reimbursed us yet...a month later. Now they are ignoring our emails. Plus the continental breakfast is just coffee and muffins, the rooms have not improved for the price you pay. The jacuzzis must be ten years old from the rust on them...however overall the rooms are lovely and the bed is comfortable. But customer service we have experienced is horrible. You would think they would take better care of customers that have been loyal for years.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pkieley

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I truly enjoyed my stay at the Monastery. Great staff, fantastic rooms, and a nice short walk from downtown. This might be strange comment but one of the better irons I've used in a hotel. Unfortunately, I did not have the time to enjoy the spa but I can almost guarantee I will on my next visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed at the Monastery because it was close to family in SJ, and what a treat to stay there. The room was beautiful- newly redone, with a jacuzzi tub, flat screen tv, and nice furnishings and fixtures. Very comfortable beds, and very quiet. It was no problem for the hotel to supply us with a playpen for our infant to sleep in. The cleaning staff ladies were so kind to us- oohed over our baby, offered suggestions of things to do and even offered to babysit!

We didn't get a chance to go to the adjoining spa as we had family commitments, but from what we've heard, their service is excellent as well.

The hotel is in a great location- about a 10 minute walk to downtown, and about 15 minutes drive to the airport.

I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Stayed at the Monastery Spa & Suites earlier this month. Was a very hectic time for me, and the staff throughout were just amazing. Friendly, cordial and polite from the front desk, to the cleaning staff.
Room was large with plenty of space for my luggage.
Sleeping was no problem here!

I am over 6ft, so when travelling it is always nice to have a shower and bathroom that I can actually fit in comfortably!

I checked out late, which was not a problem, always nice to be able to take your time when you are leaving. Still I managed to forget my Iphone Charger.
I called later that day, and staff had it put aside for me, I returned and had it in 2 minutes.

Great location, quiet, secluded in a wonderful part of St. John's, close to anything you need.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2013

This is a nicely kept hotel just away from the noise of downtown. Rooms are large and tidy.The continental breakfast choices are fine. We stayed 3 nights . On the morning of our last night they were filming an episode of the Republic of Doyle TV show in the hotel parking lot.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2013

My family and I recently stayed at the Monestery Spa. We arrived early, at 11am, well before the 3pm check in time, but the staff were very accommodating and had our room ready. We traveled from the west coast and stayed for 2 nights in a 2 double bed suite, with jacuzzi and fireplace. The room was very clean, spacious, and inviting. The staff were very friendly, greeting us with a warm smile and hello everytime we passed the front desk or entered the spa cafe. The complimentary breakfast was perfect. It included, muffins, cereal, tea&coffee, juice, yogurt, fruit and toast. The modern decor in the cafe was refreshing and the patio was a nice feature. The vitality level included a sauna, gym and two soaking tubs with jets. The water temperature was warm at best. We asked a staff member if it should be hotter, the temperature was checked but nothing done to increase it so perhaps they are not meant to be hot tubs? Not a big deal since there was a jacuzzi in our suite!
The location of the hotel is within walking distance to the downtown core, about 15 mins! They also provided maps at the front desk to help navigate. Overall we were very pleased with our stay and will be coming back again!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 29 May 2013

My colleague & I recently stayed at the Monastery Spa and Suites while on business in St; John's. We spent 4 nights in the Apartment Suite & thoroughly enjoyed the spacious living & kitchen area, the comfortable separate bedrooms (each with a fireplace) & separate bathroooms.The kitchen was equipmented with a full sized fridge, stove, microwave, coffee maker, dishes, etc. All of the staff were extremely friendly & always eager to provide assistance with directions, restaurant suggestions, etc. Very clean, quiet & relaxing!
Location, location, location: within walking distance of downtown, walking paths & St. Clare's Hospital. I highly recommend this unique spot.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business