“Teenagers' Playground”

Fairfield Inn & Suites St. John's Newfoundland
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I had originally been booked in Fairfield for four nights; I put up with the noise, lack of management and lack of basic facilities for one night.
My first impression was of a clean, modern hotel; my room was small but adequate, although the absence of a bath was not likely to be ideal.
Early in the first evening I became aware of noises from the floor above and from the corridor outside my room. This was hordes of unsupervised teenagers playing hide-and-seek, running and shouting around the hotel - all floors, lifts, stairs, corridors and alcoves. This continued until 11pm without, apparently, any attempt by the management to control them. When I told them in no uncertain terms that "this is a hotel, not a children's playground, and to pack it in" they seemed genuinely surprised!
Furthermore, this almost new hotel has no restaurant or bar facilities despite being out of town; it was not even possible to purchase a can of beer or wine to take to the room. Complimentary coffee (only) is provided between 5-8pm but the seating area was, again, taken over as a children's playground. Breakfast was effectively the same, with adults and children shouting and pushing across the area, even banging into my table. I have never, in 50 years of staying in hotels around the world, experienced such appalling rudeness and lack of consideration for other guests without the hotel management or staff intervening.
I checked out first thing on my first morning, to the Ramada across the road; the Ramada has full restaurant/bar facilities plus a complimentary airport shuttle service; although it is currently undergoing a degree of renovation, I would recommend the Ramada over Fairfield every time.

Room Tip: I would advise to book in the Ramada opposite.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Neville C
Cyril R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites St. John's Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Neville C.

Thank you for your feedback; It is important to us as it allows us to become better. We pride ourselves on the comfort and security of our guests and strive to ensure that unacceptable levels of noise are kept to a minimim. We apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your visit and have used your feedback to review our policies and procedures for handling noise complaints in our hotel with our associates.
It is important to us that guests have an enjoyable breakfast experience. We are a focused service property which offers complimentary coffee during breakfast and again from 5-8pm daily with complimentary coffee and tea in each guestroom as per our brand standards. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you to our hotel so that you may experience our genuine hospitality.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed the week spent at the Fairfield Inn. Room and front desk staff were wonderful. Room itself was modern; the included fridge and microwave were welcome. The free breakfast was convenient and quite delicious. Conference facilities used for the week were great.

Would not hesitate to return.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Cyril R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites St. John's Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Dear Lawrence V.

My team and I are delighted with the feedback and rating you provided during your recent stay at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott St.John's.
Thank you for referring to our property as a "Home away from Home" as this means a great deal to us. Our guest's comfort is our number one priority!
It was a pleasure to be of service to you and thank you for taking the time to comment on our property through Trip Advisor.

Hoping to see you on a return visit in the near future.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I thought this hotel hit the mark in every category. My room was spacious, clean, all new furniture, and a comfortable bed. The property itself was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. Rate includes free hot breakfast, wifi, parking, and even cookies at night. Also worth noting, if you are travelling with kids there is an indoor pool with a slide. The only negative would be the location; it is about from 5km from downtown.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Cyril R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites St. John's Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Hfxjeff:

Great comments and rating, much appreciated! Thank you so much for posting your views on Trip Advisor so future travelers will know what to expect in product and service when choosing their destination hotel while in the city on leisure or business. We are truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the near future.

It was a pleasure to be of service to you!

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Fairfield Inn and Suites and were thoroughly impressed in every way. The front desk staff were very friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. The public areas were clean, bright and welcoming. The rooms were super clean and spacious (loved the bed, apartment size shower, separate living area, tasteful artwork, keurig and 2 massive flat screens). And the comp hot breakfast was an excellent bonus that most local hotels do not offer. We never used the pool or gym but there's always a next time!

Room Tip: A very well-kept property, I don't think you could go wrong with any room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Cyril R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites St. John's Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear JeffSt_John_s:

Your feedback is very much appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to share your views through Trip Advisor and provide Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott St.John's with a 5/5 rating. We thank you for your patronage and for choosing our property as your home away from home.

We're delighted that our product and service was "Just Right!"

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We arrived in our King sized room - disappointed to find no bathtub. The rest of the room was nice, but very tiny. Throughout the night there was a lot of noise from children. I asked to move floors, but I was told there were children on every floor. They told me to call when I heard noise and they would send up a security guard. I had to call 2 more times before we finally fell asleep. Around 2 am, our neighbour started having a very loud phone conversation, of which we could hear every word. I called the front desk to ask security to come up, and was told there was no security guard on at the moment, and offered to call their room if I told them what room number I thought it was. I didn't want to do that, in case I had the wrong room. Eventually, I heard a knock on a nearby door and the talking stopped, so I guess the person from the desk came up.

The walls are paper thin in this hotel, and you also hear every single vehicle going down Kenmount road (one of the busiest roads in the city).

I'm disappointed because it is a brand new hotel, and I feel like more thought could have gone into soundproofing and making it comfortable for guests.

I am also upset that, when booking such a large party of children, they didn't think to concentrate them all to one floor to leave a quiet area for more mature guests.

If you want a quiet place to stay in this part of the city, I would not suggest this hotel. It is conveniently located and the beds are comfortable, but that's all it has going for it - and its not worth what we paid.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for the valuable feedback and taking time to communicate these concerns during your most recent visit to Fairfield Inn & Suites St.John's. My team and I take pride in ensuring all of our guests receive a satisfying experience that is second to none.
I sincerely apologize that you did not receive the level of service that Fairfield guests have come to realize and expect.
Rest assured, I will be looking into your concerns and actioning any opportunities immediately with my team.
I truly hope, when choosing a destination hotel once again, that you will give Fairfield another chance to make things right; we do value your patronage.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Checked in for a nights stay to celebrate Valentines Day and our stay was, or should I say is, wonderful. (Currently still in the hotel) We booked a regular room and were upgraded to a suite when we checked in! The suite was perfect! On our next stay, which there will be in the near future we will opt for the suite again! Worth the extra few dollars! Also, the chocolate covered strawberries were to die for ... Wouldn't mind to have some again right now.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Cyril R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites St. John's Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Nicole S,

One Fairfield's guest promises is to ALWAYS give you the service that will make you want to return. Along with that promise we want to give our valued guests Everything they expect and Nothing they don't. By doing so we consistently deliver an experience that's just right!

My team and I are so delighted that we were able to turn a moment into a memory!

Thank you for your feedback and excellent rating;We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

My husband and myself and 3 kids(age 4,5,11) stayed there in a queen suite. Very nice staff, very clean bright modern room. Comfy beds. Never used the pool but looked awesome. Breakfast was awesome. The staff kept it very clean and there was lords to chose from and tasty. We will be back.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Cyril R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites St. John's Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Dear Tracey H:

Thank you for the feedback and 5/5 rating on Trip Advisor. I will be sharing your comments with my Breakfast Team in particular.

It was a pleasure to be of service to you and your family. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and my team was able to provide you with a home away from home experience.

We hope you will stay with us again in the near future and your children have an opportunity to enjoy our pool and waterslide.