“A Great Place to Stay in St. John's”

Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 27 July 2011

The Sheraton is a great place to stay while in St. John's. The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable. I was given a room on the seventh floor with a great view of the city and part of the harbor. The room was very clean, the sheets were sparkling white, as were the towels. It was fairly spacious, with a well-functioning air-conditioning system and flat screen TV. The only drawback was the lack of a towel rack, which was a slight inconvenience. Towels are stored on a shelf under the sink. Self-parking is free, as well as wireless and wired internet. For me, the wireless only worked in the lobby. There was no refrigerator in the room, but there was an ice machine and vending machine on the floor. There is room service.
The hotel is basically in downtown- along with all its restaurants and attractions. A supermarket is a short drive away. The airport is about 10 minutes away by car.
I stayed for three days, seeing a good part of the city. I don't think there is a better place to stay.

Room Tip: Just ask at the front desk.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SEETHEBEST
LDelurey, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

Thank You so much for sharing your experience. We are very pleased to know that you found our hotel and service to meet your needs and expectations. That is certainly our goal and happy to know we delivered. I'm sorry you found the towel rack to be an inconvenience and I will pass this along to our Executive Housekeeper for review. As well I wish to point out that we do have refrigerators that can be delivered to your room upon request. I, also have passed along your comment regarding wirless internet. We have not been advised of any other issues regarding internet but it is certainly worth being investigated. Again, Thank you so much for taking the time to send along your feedback. We care what our guest think of us and look forward to welcoming you back soon. Warm regards, Laura Delurey.

Reviewed 26 July 2011

made me put 3000.00 dollars down on my room. when i checked out they charged me for another 383 on my 1883 dollar bill ended up having to go back to the hotel before i flew home so they would reverse the 1500.00 charge on my credit card. aweful organization.

plus the toilet wouldnt flush in the room.
they didnt have fridges in the room i had to go and get them to put one in my room.
paint was peeling on the wall tub was chipped.

poor quality and service for the price i paid.

after my conference was over when to a small hotel with and kitchenette. was $30/night cheaper and way way nicer.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Dinningxtrodinair

Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate you taking the time to post your review as your concerns are important to us. I trust your issues were rectified immediately once they were bought to the attention of our associate. I sincerely apologize for this error and hope this does not mar your image of the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland. This type of error is not typical for our hotel. I was disappointed to hear you had issues with your room. Unfortunately you must have had one of our non renovated rooms and I'm sorry about that. We currently have over fifty percent of our bedrooms fully renovated and the next phase of renovations is slated to start in the fall. Again, Thank you for passing along your concerns and I welcome an opportunity to discuss further. You can connect with me at your convenience. Warm Regards, Laura Delurey

Reviewed 11 July 2011

We stayed for two nights in July at the Sheraton. The location is close to George Street, and a short drive from the Airport. Note: Parking is Free!

The Room was clean and spacious, and the bed was comfortable.

We didn't interact with the staff much, but at checkout and checkin they were efficent, and answered our questions.

There is free internet in the Lobby which is a nice feature.

Overall I would fully recommend to anyone staying in St. Johns.

Room Tip: A harbour view is really nice.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CanadianGuy2007
LDelurey, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2011

You have pointed out some very important features and have provided some very positive comments on our hotel and staff. Thank You for doing so as your feedback is very much appreciated. We care what our guests think and feel so grateful when reviews are posted. Thank you for choosing our hotel and we look forward to continueing, being of service. Warm Regards, Laura Delurey, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 5 July 2011

I am entering this report in the 'Link@Sheraton' station and it reflects the superb facilities available at this hotel. The staff exhibit that Newfie charm and helpfullness.
I will report more at the end of my stay ( the first 24 hours have been great ).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 June 2011

This is the former Fairmont Newfoundland. It was converted to the Sheraton banner in 2009, and has recently been undergoing renovations and updates. I stayed here for business at the end of February (not exactly prime tourist season for Newfoundland) and enjoyed my stay.

While in St. John's, I had an opportunity to wander around a little. There are not a lot of four-star hotels in town...so if you're looking for one, this is probably your best bet. Though the structure has the all outward charm of a wartime bunker, inside it is every bit a Sheraton, from the lobby, to the restaurants, to the health club, and the guestrooms. The location, while a bit out-of-the-way, affords some amazing views of St. John's Harbour and Signal Hill. And the staff are professional without sacrificing that famous Newfoundland charm.

As an aside, I have read several of the other reviews here, and note that the guest relations manager has not only responded to concerns, but included her direct e-mail for follow-up. I find that level of concern for customer service impressive, and consistent with my experience at the hotel.

Note that the hotel has a v-shape, resulting in two different views of the harbor. The best panorama is the one of the harbor entrance, rather than the interior of the harbor.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
LDelurey, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2011

A wam and inviting review, Thank You so much for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. We are very grateful and appreciate your feedback. We are very proud of our newly renovated property which we feel now has a lot to offer our valued guest. As a repeat guest, we are very happy to know that you are pleased and satisfied with our hotel and service. That is our goal and mission to provide a home away from home and turn every stay into a wonderful experience for every guest.. Warm regards, Laura Delurey, Guest Relations Manager.

Reviewed 14 June 2011

I recently had the opportunity to visit St. John's for the first time.

I booked the Sheraton as they are m first choice wherever I travel, which is weekly, and the St. John's Sheraton is a prime example of why. I needed some help with booking and Laura Delurney went above and beyond expectations to help me out. Thank you so much Laura.

The hotel is easy to find, and is in a perfect location IMHO. It is just off of the main strip, and located right between signal hill and the craziness of Water and Duckworth and George streets.

Check in was a snap and having arrived early I was given several choices to wait. Margaret at the front desk was very helpful. I checked my bag and went for a walk. Once you step out you're immediately in the shopping of Duckworth positioned at one end. You can start with a leisurely stroll and browse as you can. As you get further down, you can drop down to Water st for more restaurants, or just head right for George street if you're looking for the pubs.

Walking the other way takes you to Signal Hill, which is an excellent place for a hike and some history, and you can easily walk in 2 minutes into the battery which is one of the most charming villages I"ve ever been in.

The hotel has a nice lounge if you book a club room or are a platinum member. The room itself was typical Sheraton, comfy, clean, spacious and well provisioned. I love that they have fridges in the rooms. WiFi is free throughout the hotel.

The view of the harbour is spectacular, I would highly recommend asking for or booking a harbour view.

Imelda at the concierge desk was extremely helpful with finding a nice spot for a hike, and with lunch suggestions. She also is a perfect demonstration of how Easterners are just happy friendly. She was always smiling and made me feel like smiling.

All in all a very pleasurable experience and something I will repeat as soon as possible. Next time I hope its with my family for a vacation.

I hope you enjoy your trip!!

Room Tip: ask harbour view, email in advance to confirm.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank torontocpl
LDelurey, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this wonderful review of your stay with Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland. This was a very refreshing and delightful review to read for sure. We are happy to know your expectaions were met in so many ways. We do have many great staff who are very proud to be a part of our team and in particular very pleased to see you have mentioned Imelda and Margaret, they both are true ambassadors for our hotel and receives many positive comments. Again Thank You, we are very grateful for your review as I'm sure it will encourage others to try our hotel. It's always a pleasure to be of assistance and can be reached at laura.delurey@sheratonhotelnewfoundland.com

Reviewed 20 May 2011

We recently returned to the Sheraton in St. John's for a 2 night stay because our past few visits to this hotel have been very enjoyable. The front desk employees, especially Margaret, were very friendly and helpful. We ordered room service for breakfast and were impressed with the quality of food delivered promptly by an employee named Ralph.

As we travel frequently with our young child, it is always great to stay in a hotel that offers great customer service to both business travellers as well as families. We'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family