“Hospitality Plus” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Moncton
“Hospitality Plus”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

I arrived late.. On a rainy evening and was greeted by a pleasant and courteous front desk clerk. Wow. what can i say.. Great room, fast service, recomendation on a close, light late supper and everything you could imagine. Stayed for three days and thouroughly enjoyed the hospitality and the view..

Room Tip: 7th floor harbourside...the view is amazing..
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

There is nowhere to go better than Newfoundland to be well looked after by witty, cultured people. (I say that without personal connection to the province and without bias, other than the far-fetched one of being a fellow Atlantic Canadian.) So, this hotel has that quality to draw upon, and it usually shows in staff.

I have stayed here many times over several decades, and under various ownerships, lately for five days with my wife and two of our grandchildren. St John's is changing from poorer to richer, but so far I see no change in the people of the service industries generally, or in this hotel.

Visitors rave about the harbour views, but guests get stunning views in all directions. The rooms are clean. The furnishings are of decent quality.

I used to be able to walk almost anywhere in St. John's. Now cabs are necessary for longer trips, and tempting for shorter. Bugdens has the concession at the Newfoundland Hotel. I promised my grandkids informative and comical rides. That is what we got.

I see that a reviewer had a bad experience with online reservations. I reserved our rooms by telephone, but still there was a problem. However, hotel staff moved quickly to find alternative rooms. We were escorted to them for approval. They were fine. Clearly that was not the case for the earlier reviewer. This hotel has a reputation to maintain, or loose.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LDelurey, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, 2 October 2011
Thank you for your review. It is certainly nice to read feedback from our guests. It is important for us to know how your stay went and providing us with both positive and negative feedback helps us improve as we move forward. We Thank you for your kind comments on the people there is no doubt we are known for being kind, hospitable folks and happy to know that was your experience. We are proud of the growing ecomony of Newfoundland and Labrador but I don't anticipate this will change our way. Our hotel's view is special and is always noted as a very important feature. I'm so gald you got to enjoy it. Along with the view we are in the downtown area and close to lots of sites and attractions. Budgens cabs are right on site so convenient for sure and provides very good service. I am sorry to hear that you had a problem with your reservation but happy to know that we were able to quickly rectify it. There are factors that sometimes cause room changes to happen. Just to name a few - flight cancellations, emergencies, maintenance issues, late departures etc. Fortunately this does not happen everyday but when it do and the hotel is busy alternate room categories may happen. If and when this happens we make every effort to accomodate our guest in the best possible way. Thank you for continueing to choose our hotel, we are thankful and appreciate your business. If ever you have a concern don't hesitate to contact me. Laura Delurey, Guest Services Supervisor
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

I stayed recently at this hotel for a 4 night business trip and 2 night personal stay. I was in a renovated room on the third floor and it was very nicely done. Quiet, clean and conformtable. The staff at the hotel were extrememly accommodating and I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The corner rooms with harbour views are great. Rooms on higher floors with harbour view offer great...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Johnson City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

We very carefully researched rooms available in St. John's for our stay there, and came up with a corner room, very spacious, with a harbour view at the Sheraton. I had printed out the reservation as documentation, and we are SPG members. We were very excited about our carefully planned stay.
However, when we got there, we were told that there were no corner rooms available, and so we were given a small room with one little circular window, NOT facing the harbour. So, don't trust your online reservation! Not even with showing the printed reservation were we able to have our reservation honoured.

Room Tip: What does a tip help, if your request for a particular type of room doesn't make an ounce of dif...
Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank G D
LDelurey, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your on line booking. I am very sorry to know that you did not get the room you had booked. We recognize this was a disappointing experience for you. It may be helpful to know though we do have many reservations booked on line and are accomodated quite successfully. On line bookings are one of our most popular options for booking room accomodations. We are concerned and would like an opportunity to investigate further. I look forward to your call. Laura Delurey, Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed in this hotel for two nights in September. Our 5th floor renovated room was nicely appointed and very comfortable. Note that not all floors have been renovated, so I assume the older rooms are not going to be quite as good. The bed was absolutely fabulous.

The staff really went out of their way to help us with an issue that came up (unrelated to the hotel).

The location is pretty good being close to Signal Hill and not far from the main downtown attractions.

Our stay here was very enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LDelurey, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
It's my pleasure to respond to your review. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. It gives us great comfort to know you enjoyed our hotel and had a ''great sleep", that's so important. We do get a lot of great compliments on our Sweet Sleeper Beds - the name says it all. I want to make one point about our renovated and non renovated rooms, they all have new beds. Also over fifty percent of our rooms are completely renovated as well as 99 percent of the main hotel. I am thrilled to know our staff went the extra mile to help with an issue. Always great to hear positive feedback on our staff, we appreciate this. As well, happy to know you found our hotel's location to be convenient. We hope for many happy returns. Laura Delurey, Guest Services Supervisor
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Let me start this review by saying that we were very dissapointed with our interactions with several members of the staff, on several occasions during our stay. Rather than post all of these disappointments on TripAdvisor, I wrote directly to the Hotel's management. I have to say that their reponse to my complaint was thorough, expedient and satisfactory. I have been led to understand that my concerns have been addressed and will not recur. Therefore, for those of you out there looking to choose this hotel for a future stay, I don't necessarily feel my experience would be relevant to you. Also, judging by the majority of reviews, my experience was not that of the majority of guests.

Let's talk about the facilities. The lobby and restaurant areas have been remodeled and are quite pleasant. The pool and hot tub area, one can only hope, is next on the list for renovations. The tropical garden/wedding area is a bit odd with the pool access right beside - but some people seem to find it acceptable to hold their wedding there. I find it weird to have towels and bathing suits crossing paths with suits and dresses, but that's me...

We ordered room service one evening and were very impressed with the food and the quality of service. Yes it is a Sheraton room service menus, so it is not cheap, but when torrential winds, rain and fog crush your desire to set foot outside the building, it is convenient and appreciated.

Our room (well, our second room - part of the guest services fiasco, see paragraph 1), had a harbour view and was a standard Sheraton room. Of course, the beds are VERY comfortable and the bathroom is the Sheraton standard. Nothing futher to add.

Overall, the weather was very disappointing during the entirety of our stay. Along with the poor treatment we received at the hotel, much of our visit to St. John's seemed to have a dark cloud hanging over it. I would be willing to give this hotel another chance to impress me.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
LDelurey, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, 21 September 2011
Thank you for posting a review regarding your experience at our hotel. Again, we are very sorry for your disappointment. We do take guest concerns very seriously and address and coach accordingly. We are happy to know you were pleased with managemnets response. As well, we are happy to know you like our renovations and join the positive opinion of many others. Our recreation/pool area will undergo some upgrades but a date and time for this to happen have not been noted yet. Our Court Garden is quite popular for Weddings and other special occassions. We have not heard of any other issues with regards to it's location. We are delighted to know you enjoyed the In-Room Dining and sorry to know you experienced wind and rain of the hurricane. But thankfully you were safe and sound and in the comfort of our hotel and enjoyed our sweet sleeper beds. Again, we are very sorry you received poor treatment and hoping we will have the opportunity to be of service again. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you, Laura Delurey, Guest Services Supervisor.
Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

For those who like chain hotels, this is probably the nicest one you can pick in St. John's. Sitting atop a hill, it has excellent views of the harbor. Easy walking distance to many downtown restaurants and pubs. Front desk staff are very nice and helpful. Some of the rooms are on the smallish size, especially for the premium price you'll pay, but they are all comfortable. Had a difficult time keeping a stable high speed Internet connection, both wired and wireless -- it would drop for no apparent reason and then come back a minute later -- so forget about any VoIP or video conferencing with colleagues or loved ones.

Room Tip: Views facing the water from a high floor are lovely.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for posting your review. Thank you as well for recommending our hotel. We are certainly very thankful for your willingness to share your experience. We are happy to know you found the location to be convenient and enjoyed the view, those are very important features. As well, it's very pleasing to know you found our Front Desk staff to be friendly and helpful, I will pass along your kind comments. Our regular rooms are standard size and competively priced. We do have Deluxe corner rooms and Junior suites that are larger in size and priced accordingly. I am disappointed to know you experienced issues with internet connection. I will forward your comments along to our IT department to get them to investigate. Again, thanks so much for taking the time to wirte. We look forward to having you as our guest again, soon. Laura Delurey, Guest Services Supervisor.