“Very good stay - great staff, great location, great beds - just some minor tweaks”

Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed here as a family of 5 (in two connecting rooms) in June/July 2014 and we had an excellent stay. My suggestions for improvement are minor.

We love the location of the hotel for its proximity to Signal Hill and to some great restaurants. We enjoyed walking the city from the hotel and we found that everything was within a relatively short walk of the hotel.

The staff really set this place apart. Everyone we spoke with was friendly, helpful, and seemed to enjoy their work a lot. We received some terrific advice on local attractions from the team at the hotel and we also had a very enjoyable and entertaining room service experience, highlighted by our server bringing Canada Day tattoos to us to help the kids celebrate.

As an SPG Platinum, we were offered a choice of harbour view rooms (not connecting) or the connecting rooms we ultimately chose. We were also given access to the Club Lounge, which has a wonderful view of the harbour and offers a nice breakfast.

A few minor tweaks would be welcome. For almost the entire duration of our stay, the wi-fi signal in our rooms was unusable and couldn't be improved. We were told this problem was because some rooms are far from the routers and so don't get a proper signal. Yikes. I understand that there will be work done to improve this issue.

I was also disappointed to see that we couldn't use the stairs to get to the ground floor, which I found unusual.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room with access to the wi-fi if you need it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 5fredw
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and your fellow travelers. We are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and thank you for the kind words about our associates. We would like to apologize for the issues you encountered with the wifi and are currently undergoing upgrades to provide a more efficient internet connection. As you stated guests cannot access the main floor via the stairs as the building was designed to have the stairwells act as emergency exits and discharge to the outside of the building. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I only gave this three stars (if four were "good," I would have gone with that) because, as opposed to some other reviewers, I feel that the location is a real disadvantage. Yes, you can walk to downtown, where the majority of shops, cafes, restaurants and tour boats are. But it's a good 15- to 20-minute walk. St. John's is a very hilly city and it's a steep climb down and back. If the weather's inclement or you just want to drop something off to your room, it's a hassle.

The hotel itself is a good business hotel with everything that connotes. The night of my arrival there was a wedding and the wait for an elevator was annoying everyone. Strangely, there's no staircase to the first floor from the lobby, so it was impossible to walk. The situation was much better the following day and thereafter.

The first room I was given had an uninspiring view and a large bird dropping in the middle of the window. The nice woman on reception (not the person who had checked me in) said she could change it for me because of my Starwood status. The second room was delightful, chiefly because it had a huge porthole-shaped window overlooking the harbor. Good bed, good plugs, good bathroom. There was an iron and ironing board, which I always appreciate.

The staff was, for the most part, friendly and helpful. If it weren't for the location, I'd stay there again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Maeve32

Hello Maeve32 and thank you for sharing your experience at the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland. We are surprised to hear you did not find our location advantageous to your needs while visiting as so many of our guests do. St.John's definitely has a number of hills (one of which we are perched atop) but they can be avoided with a short cab ride due to our proximity to the attractions downtown. We are happy to hear we were able to provide you with one of our signature porthole rooms and that you enjoyed the view. Hopefully we get to see you again the next time you visit.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We ended our three week road trip of Newfoundland at the Sheraton for two nights. Our stay here was relaxing and restful. The lobby was beautiful and we received a warm welcome from the check in staff.

Dinner both nights was in the hotel's restaurant. We were very impressed with both the food and the service. Having eaten in many hotel restaurants around the world I have to say this one was much better than expected, good enough to stand on it's own as a restaurant. It's easy to see there is a chef on duty preparing well thought out entrees and wonderful deserts.

Our room was on the seventh floor with a view of the busy harbor. I could sit for hours just watching the ships come and go. The king size bed was very comfortable and the room was as quite as possible, a great nights sleep.

The issue that keeps this hotel from a five star rating is the tired furnishings in room 730.I don't know if other rooms are like this but the finish on the wooden furniture was worn down to bare wood in places. Several other issues in the room need addressing as well but I won't go further. The rest of the hotel shows a commitment to quality, I'm sure updates are scheduled.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland as the final destination of your road trip. Three weeks on the road is a long time and we are glad that we were able to provide you with a comfortable and restful visit. We will pass along your kind words regarding your dining experiences to our culinary team. We are sorry that the furniture in your room was not up to the standard you experienced in the rest of the hotel and would like to let you know we are indeed updating our guestrooms. We thank you for sharing you review and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was our first time to Newfoundland and we loved the scenery, the water, and the people. We flew into Deer Lake on the West side of the island, stayed at Rocky Harbour for 2 nights, then took Highway 1 to Grand Falls-Windsor for a one night stay. After that we stayed in Port Blandford for 2 nights and headed to St. John's, our final destination before flying home.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Sheraton. The fact that the hotel used to be a Fairmont means that this hotel is more upscale than your usual Sheraton. There were two conventions in town, so the hotel was totally booked!

It took a little while for someone to come to our car to help with the luggage, but once the lady showed up, things moved better from there! The line to check in was not too bad and we were able to get our Harbor View room on the 5th floor. There was a big iceberg in the harbor!

The rooms are very nice with a decent sized bathroom. Our keycard said 'Club' on it but no one mentioned the Club Lounge so we ended up eating breakfast at Zachary's around the corner, which is good and reasonable. We tried to go to the Classic Restaurant next door one morning and the line was really long, so we went back to Zachary's.

After we got settled in the room, we decided to go to the Bar for a glass of wine before starting to explore the city. In keeping with the more upscale image, they offer a small list of wines by the glass that have received a score of 90 or above. There were around 8 wines listed, priced from $12 to $24.50, obviously in Canadian Currency. My husband picked one of the $12 reds and I ordered a $12 Rainstorm Pinot Noir from Oregon. The bartender brought my husband's wine, then told me that they were out of the Rainstorm but they had a Cloudy Bay Pinot Noir. I had never heard of that brand but said 'OK'. No mention was made about the price, so imagine my shock when we get the bill and it was $33!

I was not happy, but didn't say a word and tipped him the amount he would have gotten on two $12 glasses of wine. The next day, the wine list did not have the Rainstorm listed but it did have the Cloudy Bay listed with the $33 price.

I realize this is not a huge deal, but it made us cautious, so every time we ordered something in the bar, we had to ask: How much is a gin martini ($11.75)? How much is a Manhattan (also $11.75)?

We did have dinner Saturday night in the hotel Restaurant Oppidan and it was quite good! I also saw some other reasonably priced wines on the hotel list and started ordering those in the bar.

We enjoyed the sights and the music in the pubs a lot! Unless you are an Olympic Champion I would take the car to Signal Hill, as the drive is very steep!

No bad meals in any restaurant! We ate at Oliver's twice. We ate once at Sun Sushi, Tavola, and Bianca's. If you want to eat at Raymond's, book very early. We looked up their website on Saturday afternoon and the next available time was Wednesday night!

So I would recommend the Sheraton, but ask about the club lounge breakfast and appetizers if you are on a club floor and make sure you know the price of any unlisted beverage in the bar. Enjoy St. John's! It's a lovely city!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello WestUTraveler,

We really appreciate you taking the time to pass along your feedback regarding the aspects of your stay which you enjoyed and the areas in which we could improve. It is feedback such as this which allows us to identify areas of success and others that need more attention. We apologize for the issue you encountered in the bar area and have our Food and Beverage management team looking into the situation. We hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the Sheraton the next time you visit St.John's.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed for the first time at the Sheraton last week for 3 days. I understand the hotel was completely full due to a conference so, when I attempted to check in a few hours early, I wasn't suprise that a room wasn't ready. Ashley ( I had to ask her name because she had a " trainee" name tag on) told me that the room wasn't ready, but if I wanted to check my bags and go grab a bite in the restaurant, it would be ready upon my return. I had the fish and chips, which she promised would be well worth it. The restaurant staff are fantastic and the meal was AMAZING. Best fish and chips I've ever had, and I'm from London! Back out to the lobby I go to and as promised, my room is ready and it's exquisite. Beautiful modern room with a view or the water and icebergs that would take your breath away! Over my few days in St John's I've discovered some jems on Duckworth and Water St and all of which were in walking distance. The location and views are second to none. I did partake in plenty of coming ad going and it never failed, once I stepped off the elevator, Ashley was at the desk with a beautiful smile and answering any questions about what to do or see and directing me to the door lady when she wasn't sure about directions or locations and always wishing me a good day!
You folks are doing plenty of things right and of you keep hiring people like Ashley, Imelda and the wait staff in the restaurant, You'll keep tourists coming back. Keep up the fantastic work!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Pattycakesmaker
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Hello Pattycakesmaker,
We could not agree with the title of your review more. It is our wonderful staff that set our hotel apart and keep our guests coming back time after time. We are delighted to see that Ashley made a memorable impression with you. That means she is fitting in with all of the other fantastic staff members you mentioned. We will make sure to pass along your kind comments. We hope to see you again when you travel back over to our side of the pond.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel is ideally situated in downtown St. John's within walking distance of Signal Hill, George Street and all the shops, restaurants & cafes on Duckworth and Water Streets. The room was clean and well equipped, the bathroom was nice, and the bed was like sleeping in a basket of marshmallows. There's a big bright area with giant windows in the lobby where you can sit and read a paper (you need all the light you can get; I didn't see the sun the entire time I was in St. John's). I can't say whether or not it was good value for money since my boss picked up the tab.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay with us at the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland. We are happy to see you enjoyed your visit. Our prime downtown location is definitely a huge benefit to our guests as is the wonderful Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed you so eloquently compared to a "sleeping in a basket of marshmallows." We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to St.John's.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton St. John's for a conference in October. Firtsly I felt that as a SPG Gold Member I have received better recognition elsewhere. I had to remind the desk clerk to "offer" me the welcome gift; then ask for an SPG floor. Small matter (and sounds like a "first world problem" but when you travel for business and are loyal to a company you should expect the minimum level of reward).

The hotel staff throughout the day provided great service, friendly and good-natured. At night, the staff were sullen and unhelpful. On my last night I had to leave at 3:00am for an early flight. Unfortunately this also apparently coincided with the arrival that evening of some oil platform crew going off shift and staying a night in the hotel! The noise from the partying on my floor was insane. They literally partied all night. I was patient until midnight when I called the desk - the fellow sai dhe'd "look into it". Nothing. I calle dagain at 1:00am - he told me they "were just blowing off some steam", and they'd promised to keep it in their rooms (vs. the hallway!). Eventually I gave up. Yes, I stayed up until 3am and left. As I left my room into the hall I observed a trail of ice from the machine down the hall to a half-naked guy passed out with his ice bucket. At that same moment a rather interestingly attired woman was arguing into an open door about the price to stay longer! And another door was wide open to the sight of a passed out guy, a pile of empty liquor and beer bottles/cans, and a couple making out. Quite the carnival...

Suffice to say that the hotel failed to meet my expectations and just served to carry on the spirit of George Street into the wee hours. I'm sure it's not always like this, but it only takes one experience like this to vow never to go back!

Room Tip: Make sure you are aware of what is happening in the hotel and inisist on a quiet location away from...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank phoodee

Hello phoodee,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay with us. It is always our goal to not only meet but to exceed our guests expectations and it is very evident that we failed to accomplish that on your stay. Although we are happy to hear you received great service during the day we are disappointed to see that you felt that level of servcie was lacking at other times and for that we apologize. We have used your feedback as a training tool to ensure we are delivering consistent service throughout all shifts. We have also reviewed procedures with out Security personnel to ensure noise levels are kept to a minimum during quiet hours. We really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you, our valued and loyal Gold member, back to the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland when you are next in St.John's.