“Pleasant Stay”

Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here for business and enjoyed it. The service was pleasant and the room is clean and has what you need for business (plugs, free wifi). The con is that the walls are paper thin so I woke up every morning to my neighbour blowdrying her/his hair as well as my other neighbour with a crying baby at night. The location of the hotel is not bad, it's up on a hill but its convenient to some lovely downtown restaurants as well as going to signal hill.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights had a very comfortable stay. The hotel had a modern, urban feel and appeared recently renovated on the inside. Bed was very comfortable. Towels were good quality. There were lots of electrical outlets for plugging in gadgets at the desk, it would be better to have them by the bed. Also more light in the room would be good for reading. The first night I did have some issues with sound proofing of noise coming from the hall, but the noise did not occur the second and third nights . The hotel food was excellent- even room service food. Staff were so friendly and helpful. Business centre was fast and convenient. The hotel is a very short walk to many downtown shops and restaurants. Good location. I would definitely return.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed here twice in one week. We found the hotel to be inconsistent. One night we stayed on the 2nd floor, and another night on the 7th floor-both with lovely views. The provisions in the room were inconsistent, i.e.: one room had no conditioner, and no water-minor details- but I like hotels that think about the details. The entryway to the hotel was crammed with convention tables, and check in on both days was frosty at best. Have had better experiences at other Sheratons. Nice pool area, though, and the beds were comfy.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My boyfriend and I recently stayed in this hotel for one night and we found it to be a great experience. The hotel is clean, the bed was very comfortable, the staff are very friendly and the view was beautiful! The hotel is also in a great location, everything is walk-able including Signal Hill, George Street, the harbour and all the great restaurants and shops on Water St and Duckworth St. We would definitely stay here again in the future!

Room Tip: Get a harbour-view room!
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I had a conference at this hotel so we stayed here for 4 nights in June. The conference rate for a non view room was $229 per night, which I thought was quite expensive. I was expecting a lot of the hotel to reflect this cost. However, I was disappointed.

When we arrived, we were told that we had a nice room with 2 double beds. As my husband is quite tall, I indicated that that was unacceptable, having booked a king room five months previously. This was remedied immediately and we were upgraded to a king view room The view was great - we looked out over the harbour with an iceberg in the distance. That was the best part of our whole stay at the hotel.

Otherwise, we found the room dark and dingy. It would benefit from some serious upgrading. Our room's ceiling was in 2 levels with the shorter height being a problem as my husband actually cut his hand on a sprinkler when he elevated his arms to put on his shirt. The room itself, despite being an upgrade, was small.

The bed itself was comfortable. Pillows weren't great - I asked for some feather pillows and although a new one was sent over, I don't think it was a feather one, as it was still quite firm.

I was also annoyed that the swimming pool only opened at 7 am - really, what is that about - a hotel pool, in my opinion, should open at 6 am at the latest. As my conference meetings started at 8 am, I was therefore unable to start the day with a swim, and had to find time later in the day to get to the pool. This was inconvenient.

The location of the hotel was good, and close to restaurants and the main streets of St John's.
The concierge was friendly, but there was a disconnect between what our conference organizers said and what the concierge offered - it appeared that the concierge wasn't kept up to date on tour offerings. All staff were friendly and helpful, though.

I would not stay here again. I am sure that there are less expensive options with a much better decor available.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Debbie T
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This 4 stars hotel is quite modern with à large lobby. Our room on the 5th floor was very comfortable and clean . The staff is very curteous. There is à 15 minutes walk to relâche the downtown and historic area.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We last stayed here about twelve years ago when the hotel was owned by Fairmont so we weren't sure what to expect. We stayed for two nights and had a room on the seventh floor with a view overlooking the harbour. The bed was enormous with down duvet and pillows so it was very comfortable. The room was of a good size, as was the bathroom and it was spotlessly clean. We had breakfast on the first morning and chose the buffet option which offered plenty of choice and good value for money. On the second night we ate dinner and agin the choice was good and prices were reasonable. We had the short ribs which were very tasty and perfectly cooked. This is a large business type hotel but I would recommend it for tourists too because of the friendly staff and the great location- within walking distance of St Johns and all it had to offer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a harbour view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple