“Not Cheap But Ok Place to Stay”

Holiday Inn St. Johns
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
Vancouver, Canada
“Not Cheap But Ok Place to Stay”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This is an older hotel that has had some recent updating. The main updates based on the room I was in seem to be furniture, Flat Panel TV's and some cosmetic things. Unfortunately the bathroom in my room was poorly designed and laid out and was extremely tight and not a very comfortable spot to even try to take your shower. Sink is outside and across the other side of the entry hallway. I was disappointed that the normal bottle of water and snack or upgrade that is supposed to go along with the frequent night program (Priority Club) was not in evidence. This is the only Holiday Inn I have stayed in for several years that does not provide some perk for Priority Club members. The restaurant in the place is simply terrible and I have reviewed it elsewhere. Room seemed to be relatively clean etc.. but I will look for a better place to stay my next trip to St. John's.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Rita M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
I thankyou for your comments as we appreciate any feedback from our Guests. Reviews such as yours assist us to improve our service to our valued Guests. If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail, you may call the Hotel directly and ask for me.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I checked in pretty late in the evening, not one explanation of the hotel, amenities, food or anything; and did not realize that level '1' is below the Entrance. The bathroom is divided, between a tiny shower/toilet to one site and a wardrobe/sink to the other (you have a view of the later while lying in bed). The room had a window and a door beside it. The door was not wind-proof, and the blizzard that night was very loud and blew cold air in. The heater was very loud and blew the curtains. Not great. Also, the curtains were not closing properly, a lot of light came in; specially annoying at 4AM when the snowplow worked on the lot in front of the room. Typical toiletries and coffee maker. During check-out I was not asked whether I had a good stay, or thanked for my business, or heard a 'Hope to see you again'. I chose this hotel as being 'close' to the Airport, but will just stay downtown next time, which is not that much further anyhow.

Room Tip: As a female, you will feel safer on higher floors.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Rita M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
I apologize that your experience at the Holiday Inn St. John's was not great. Anytime that your room or any part of your stay does not meet or exceed your expectations, you may call the Duty Manager and we will do our best to make it better. I do hope that you would consider a future stay and I know we can show you an exceptional experience!

Travellers are raving about these St. John's hotels

Scouseville
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I share the same regrets about this hotel as many of the other reviewers.

The hotel seems dated starting with the lobby and going to the rooms. There, the sink is in a different room from the bathtub and toilet! Also, the curtains are not in great shape and let in a decent amount of light. That heating/cooling system is one of the worst I've seen in a hotel, and cannot maintain the temperature within 5°F of what you sent. You're either too cold or too hot at many points during the night! As if this isn't bad enough, the heating unit produces a dripping noise about 80% of the time that it is operating-sounds like water dripping on the plank of wood! Extremely annoying and reduced my sleep severely because of this.

Other gripes include the inability to change the input on the television, therefore not being able to hook up your laptop to it. Also, the cleanliness of the room isn't that of other "higher" hotel brands. Finally, the location of this hotel is about as useful as the heating system! Absolutely in the middle of nowhere!

I would be hard-pressed to recommend this to a friend traveling to the East Coast.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Rita M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
I am truly disappointed that your stay with was not a great experience. I assure you that all your comments have been reviewed by our Management. Any and all Guest comments are appreciated and encouraged.
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Check in was easy. Staff was helpful and polite. Check in is easy. Rooms were clean and well appointed. They have rooms with windows that open Close to the airport which is why I stayed there. Lots of outdoor free parking. In house restaurant (East side Mario's) which is OK, not great, but OK.

On the downside, other than tea and coffee in the rooms, there is nothing for travelers who need to catch an early morning flight....the restaurant doesn't open until 7:00 a.m. So, for people who need to be at the airport at 4:00 a.m., there is absolutely nothing, That is disappointing.

Room Tip: You can ask for a room with windows that open for fresh air.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 5 December 2012

So this place is promoted to a 3 star hotel due to the fact that they have a swimming pool. An OUTDOOR swimming pool. In NEWFOUNDLAND. Translation - the pool is closed 10.5 months a year. Without the swimming pool, this hotel only rates a 2 star based upon the quality.

Everything about it smacks of cheap. The bathroom has a little tiny bathtub - you'd never get a bath in it - surrounded by a cheap shower enclosure full of caulking. Classy. Very old and tired looking and what has been updated has been done as cheaply as possible.

The layout of the hotel is like a maze. Very confusing. Very unimpressive lobby - once you find it. We came in the rear entrance and had to fight our way through the middle of a Christmas party to get to the lobby. Don't know what that was about but it was very uncomfortable.

There were some housekeeping issues as well. There was a dirty face cloth hanging from the shower curtain when we got there. I was there 3 days and the stairwells were not cleaned at all. They were filthy all 3 days. Full of salt and mud. Desperately needed to be mopped. Granted, it was poor weather, but I left early each morning and it was clearly not cleaned the night before.

The place is so far overpriced for what you are getting its not funny. They are charging about the same as some of the nice hotels downtown on the waterfront.

Priceline used to allow you to bid on a 3 1/2 star hotel - and I used to always get a good deal at the Marriot downtown. This time it was 3 star or better - I didn't notice that change when I bid and we ended up here.

Next time we go for a weekend getaway, I will definately bite the bullet and pay a few extra bucks for a decent place downtown.

Like I said, if you were just in for a night and this place was $90 bucks - it would be tolerable. But at $150 bucks it is laughable.

Room Tip: Go downtown.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IMARover1973
Rita M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
I do apologize for the issues you encountered duing your stay with us. I assure you that every item mentioned is being reviewed by our Managemnet Team for followup. It is only through comments and suggestions such as yours that we may improve service for our Guests. Again, please accept my apologies and if you wish to discuss your experiences with me, you may contact the Hotel directly.

Thank-you

Rita
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I stayed here on a business trip. The staff was helpful and accommodating. Clean rooms, prompt service, and a beautiful view of the ponds. I will stay with them again. They answered every question and concern promptly and effectively.

• Stayed October 2012
Rita M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Thank-you for your lovely comments! We appreciate the feedback and will certainly pass this on to our staff. We look forward to your next visit!

Rita
Toronto, ontario
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Very expensive for a 3 star hotel, carpets need cleaning and overall only ok. The locks on the patio doors seemed flimsy and not very reassuring to a woman traveling alone.

Staff was nice but for the price carpets in the main areas need to be replaced.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Rita M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
I thank you for your comments and recommendations. We are currently looking into replacing the carpeting in the lobby. I apologize that you did not not feel the patio door in the room was secure. In your future visits, please let us know your concerns. We can book your room on a higher floor and also, make this note permanant for all your bookings. Again, thankyou. We appreciate any and all feedback from out valued Guests!