“disappointed”

Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
Halifax, Canada
“disappointed”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The room was clean enough-short of missing a top sheet on a bed, and the staff friendly but connecting to the internet to complete work was about impossible, if I was able to connect the signal would be lost. When checking in I inquired if they were busy, "No." was the reply. My room was adjacent to the vending machines and ice maker facing the parking lot and couldn't be changed. And for down times from work, the pool was closed for renovation. East side mario's, within the hotel is jammed down your throat for the best and only place to eat and drink. Won't book again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Norman V, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Kelly Hazel R:

Thank you for your comments pertaining to your recent visit.

We are disappointed to hear that you did not thoroughly enjoy your visit with us. It was unfortunate you experienced internet connectivity issues. After further investigating, we had found a componet of our system was down and had to be replaced with another unit. This unit had to be flown into the province and unfortunately was not available locally. This had caused a delay in getting the service back up in a timely manner

Once again, we extend our apologies.

regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We only stayed here for a night, and it was a great choice. It’s a clean and nice hotel. It’s only 5 minutes to the airport and about 10-15 minutes from downtown St. Johns. The service staffs are really there to please. We had left over food that we wanted to microwave, so I called front desk to ask if there’s a microwave somewhere we can use for just a few minutes (literally) and not only did they said yes, they brought a microwave up to our room for us to use. I didn't expect that! The only weird thing was the bathroom had a regular light and a red light, I’m not sure what that’s for but that was kinda weird. Would totally stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Norman V, General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Bluerose 979:

Thank you for your comments, as they are always appreciated.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay at Holiday Inn St. John's and found the location convienient, the accomodations clean and to your liking.

Also pleased to hear our Team could assist you by delivering a microwave to your room.

As to the "red" light in the washroom, that is actually a heat lamp over the bath tub, so that when you get out of the shower, you are not chilled when coming out and gives your body time to adjust to the outside temperature, just a little feature for guest comfort.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay at Holiday Inn St. John's and look forward to your next visit.

Regards

Norman V.
Halifax
Reviewed 14 July 2014

So we booked this hotel online before coming. We had no expectations until I went on the website. The website said there was a pool, wifi, etc. When we arrived and were checking in the clerk told us "So, you guys know our pool is under construction..?" .... had I have known that probably wouldn't have brought my bathing suit...waste of suitcase space. Its still a hole in the ground and 4 days staying here we never once saw anyone working on it so if you're staying in 2014 don't bother expecting a pool.
The whole hotel is Non-Smoking except there was a clear water bottle filled with disgusting water and cigarette butts on our balcony (that you CAN'T smoke on) because it wasn't removed before we arrived. We didn't even bother with breakfast because they wanted $13 for NOTHING! (coffee, juice, toast).
Two days in a row the housekeeper came at 8,am! Like, I'm on vacation please don't walk into my room that early.
Their wifi was down for almost a whole day also.
Never, ever staying here again.
EVER!
The only reason it got 2/5 instead of 1/5 is because the staff was friendly and I wont take that away from them.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Norman V, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear VictoriaJL:

We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment with your recent reservations.

We strive to provide as much communication of events on the property pertaining to renovations. We had this information on our own Brand Website at IHG.com but I am not sure which site you would have used to book your accomodations.

I have since requested to the 3rd party websites, to update and refresh the information they are currently displaying on our property, to prevent such a re occurence in the future.

Once again, please accept our apologies.

Travellers are raving about these St. John's hotels

Woodstock, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Was in St Johns for business for a couple of days. Arrived before 9 am and asked if I could get a early check in and they took care of my request immediately. Had a parcel coming in by UPS as well and they notified me as soon as it arrived and checked with me later to ensure that I received it. I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Riverpub94.ca

Thank you for your comments, they are always appreciated. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to meet your request of an early checkin.

Thank you once again and we look forward to your next visit.

Regards
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I went there last night to visit my sister and go for a swim in the outdoor pool but when we asked the receptionist she said it wasn't opened yet because it's seasonal? What season do you open it for? Summer officially started last week. Then she said well you know Newfoundland weather?? The last 2 summers have been amazing and definitely warm enough to have the pool going this time of year. You offer the only outdoor pool in a hotel in this city and it's not opened for summer?? She couldn't tell me if it was opening anytime soon either. So my sisters whole family were very disappointed since that's why they booked it. The receptionist also said it was written on your website that the pool was being renovated but the only info I could find about the pool was it was seasonal. My husband had booked an executive suite for us for my birthday on July 1st just because I love the pool there so we cancelled our reservation. It was very disappointing. She was right Newfoundlands weather is unpredictable but it's summer now and it's a heated pool so if your going to post seasonal it should open the first day of summer or at least by July 1st like every other outdoor pool in Newfoundland.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear onannday,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the pool policies prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed 7 nights...the room was regularly cleaned..the restaurant "East side Mario" was awesome..the only complaint would be about the wifi.. the network was poor in my room for couple of days...may be because my room was at the end of the corridor..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Overall great stay. Lots of free parking, free wi fi was appreciated, loved East Side Mario's restaurant and the half price appetizers. They always provide consistent friendly service. Appreciate that pets are permitted as well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Norman V, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Traveller:

Thank you for your comments as they are always appreciated.
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your next visit.