Murray Premises Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
JAG(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$175
  • Restaurant
Fairfield Inn & Suites St. John's Newfoundland(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$125
US$121
US$221
US$207
  • Pool
Comfort Inn Airport(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$106
US$158
US$151
US$406
US$392
  • Bar/Lounge
Super 8 St Johns(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$99
US$152
US$133
  • Pool
US$107
US$100
Courtyard by Marriott St. John's Newfoundland(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$147
All reviewsexposed beamstowel warmergeorge streetelectric fireplacehistoric buildingjacuzzi tubwater streetcontinental breakfastcookie cutterboutique hoteldowntown stfree parkinghard boiled eggslarge bathroomthird floorbars and restaurantsbagels
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed at the murray premises jacuzzi suite on a regular basis. We once again stayed Saturday night. The jacuzzi is excellent before you go out. Seeing it is downtown you can walk to all restaurants and to George street. Seeing it is so close you can drop back if needed. Take into a account t the cost for a cab down and back if you drink and then having to wait, this place is worth very Penney. We have stayed a dozen times and this is the first review. Thanks to Kelly for getting the room for our anniversary

Room Tip: Go for the jacuzzi suite and you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kelly F, General Manager at Murray Premises Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your comments regarding Murray Premises Hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your night out for your anniversary, we look forward to celebrating many more special occasions with you both.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have never been able to compare this place to anywhere else I've ever stayed. Why, because nothing else compares. The staff are beyond excellent, almost like family. The atmosphere from the minute you walk into the place, breaths into your soul and tells you to relax. The building itself, spectacular! I awake feeling like I'm in some beautiful attic, soulfully sweet. The location, second to none, I park on site and stroll through the wonderful downtown core. I do believe I leave a little part of me there each time until I return again. AWESOME. Johanna Ryan Guy

Room Tip: I've stayed in several rooms over the years, and never had a bad one yet, all are slightly different, but wonderful, with an old world charm.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Johanna,
Thanks so much for your wonderful comments regarding Murray Premises Hotel, we are so glad you enjoy the hotel and we look forward to your next visit soon.
Regards

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Wonderful location. Good-sized room with large bathroom with good shower and bath. Staff friendly and helpful when asked for information about sightseeing. We were in the newer section, in room 424 (I think) and I would not recommend this room as it has no windows looking out. There are 2 windows high up but you can see nothing, so there is no way to see if it is raining or the sun is shining brightly. We also experienced noise one of the 3 nights we were there, about midnight, loud enough that I could make out conversations, and it was disconcerting not to have the slightest idea of where the voices were coming from (not that it would have mattered).
I must thank management for not charging us the first night. Our plane was cancelled after the pilot said conditions were not safe for landing. I called the hotel before the pilot finished the sentence and this must be something the hotel deals with on a regular basis but I was very pleased with how understanding they were.
I would stay there again but in another room.

Room Tip: Not room 424
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your comments about Murray Premises Hotel. We are delighted overall you enjoyed your stay and found our staff friendly and helpful. I'm sorry the room did not meet your expectations, Room 424 is on the top floor with dormer windows that are high up, it's just part of the architectural design of the building, I'm glad you did enjoy the size of the room and shower/bath. We'll ensure your next stay you're in a different room. Thanks again for your comments, we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights at Murray Premises and can't say enough about it... great location -- 1 minute walk to the harbor, George Street, and walking distance to Signal Hill and Quidi Vidi... beautiful rooms with Jacuzzi tub, fireplace, great shower. Extremely helpful staff -- gave excellent advice on a number of things. Would stay there again in a second.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kelly F, General Manager at Murray Premises Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the wonderful comments on Murray Premises Hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and found our staff extremely helpful. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

This was our first time in St. John's, and I was there for business (my husband tagged along). The Murray Premises is in an *excellent* location - no need to rent a car if you are staying in St. John's proper; but if you do, they offer free parking. Cabs are always readily available and relatively inexpensive to take you to some of the area's great attractions (the cab drivers are awesome tour guides!). Everything you could need is within a block or two away, and it's definitely a very walkable city. The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable about the area and offered great recommendations for restaurants, etc.

Our one major regret was not reserving a larger room with more windows (although we had no idea that this would be an issue). We had one tiny window in the far right-hand corner of the room that let in very little light, and the lighting in the room was already very dim. We had a basic queen room - the bathroom was huge, but the tub was so high off the ground that it could actually be a little dangerous. The room's configuration was a little odd, and some of the plugs did not work. This hotel is aesthetically beautiful, but the amenities are relatively very basic and the wi-fi was slow. We specifically asked for a harbourside room (the harbour is just across the street), thinking it would be a nice view; but unfortunately it faced a new building that housed The Keg, Jack Astor's, and another chain restaurant, which blocked the harbour completely. In hindsight, I believe that a courtyard-facing room would have been much better, as would an upgraded room like a suite (a couch would have been nice), and on the third floor to avoid the noise from above. Also, with the sloped exposed beams (which are actually very unique and pretty), when I went to open the window one time, I turned around, and smashed my head quite hard, which left a nice-sized bump - so be careful if you have one of these rooms! We didn't spend a ton of time in the hotel, and it made for a perfect "home base".

Overall, it is a beautiful hotel in a great location, but my advice would be to spend the extra money for a suite or something higher-up than a queen room with more than one window. The courtyard had just opened for the season when we were there, and it has an outside bar, food, and plenty of tables with fire torches all around, which was really cool. There is also a very good restaurant attached to the hotel. We were there for a week and through Canada Day, and unlike some of the other reviewers' comments, we didn't find it to be very noisy at all, even though George Street is only 2 blocks up from the hotel; however, this could be because we were facing the harbour. I would recommend this hotel, but only with an upgraded room, multiple windows, and higher ceilings!

Room Tip: Choose an upgraded (higher than the basic queen room), third-floor (top floor) room with more than one window on the courtyard side. The harbourside is blocked by new buildings, so you can't see the harbour. Wouldn't recommend this hotel for families with kids.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your comments on Murray Premises Hotel. I'm delighted you enjoyed the location and overall all the hotel has to offer. I'm sorry your room was not adequate, each of our 69 rooms are unique with no two rooms alike due to the architectural design of the building. As you noted some rooms are smaller than others, our King rooms are much larger than our queen bedded rooms. Hopefully you'll be back again in the near future to try another room type.
Thank you again for your comment.s