“The brunch is worth the detour!”

Saltwater Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 386 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Casual and comfortable dining, fresh seafood and happy hour tapas in the heart of downtown St.John's, Newfoundland.
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I had the breakfast stew and let me tell you that it is one of the best brunch dishes I have ever eaten in my life!

1  Thank Genevieve143

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We ended up here by chance when we couldn't get into another restaurant and were really happy we did. Three of us ordered different meals and we all thought they they were absolutely among the best meals we had ever eaten. The staff was attentive. Quite pricey though.

1  Thank gaelem
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Loved this restaurant. Food and service was amazing. Our Wales waiter Mark was very accommodating in ensuring our meal options could be altered to a gluten free diet. Excellent experience overall.

1  Thank 4youngs2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I know this is a port, I know this is a fish town, I know this is what we are famous for but I had a dish that will live on.
The space is nice with no view, but garage windows for the St. John s heat wave and a cozy bar for the winter.
The female maître'd is confused and confusing, but the waiters knowledgable and attentive
My appetizer was not remarkable, but my companion assured me the chowder was definitely up market.
I am not usually a huge Halibut fan, but there is little or nothing out of the water I won't eat, but when the chef is putting on not one but two Halibut specials you know he has big fish
My brick of Halibut was white as snow cooked to juiciness served with a bacon an local Chanterelle sauce with perfect green peas and some unnecessary asparagus.
My companion also had Halibut rolled in coffee and served with spicy strawberries which was considered delicious.
All in all this was the best piece and serving of Halibut I have ever had. Maybe I am a new convert.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This was not my first or my second choice but it was in the top five restaurants that I want to try in St. John's. It is a very hot, very busy weekend with the George Street festival ongoing. First of all this is not the place to enjoy supper in a heatwave. It was hot and uncomfortable with no air conditioning at all

The staff seem to be really unsure about what to do and therefore unprofessional in a friendly sort of way. I could never seem to locate my server in this mostly empty restaurant when I needed him. The limited interaction I had with him was almost awkward. He seemed to be very introverted and not terribly knowledgeable about the food he was serving. I ended up having to connect with the other staff to get anything attended too including my bill. I saw them spend a fair bit of time gossiping behind the bar.

The food was a mixed blessing. The very generous order of muscles was superb. No complaints whatsoever. I did find it strange that three of the four specials all included haddock but I didn't try them and can't speak to their quality.

My entrée was duck. The breast was cooked perfectly although the skin did not have that crispiness that I hoped for. The gnocchi were done in the French style but we're pretty much mush because the plate and therefore the gnocchi were swimming in a very watery sauce. The sauce really needed to be reduced to concentrate the flavours and to avoid turning everything else on the plate into a mess. If I remember correctly there were supposed to be brussels sprouts on the plate but I couldn't find them in the pool of sauce. Apparently there were leaks in the sauce, but I couldn't taste them and frankly there was way too much pepper involved.

I'd give this place another try when maybe the staff are more motivated when the heat and humidity are not present. But with that said, St. John's is full of excellent eateries.