“Excellent value”

Homeport Apartment Hotel
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite for 2 nights and couldn't fault it. Very comfortable and spacious. They even provided a percolator and ground coffee. On our last morning I asked for a late checkout as my husband had been ill during the night. We got an extension at no extra cost. The cleaning staff were very friendly and helpful - much better than anything we have come across in the UK. We would not hesitate to recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Homeport Apartment Hotel

Reviewed 14 July 2012

The Good: (1) Some recent renovations like crown moulding or baseboards and fresh paint help to spruce up this otherwise visibly aged complex, (2) Spacious master bedroom and general living space, (3) Lots of parking and central to the city.

The Bad: (1) NO A/C or fan/cooling unit! Two floor fans are provided but are far from the answer. If staying here during a heat spell – beware of extreme heat! (2) Lots of noises. The floors creek, voices from other units carry, closing of doors are heard, (3) No elevators for those in need.

The Ugly: (1) Dated and dingy upholstery on the sofas and chairs in the main living area, (2) Countertops in kitchen renovated but cupboards still very difficult and ill equipped with cooking/ kitchen gear, (3) Lingering odours.

Room Tip: Anywhere on the top floor so to minimize overhead noise and closing of entrance door on main level.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Blair155019
Reviewed 12 June 2012

It is greatto stay somewhere when I am travelling that feels like a home istead of the usual hotel, especially when I am going to be away for more than 2 nights. Each little apt has its own kitchen, little dining area and living room. The rooms are always spotless when I am there and I cannot say enough about how great the staff are. While the place looks like an apt building instead of a traditional hotel, in a way, that is what it serves as! I can walk to Tim Hortons, the Grocery Store, or small restuarants, just by walking out the front door! When you stay here, you are not going to get the boutique experience, because it is not a boutique hotel,, but if you are looking for a little home away form home. or a place to stay with a family that is affordable, then I recommend this place.

Room Tip: I stay here on every trip to St. John's...I prefer to stay in the building where the main office...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sleepywillow49
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Hillview Terrace got us through a difficult time between homes. We had our two large dogs and a cat with us so our options were quite limited.
We were given one of the pet-friendly suites in the basement floor of the building - which is very convenient when with dogs. It was fairly quiet.
The suite itself was not done up as nicely as some of the non-pet-friendly suites but it suited our needs. The 1 bedroom suite only had a double bed which takes some getting used to for two people.
It is a small apartment and we were glad to get into our home but it got us through 3 weeks.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I do not know what the building is made of, you can hear anything in the building, espically in the night. I lived there for a few days and never got a good sleep. Finally, I decided to move to a real hotel. I was happy I made the right decision.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank ianzhtan
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Although we booked our two bedroom suite well in advanced, we were given a basement location. We asked to be moved, but were told there wasn't anything else available. The place was damp and smelled. Everything was old and showed no signs of renovations. There was dehumidifier running in the living room, but we had to empty it during the night. On top of that, the beds were like rocks. Given our son's asthma, we could not stay there beyond one night. We moved to the Holiday Inn and it was cheaper than Hillview Terrace. When we checked out, we told the desk manager why we were leaving, but he didn't seem to care. If you plan on staying here, make sure you don't end up in the basement. I've stayed here many times before and I can honestly say, the place is going downhill. This was certainly my last stay at Hillview Terrace.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Mightypen175
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I stayed here last year for a few weeks. All I have to say is I loved it. It's so close to Sobeys which is handy and the bus right outside will take you downtown in about 15 minutes. Some people might complain about the location, it's opposite a pretty crappy strip mall...but regardless I really enjoyed my time here.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends