The Roses Heritage Inn
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Blue on Water(St. John's)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
JAG(St. John's)
  • Restaurant
All reviewstop floorb brose blanchechurch parking lotmilitary roadantique furniturebeautiful antiquesbreakfast roomglorious dayshearts delightparadise roomsignal hillstairs are steepperiod piecesbalcony overlooking the harbourthird floordowntown st
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This B&B is in a great location and close to all things downtown. That's about the only plus. We were able to check in early, so that was helpful as we had no car and didn't want to carry our bags around the city. The inn and the room are fairly dated. I'm pretty sure you can still have updated rooms and maintain the old charm, but that has not been done here. We stayed in the Sweet Bay room and it was fairly clean, the large bed was comfortable, the twin bed was not. This particular room is right beside the stairs so you can hear people talking clearly as they walk by, and I have to assume they can hear everything in the room as well. There was a slight musty smell in the room, but it wasn't so bad that it made us uncomfortable, but someone who is more sensitive to that kind of thing might want to look elsewhere. I would consider staying here again, but only if the price for a night's stay was $75.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My spouse, our 11 year old son and I stayed in the "Sweet Bay" room for two nights at the end of July, 2013. It was adequate. The room was nicely decorated except for some exposed plumbing and it was clean. The bathroom appeared to have been renovated recently. The room was not air conditioned. The beds were comfortable. The cable for the television was not connected but we were able to get it to work eventually.
There was no one to welcome us on our arrival. The key for our room was in an envelope on a table by the front door. A sign in the front hall invited us to remove our shoes but we did not do so. There was no sense of being in someone's home. The halls and staircases looked a bit run down.
The small breakfast room is on the third floor of the house next door. It was full at 9:00 a.m. on the first morning of our stay and we couldn't wait for a table to become free. 9:00 a.m. St. John's time corresponds to 7:30 a.m. Toronto time which may explain why it was busy.
Karen who works there provided cups of coffee to my spouse and me which was very kind. Karen was the best thing about the Roses. She was very friendly and positive. The next morning she tried hard to find something that our son who was being rather fussy would eat for breakfast. I really appreciated her efforts. My spouse and I had cheese omelettes which were adequate. There are restaurants a short distance from the Roses which offer better food.
As other reviewers have mentioned, the location is excellent. We loved St. John's and expect to visit the city again. I doubt though that we'll stay at the Roses the next time. The building is an old three storey duplex that was unhappily transformed into a collection of bedrooms with ensuites. It has neither the warmth of a true B&B nor the impersonal efficiency of a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We are surprised at how much we have to pay for a tired worn B&B in this town. The room we had was spacious as was the e suite bath. The bed was very good and with Earplugs I got a good sleep. It's a great location for walking everywhere. We paid $5 to park in the lot across from the inn as there didn't seem to be available spots on the street when we arrived. This is the first time we've stayed in a B&B with absentee hosts and I did find it rather lacking somehow.
I would describe our room as quite clean but not quite to the usual standard I've found in B&B's where the owners are about and have pride of place. The building has had some obvious renovation but mainly a lipstick job . The building needs investment for the longer term. Paint on the front steps is nearly gone , our sink doesn't drain properly, ceiling has large cracks, carpet was rippled, and so on. breakfast was disappointing . Frozen hash brown patties, terrible coffee, kind of a slap dash affair compared to the exquisite presentations we have repeatedly experienced throughout Atlantic Canada and with a 25 percent price premium!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Great location, easy walking to Water Street, The Rooms, Quidi Vidi. Friendly staff, a good fixed breakfast. Not much in the way of amenities but after all it is a B&B. The rooms were clean along with easy parking and having Coffee Matters just next door what else could you want

Room Tip: If you are travelling with another couple ask for the ground floor (2 bedrooms/shared bath) in the red building. Also take time punching in the security code.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 2001Miata
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

In two adjacent older homes, this B&B has many rooms, each with a different layout.
Breakfast is served on the top floor of number 9. Cooked breakfast except for Sundays - continental breakfast of cereal, fruit and toast available everyday.
TIP.
Avoid the ground floor rooms of number 9 as these two rooms share a bathroom. Every other room has a private en suite.
TIP NUMBER TWO.
The basement room in number 11 (Comfort Cove room) has a kitchen and two rooms- great for longer stays or families.

• Stayed: August 2013