Hometel on Signal Hill
US$156
US$146
  • Pool
Fairfield Inn & Suites St. John's Newfoundland(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$116
Comfort Inn Airport(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$99
Courtyard by Marriott St. John's Newfoundland(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$191
US$178
Hotels.com
US$100
US$89
Ramada St. John's(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$96
Agoda.com
US$160
US$154
Super 8 St Johns(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$121
US$118
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewssignal hillyogurthard boiled eggscontinental breakfastthird floorliving roomno elevatorother gueststhe check in deskclose to downtownbottled waterhear people walkingcabot towerself servequidi vididowntown strow houses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I had a very serious complaint regarding an issue. I spoke to a manger on the day it happened. I waited two months received no response from the hotel. I sent a written letter via mail explaining my issue. I waited a month more, no response. Failing to even ackowledge an issue is not a good business practice.
Also, there is very limited parking.

Room Tip: If one does not rent all the rooms in the house then you do not get access to the kitchen area. Thus you will have no fridge.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank ogo1a
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I mostly enjoyed my stay of 4 nites in the shoulder season at the Hometel. The staff are mostly five-star; there were a few times when they were particularly helpful, and I appreciated that very much. In one case, I had unwittingly left my passport (and other items) behind after my stay, and they tried to reach me by phone and email to let me know they had it. They were successful, and I am quite grateful. They also are GLBT friendly, and wont give a hassle about that.

Why 4 dots instead of 5? Well, partly, I have great resistance to rating anything in a way that might be construed as perfect....but, there are a few quibbles or situations that bear noting. While I was able to park my car nearby each night, the available parking off-street is limited to short driveways in front of the rowhouses, one car per. Each rowhouse has 3 units, so there is a potential for problems....on-street parking is limited and regulated in some areas.

The unit I stayed in was fine for my purposes, but the carpets could use some freshening up (I think they had a 'bad' guest in the past). Other units could be just fine for all I know (unfortunately, I didn't go snooping during housekeeping time).

Overall, I do recommend the place, just understand that some of the advertising might be a bit optimistic. St. John's is not an inexpensive place to stay, and for the local market conditions, this was a good choice :-). It's walkable to downtown, rooms have ac/ and fan (yea!!!), and it's not a chain outfit. Continental breakfast is average (happy there were boiled eggs available!). I've had worse (elsewhere in St.John's) but not better. I do suggest replacing or supplementing the margarine with actual butter.

Room Tip: there are no noisy areas. there also are no elevators, and each rowhouse has three stories (just so you know).
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank rockhammerwa
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We found this place after having a bad experience in one of the local b&b's and are glad we did. We rented a three bedroom unit (for two couples) and it was a better deal both financially and much better in terms of quality. Location is good as it is partway Signal Hill so just a short walk to the Geo Centre and further up to the Cabot Tower, but also not far from downtown St. John's. Basically our unit was a three bedroom, 2 1/2 bath apartment with a fully stocked kitchen, dining room, living room, laundry, garage, plus breakfast supplied in the breakfast room upstairs above the check in desk. We even had a view of the harbour from our bedroom. Staff were helpful and friendly. The only drawback could be if you have any mobility issues (or too much luggage) - two sets of stairs (although there is a bedroom and half bath on the main floor, the living areas are on the second floor and the two main (better) bedrooms are on the 3rd floor).

Room Tip: We stayed in unit 9 which has a view of the harbour from the master bedroom and has furnishings that are more attractive than the picture on the website. In general, from our experience, I would say the place looks better in real life than on the website.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I came upon this while trying to find reasonably priced accomodation in St.Johns (good luck!) for a couple of days of sight-seeing before venturing forth to the rest of "the rock".

I had trouble figuring out from their website exactly what you were getting. The complex is a row of brick clad wood frame 3 storey walk-up townhouses which have been renovated to create hotel rooms and suites. The building we were in had two hotel rooms on the third floor (03/04), a hotel room on the second floor (02) and I believe a suite (no kitchen) on the main (01). There is also a kitchen area on the second that is locked up, but they will rent the entire building to you as a unit and give you the kitchen (these are the complete home rentals they refer to).

The buildings are in a residential neighbourhood about 500m to the edge of downtown and about 1.6km to the various George Street taverns (downhill to get there and uphill coming home). The location is a tradeoff: you give up proximity to downtown for a better price and a quiet neighbourhood. Parking is available on site but first come/first served and parking is at a premium - you may have to park on the street a couple of blocks away. It is handy to Signal Hill and Quidi Vidi.

The 1403 room was pretty much as pictured on their website as a premier room - modern, fairly roomy, good bed, large bathroom, good internet access and clean. Two full flights of stairs to lug everything up and back down again - be warned.

There is a complimentary continental breakfast on the second floor of the office building. It was fairly standard with coffee/tea, juice, fruit, yogurt, cereal, toast, bagel, muffins and boiled eggs.

As far as value goes, it was fair for the market. Unfortunately we found St. Johns very disappointing - a bit of oil money and they think they are somebody with prices comparable to Calgary and Edmonton for lodging and higher for meals PLUS taxes - and poorer offerings in both. The harbour is a dirty working harbour - nothing like the gentrified tourist area in Halifax. If you really want to see Newfoundland, spend a day here and see the obligatory sights: Signal Hill, Cape Spear (eastern most point in Canada), the Terry fox memorial and the bars down on George Street - then head out of town - we liked the rest of the province much better.

Room Tip: There are no elevators and the only ground floor rooms are the "01" series. If you have mobility issues, you definitely want ground floor - and even then parking/walking may not be the best in this location.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hawki56
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed here on Aug 1st and 2nd, 2013, week of the George St Festival and it was a very busy city. Our room was on the third floor so there were a few stairs to climb. The room was a good size, the bed was comfy, a large spotlessly clean bathroom; fridge and coffee maker in room. It was hot weather, our room faced the afternoon sun and the window air conditioner did not work the best but it cooled off fairly good by bedtime. The complimentary continental breakfast provided was in a separate building and was very adequate with fruit, yogourt, cereal, toast, bagel, muffins, boiled eggs, juice, tea/coffee. It is a great location, within walking distance of downtown, fine walking down, a little more energy required walking back up the hill. It is very close to may tourist attractions; Signal Hill, Cape Spear, Quidi Vidi and we especially enjoyed Petty Harbour, a short distance away. The price seemed very reasonable for the closeness to downtown. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends