“Had a great 3 week stay”

Courtyard by Marriott St. John's Newfoundland
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I spent 3 weeks at this hotel and had a great time. The hotel is clean, the staff are friendly and the hotel is centrally located in the downtown area. The hotel even had someone help me clean the snow off my car after it snowed the night before. It was a very nice gesture. The hotel also has a small lounge and a restaurant which I ate at many tmes and I always had a good meal. There are also lots of restaurants and lounges within walking distance and the city is also very safe and the people are very friendly. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the harbour as it is very interesting to watch the activity.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 December 2012

We checked into the hotel as was greeted by a very friendly personnelle. Place was beautifully decorated for Christmas and was told about the amenities the place offered. given our key to room 307. According to pictures on line,Junior Suite, it showed bedroom separate from a living space area. Not likely! In our room, even tho it was newly renovated as quoted from front desk, was very clean and bathroom huge. Kitchenette off to the side when you walk in. The whole time we were there, water was running in the wall (hopefully in pipes). It kept me awake all night..it was crazy. The view was nice looking out the narrows but with wires from the pole and trucks coming and going in the shipyard during the evening. As well, that morning we heard a full conversation from a man on his cell phone in the hall...sounded like he worked there as across the hall was a room marked Office. Don't think we will stay here again.

Room Tip: don't stay in room 307!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tamasu
Reviewed 2 December 2012

This was my first time in Newfoundland and certainly won't be my last. This hotel was absolutely perfect! The staff was extremely attentive, professional, and knowledgeable! The only drawback is the lack of restaurant choices in the area, but this is not the hotel's fault... I arrived a couple hours earlier than normal check-in but it was absolutely no problem. I was invited to help myself to a complimentary welcome drink while I waited for my room to be ready, it took about 15 minutes. Throughout my entire stay, everything was exactly as you’d hope for. Rooms were clean, staff was friendly, and parking was easy! I will definitely be back :)

Room Tip: Definitely do what you can to get a high room floor overlooking the harbour. Watching the boats and...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Kevin C
Reviewed 26 November 2012

This past month I was visiting St Johns from California and stayed at the Courtyard for five nights. My flight arrived after midnight and I checked in around 1 AM. Check in at that hour, after ten hours of travel was quick and easy - and my deluxe room was comfy, immaculate, and welcoming. During my stay I was not disturbed by other guests and if there was any noise going on I didn't hear it. Their in-house restaurant, Smitty's has an awesome "Rocky Mountain Burger" I'd recommend and a full-bar for a reasonable price along with a nice view of the harbor. There is stable WiFi available and a business desk in the deluxe rooms. Beds were comfortable and linens were clean. The shower/bath in my room was spacious and polished.

Whenever I needed necessities (towels, soap, etc) they set me up with extras. If I needed directions somewhere or a suggestion, the front desk was polite enough to direct me. I want to give a big cheers to the staff there for doing such an impeccable job. This was one of the more comfortable stays I've had with a Marriott and these kind of visits keep me returning.

For those of you who have never been to the area or are looking for a downtown location this is optimal. I walked up the street almost every day to wander shops, boutiques, and hop the bus. One day I walked from the hotel up to hike around Signal Hill (it's well within walking distance if you're fit/ready for the climb.) Their Marriott Market is available, but if they don't have what you need there is a small shop/grocer/market across the street that is open until midnight on most nights.

Noteworthy: This hotel does not offer an airport shuttle but the cab ride was just under twenty bucks. I found that there is usually a cab parked out front during the day and evenings for prospective passengers and the front desk can arrange for a cab to pick you up.

Ladies, the in-room blow dryer is exceptional (so many places offer HORRIBLE in-room blowdryers and if you're a lady you understand.)

Room Tip: My room was next to an elevator and it didn't disturb me once, don't worry if they book you...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lapsa84
Reviewed 24 November 2012

This hotel is a pleasant hotel, located about a 15 minute walk from the very heart of the city of St John’s. Its main entrance is on Duckworth Street, with a lower level entrance on Water Street, the main street of the city. It is easily accessible by taxi from the airport (it cost me $22 to come in from the airport at midnight after my flight had arrived, and $18 to get out to the airport for an 8.45 am departure). I always request a higher floor (knowing that some people do not like higher floors) and had a great room on the top 7th floor with a fantastic view out to the “Narrows”, the entrance to St John’s harbor, and to the colorful fishing village of the Battery and Signal Hill. The sunrises over the entrance to the harbor were magnificent. The whole harbor front is a working harbor – so do not expect unspoiled scenic views. You will see ships loading and unloading, cranes at work, trucks coming and going. But being high up, the view was really lovely despite this, and there was hardly any harbor noise.

My room (harbor view with king bed) was comfortable, very nicely furnished, with a good desk for working, and a comfortable armchair that I could turn to watch the harbor and the view. It is not a large room but totally adequate for my needs. Free wireless internet is throughout the hotel, including lobby and restaurant areas, and worked fine. A coffee maker to make fresh filtered coffee is available in the room, and newspapers were left outside the door. Coffee is also available free in the lobby, as were fresh-baked cookies in the evening - a very nice touch. I found all staff to be very polite, courteous and helpful. Whether it was cleaning staff, maintenance, restaurant or desk personnel, there was a warm cheerful greeting and a smile when I encountered them. Desk staff were happy to offer suggestions and maps. I had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, with a nice view out to the harbor. The egg/potato/vegetable skillet was tasty, and the lunch sandwich was fresh and abundant.

Overall I think the hotel is in a good location. It is not right in the very heart of downtown, yet easily accessible by walking a short distance. It is a good base for walking around the “jelly bean” colored heritage homes along Gower Street and the many side streets above the hotel. This colorful walk also takes you up to the “Rooms”, the art gallery / museum / archives complex of St John’s. Well worth a visit for a great historical and cultural introduction to the city, and some stunning views down across St John’s and to the harbor. It also has a great coffee shop with views. From the hotel (turning right on Duckworth Street) I walked up the road to the Eco Centre (a good uphill walk) and ultimately to the top of Signal Hill for superb views of the city, harbor and Atlantic coastline. Well worth it for the views – and the exercise. I also did a walk (about 2.5 km) to Quidi Vidi lake and fishing village (including the Brewery). Very pretty. You can easily take a taxi there. In the other direction (turning left on Duckworth Street), you get into the city center, with its many restaurants (marvelous choices), coffee shops and lots of stores selling art work, products, souvenirs and jewelry from across Newfoundland and Labrador. Not a city of departments stores and designer shopping, if that is what you want. The bar / club strip on George Street that locals talk about and recommend was pretty unattractive to me. I just wished I had been able to see an iceberg float by – but apparently these happen in June and July. While it was not the tourist season, everything seemed to be open!

Room Tip: Always ask for a high room when booking
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank WorldTraveller08901
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I had business in St John's recently and stayed at the Courtyard. While this chain is predictable, which is good, well located and is well appointed, the people made the difference here. The front desk staff are exceptional. The people in general are very kind in St John's but the folks at the hotel went above and beyond.
The hotel views are great if you face the harbour and a great restaurant is located next door.
If you travel to St John's, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Marg M
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I just arrived back home from a weekend stay at the Marriott in St. John's with a few girlfriends. I have to start off by saying that the staff at this hotel is excellent!! They are one of the friendliest staff I've dealt with out of all the hotels I've stayed in. Although the hotel is a little dated, it is very clean and housekeeping gets the job done fast. We stayed in a junior suite, the site says it sleeps 4. This room does not have two beds. It has one regular bed and one bed that folds out from the couch. Our room was also on the main floor, but we still had an awesome view of the harbour. There is a restaurant attached called Smitty's - great for breakfast! Service is excellent and fast. The hotel is also in a great spot, right down town close to Water Street and George Street. I would recommend this hotel based on the staff, location and cleanliness. If you want something a little more modern, I would suggest staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends