“The way Fish n Chips should be!!!”

Leo's Restaurant & Take Out
Ranked #54 of 390 Restaurants in St. John's
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The way Fish n Chips should be!!! Went to Leo's on recommendation of a local. Was not disappointed. Fish was lovely and light, batter crispy and the fries were home cut not frozen. Would definitely go back if ever in NFL again!!!

1  Thank MFSNBCanada

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We had great expectations due to reviews and were presented with smaller than average portions. Small plate, small pieces of over cooked fish and soggy not crisp fries and no coleslaw?? Would not recommend. Jackie's in rocky harbour rated ten plus in comparison. Worse experience ever.

1  Thank Foodlover1009
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

The food was awesome. The locals that I know made fun of us for going there and recommended By The Beach, but we tried both and this was better overall. Atmosphere is cute, small and family friendly - nothing fancy. Staff were friendly, portion sizes were fair to generous, and the cost was reasonable.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We're from out of town. Decided to try this place for fish and chips after a friend recommended it. We enjoyed our meal, although the price was higher then we're used to paying for a comparable meal in Halifax. The fish was delicious and fresh! The fries were just ok, I think they were fresh cut potatoes, but I found them to be a bit hard - maybe overcooked? I'm really not sure what the fuss is about having the dressing on the fries, it wasn't dressing that we're used to, more like just very dry, loose, seasoned bread crumbs, not at all like a "turkey dinner" type dressing like I assumed it would be. I would not pay to add the dressing again or even take it for free - just gravy for me! Overall I did enjoy my meal, just make sure you get gravy on the fries to soften them up a bit! Décor has probably never been updated since they originally opened, very old diner style and small/crammed. Maybe that's the look they prefer to keep though.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Off the beaten track, not fine dining AT ALL but perfectly done fish and chips.
Fries were fresh cut and crispy, fresh cod had a nice crunchy batter.
Friendly service.
No need for tartar sauce but if they made a fresh one rather than the little packets ..this would have made a perfect plate of fish and chips.
I'm rating the food not the décor .. it could use a bit of updating.
The basics were covered .. windows, tables and ceiling vents were clean .. something I realized St Johns restaurants are apparently not conscious of.
I can forgive the lack of ambience and just go for the good stuff.