“Classic Old Historic Premises but lacking in many respects” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ryan Mansion Boutique Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St. John's
Ryan Mansion Boutique Hotel
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Toronto, Canada
“Classic Old Historic Premises but lacking in many respects”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

The Ryan Mansion presents itself as the premier inn in St. John's and charges rates which would reflect that status. Overall we were disappointed with our four night stay. We left wondering if they are squeezed financially since we did not find the level of frills and luxury one would expect for the price we were paying.
The many pictures showing Prince Phillip and Camila having stayed there in the past did not suffice to convince us this was an exceptional place. More attention needs to be paid to the non-royal present guests.
Our room was adequate and had some nice antique style furniture and a TV but there were no bells or whistles that one might expect in a top Inn - like a fruit basket for instance (we were there for 4 nights) or even interesting reading material.
The breakfast was disappointing. It grew comical in its meagre sameness. Each breakfast started off with a fruit ration. I have never seen so little fruit presented on a plate for breakfast (1 very small chunk of Cantelope, two small slices of Kiwi, three cherries and half a strawberry on a fairly large plate). The rest of the breakfast was always an egg dish which the chef insisted on covering with a strong balsamic drizzle (that overpowered the food) and a couple of pieces of toast. No choice, no grains, no small buffet. Very disappointing for what was supposedly a top establishment.
The garden in the back is sad, with weeds in the gardens and weeds in the window boxes on the windows. The front door is unwelcoming and difficult to open and locked so you have to have your key (after you check in) or ring the bell for quite some time (as we did on arrival).

Staff was friendly and helpful in providing directions and commentary on things to do when asked.

All in all, it was just okay without any wow factor and quite expensive for what we received relative to the many other places we stayed in Nfld on this trip.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Cankenjan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Brampton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

I had to travel to St. John's for one night for business. Unable to find a hotel room, my colleague and I booked two rooms at Ryan Mansion. We arrived about 9 p.m. and in the dark had a bit of difficulty locating where to park. We parked at the back of the building and entered through a small courtyard. Instead of a warm welcome, we were greeted with 'You came in the wrong door'. We checked in and asked about the breakfast. Mary told us it was served at 8. We explained that we had to check out by 7:15 and asked if there was any flexibility with the time only to be told no, the cook only arrives at 7. Frankly, I was shocked that after paying over $300 each for our rooms there was no effort to provide us with even a small snack in the morning. We were able to get a cup of coffee in the morning but no offer of even a muffin. Although the mansion was lovely, it was quite noisy and the service was sadly lacking. For these reasons I would not return here or recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
14 Thank Sue R
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

I recently spent a week in St. John's with my daughter at the Ryan Mansion. It was highly recommended from a friend of mine and it did not disappoint. Although I initially missed it (it is located at a triangle intersection) it is very easy to find and is a lovely historical landmark in this wonderful city. Everything had a quiet elegant charm about it. Our room was comfortable and beautifully appointed. The staff are personable,courteous and discreet. I understand why this beautiful landmark home will no longer be operated as a boutique hotel and it is a bittersweet feeling. The owners/operators were so nice to us that I truly want them to enjoy this next stage in their private home. Selfishly, I am truly sad that Ryan Mansion will no longer be available as a charming boutique hotel to stay at in while visiting St. John's. Highly recommend anyone travelling before the end of September to see if you can find availability before this lovely boutique hotel closes its doors.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Colleen D
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012 via mobile

I thought for a long while about whether to give this place 2 or 3 stars, and truly would prefer 2.5. But that's not an option! But here is why:

First off, the property itself is quite lovely, which is what pushed me toward 3 stars. It's tastefully decorated, and charming. The breakfast is quite nice, with fresh squeezed OJ, which is always a treat.

Now for the not so good. First of all, when you come to a small boutique property, you expect exemplary service. We found the exact opposite here. On arriving, there was no welcome or warm hello, only a suspicious nod. In our room, we found old soap still in the shower. Also, our phone wasn't working, and I had to ask Three times to have it fixed. This is in a place with maybe 5 or 6 rooms...I'm not sure why I had to keep reminding them. I found that a lot of the staff didn't have knowledge about the property or the area. Everyone deferred to Mary. Also, my pillowcase smelled very used, and had someone else's hair left on it. I had to find my own toilet paper in the supply closet because it had not been replaced upon cleaning. Our water was not refreshed. My husband had ordered a bottle of wine to our room that was not delivered. I had to go and ask for it, then bring it up myself.

Finally, upon leaving, one of my friends forgot the keys to her room in her pocket, and when she went to the front door to return them, she was greeted by Mary with a cold, "What?".

I read in another review that this place is closing come September, and I think that is best. They are truly not interested in customer service, and should not be considered a boutique hotel. They might be better off as a historical site, since it seems that they have a lot of interest in their connection to the Titanic.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank DrTToronto
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

A delightful trip made even more so by my stay at Ryan Mansion. On each of my three days, I set out for full day of touring after a delicious breakfast and was met late afternoon upon my return with a hot cup of tea and a warm blueberry muffin which was served in my room. The accommodation was 5 star in every regard. I was pampered and my every need was met. During a conversation with Mary the housekeeper I was advised that the Ryan Mansion will be closing its doors as a hotel in late September. The owners who are busy developers are taking over this magnificent mansion as their private residence. Lucky for them and lucky for me that I was able to stay during my vacation.

Room Tip: All the rooms I seen were lovely. I however I decided to opt for the Princess Royal Suite
8 Thank Betty G
St. John's, NL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

I have been having back trouble and decided to get a massage. I had only recently heard about the Ryan mansion and its spa, and decided to give it a try. I called to check out the price for a 1 hour massage which was quoted to me at a price of $110, which included a cup of tea and 1/2 hr foot soak. Other comparable spas charge $95, but I thought, what the heck, becasue the pictures seemed so nice Id give it a try. I told the person who I spoke to that I needed a regsitered massage therapist for insurance reaons.
My appoitment was at 4:30 on a friday afternoon. I arrived at about 4:10, hopeing to take in some of the ambiance. I knocked, and rang the bell for 10 minutes and no one answered. I knew someone was there because the lights were on. I went and sat in my car waited, then called a few times, and no one answered. I went back and rang the doorbell again at exactly 4:30, this time someone came to the door. I mentioned that I had been calling and had rung the door bell earlier, but got no expalnation for the non response.
I waited for a few minutes before the massage therapist greeted me. The massage itself was great. After finsihing, I was expecting my tea and foot soak, but was briskly sent to the cash to pay, of well I though, guess I dont get that treat. When I was checked out I was shocked to find that the massage weas actually $$140 (with no tip included). I was charged more because it was a registered massage therapist.!!!
Will I be returning here - absolutely not!!! Nor will I be recommending this place to anyone else.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
19 Thank jonescj24
Falmouth,N.S.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

Recently spent a cold,blustery weekend in St. John's until I stepped into the charm and warmth of the Ryan Mansion! Greeted promptly and shown to my cosy room with fireplace,air jet tub and the most comfortable bed with luxurious linens! Mary saw to my every need and I was treated as I was the most important guest there!Spent an afternoon at the spa which was a delightful and relaxing experience! Should I have an opportunity to return to Newfoundland,I wouldn't hesitate to return to the Mansion! .....if Mary would only give me her fabulous blueberry muffin recipe!

6 Thank Heather7_12