“The only "descent" hotel in Yelloknife! Terrible Room Service”
Review of Explorer Hotel

Explorer Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I've been to this hotel on several trips, about 12 stays ranging from 1-14 nights.

The consistency of the bad service from room service is astonishing. Burned food, charged 4 lattes when wanted 4 shots of espresso etc...(I seem to get that often). I have tried several dishes, all over priced and it's better and fastert to order from the local KFC!

Location is OK if you NEED to be downtown, otherwise not very pleasant, poor shopping and back alleys not always safe.

Rooms are ok and clean but can SOMEBODY clean the main front glass doors!!!?? They have been filthy for months, it's summer now, no excuses!

If you enjoy B&B you might be lucky, otherwise for being the Diamond Capital of North America, the Explorer could smarten up!

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

Good morning Bvaudry,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. We would like to thank you for your business and continued loyalty. I apologize for your `sub-par` room service experience, as this is certainly not representative of the dining experience we wish to provide. I have discussed your comments with our Chef and restaurant manager and I can assure you that your feed back has not been ignored and will be used to make our in-room dining experience better. I also apologize that you feel our menu does not represent good value; however, your comparison of our menu to a fast food outlet is unfair and unjust.

With regard to the cleaning of our front entry doors, I can ensure you that these doors and windows are cleaned multiple times daily and as you can appreciate see lots of traffic. I am also pleased to report that all exterior windows in the hotel from top to bottom were just cleaned last week. Understanding that we need to provide that positive `first impression` we have recognized that our front entry doors need to be replaced and I can confirm with you that this is a project in our plan to complete in the near future.

We have many great things happening here at The Explorer Hotel and we look forward to you experiencing it on your future visits in town. All the best and have a great summer!

Best regards,

Jamie Bolduc

Reviewed 11 June 2012 via mobile

room was very hot and you cannot control room temperature. Food was "okay" but overpriced for what you get. Staff was friendly and very curteous, though I did not enjoy one individual I assume was management.. very unprofessional to treat staff so terribly in front of guests (like myself) especially right at the font desk.. all in all probably the best yellowknife has to offer!! We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank MrKmanson4
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Good morning MrKmanson,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit and review. I apologize that your room was uncomfortable and that you felt our menu was overpriced. It is my hope that someone from our guest services team was able to assist you with the room temperature controls. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the food and the staff; however, your concern of 'unprofessional' dealings by possibly a management person with staff, is deeply concerning to me and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Our staff are our greatest asset, therefore such treatment is completely unacceptable. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience, via by e-mail or telephone.

Yours in Hospitality,

Jamie Bolduc
gm@explorerhotel.ca
800.661.0892

Reviewed 23 March 2012

Absolutely fine for Yellowknife with a helpful staff, but mediocre food. Rooms have spectacular views but are a little tired.
Very dry air, but that's likely inevitable given winter climate

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank KjartanToronto
Douglas P, Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Thank you very much for your comment. We thank you for staying with us when you were in Yellowknife, and we look forward to you staying with us again in the future. We are undergoing renovations now, so hopefully your next stay will be that much more comfortable. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you decide to stay with us again. We can guarentee that your stay will be most enjoyable.

Naresh,
operations@explorerhotel.ca

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Initially we got checked into a room that already had people in it - not a huge deal - then the rooms have heat you can't adjust so it was uncomfortably hot at night - when the people return from the lights tours at all hours of the morning they were very noisey - the vending machines were empty - the tv remote did not work and and finally I could not use the gym because the door to get into it was broken and was not fixed again before I left. Combined I would probably not recommend this hotel for the price.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Jnet400
Douglas P, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

I would like to thank you for your response.

We are very sorry for the inconviences that occured during your stay with us.

We have looked into these issues and they have been rectified.

We would like you to contact us directly if you are planning to visit Yellowknife in the future. We would ensure that your stay with us would be most comfortable.

Once again we apologize greatly.

Douglas. A .Pears CHA
gm@explorerhotel.ca

Reviewed 8 February 2012

High- end luxury for Yellowknife! Clean, friendly staff, great restaurant. We moved here after suffering one night at Chateau Nova. We were given an 8th floor room facing the Great Slave Lake, with beautiful views. The ravens outside the windows were an added treat as they glided the winds close to the building. I recommend this place with highest honors!

Room Tip: Stay off the second floor unless you are a smoker. And, king-size beds are truly KING-sized!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LizardHntr
Reviewed 9 December 2011

The Explorer Hotel is one of the top hotels in the City. It is often busy and can be quite expensive ($165/night for a conference rate). It is a short walk from downtown. The hotel is well-maintained and comfortable -- and is as standard as they come. Do not expect any northern frills or exceptional elements. The restaurant is okay, but less than compelling The rooms are comfortable, clean and spacious. The Internet worked poorly, however, and was a huge inconvenience. There was a decent business centre, however, where the Internet was more reliable.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Ken C
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Great hospitality! Room was great and well cleaned. Two little irritants,
It was very warm and you can't turn down the thermostat or open the window. Also, the plumbing needs a bit of work. Very noisy when water being used in the next room. Service and food was very good. Enjoyed the lounge a couple of times. Will book again if I go back to Yellowknife.

• Stayed: November 2011