“Pleasantly Surprised!!!”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Vancouver, BC
“Pleasantly Surprised!!!”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I spent an unexpected night at this hotel on April 2, 2013 due to a cancelled flight. I knew that my son's company, Simpson Air, uses this hotel when they are in Yellowknife. From the moment I checked in the staff were extremely courteous and helpful. I was given a room on the 8th floor with a nice view of the city. The room looked recently updated and had a comfortable king-size bed with a duvet and lots of pillows, brand new drapes and a pleasant decor. The bathroom was basic but had everything I needed. The TV was an old box TV but it had a good picture and a decent selection of satellite channels. I had dinner in the restaurant, Traders Grill, and it was excellent! The special was Rack of Lamb with Scalloped Potatoes (I was told the chef's name was Hugh) and I couldn't have asked for better in any cosmopolitan city in the world. It was perfectly cooked, medium rare as I had asked for.There was a lovely circular fireplace for atmosphere. The front desk was extremely helpful with shopping directions, calling taxies and organizing wake-up calls. Things in the North can sometimes be rough and ready but not this hotel. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I would suggest a room on a higher floor with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Good evening northvan05,

Thank you for your recent visit and great review. I am pleased to hear that we made your unexpected visit, an enjoyable and memorable one. I will be sure to pass along your praise to Hugh in the kitchen, for your dining experience. Some times our back of house staff don't get the recognition they deserve, so this is nice. We look forward to that next visit, perhaps under better circumstances.

Jamie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2013

This was a great hotel. The room was nice, clean and roomy with comfy chairs. They had nice black out curtains since we were sleeping in after our aurora viewing trips. My only complaint was they don't have movies for purchase in the rooms. Since we were spending so much time in our room I wish we could have rented a movie. We did a lot of research and this was listed as the best hotel in Yellowknife. The Trapline Lounge in the hotel had great food. It was also a great location, close to a Shoppers Drug Mart and grocery store, as well as a KFC and Boston Pizza, there were other restaurants and shopping near by. The info center is within walking distance too.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lake, back of the hotel. It was a nice view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2013
Good afternoon Amanda S,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit and review. We appreciate your feedback and the detail you provided. We look forward to your next visit.

Have a great weekend!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We stayed at the Explorer March 22-23, 2013. The Hotel sent a courtesy bus for us at the airport. The staff were polite and helpful. Our room was clean and WARM. We accidentally left an expensive item of clothing at the hotel. When we returned for another night's stay on March 29, 2013, the item was at the reception desk.
We were able to see the aurora from our hotel room. One does not need a room on a specific side, as the aurora is visible from all directions that far north.
The staff were able to give us good directions to a store we wanted to visit in town.

Room Tip: If you are looking for the aurora - any room is good, although one can never tell on what side it wi...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Thank you K H for your visit and great review! I am glad we were able to re-connect you with your missing clothing item. I will be sure to pass along your praise to the staff that handled it for you. We look forward to seeing you again.

Merrickville
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stay at the Explorer frequently and am always pleased and comfortable. The staff are helpful and friendly, the rooms are clean and comfortable and the food is wonderful! With a direct and timely shuttle to the airport and close to everything the location is very convenient.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Good afternoon Katherine W,

Thank you for your visit and review. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to seeing you again!

Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Due to unforeseen circumstances, i stayed for two nights at this business hotel. The room was next to the elevator, which was annoying late at night. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable but there was an old style tv with bad reception and few channels. The bathroom had original tile and tub. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out how the shower faucet worked and the tub felt dirty. The ceiling above the shower had water stains. The room service menu was pricey. Walking down the hill is an adventure esp. in the winter, kinda dangerous.

Room Tip: even room numbers face the city and odd numbers face niven lake/old town. Room numbers ending with 8...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Good morning Northerntraveler_11,

Thank you for your visit and review. I do apologize you were not happy with the location of your room. As I have stated previously, we are in the process of changing out our guest room televisions. I am also please to point out that our guest room washrooms will be renovated also, as we are currently working on a few model rooms. I do hope you get a chance to experience the new features the next time you are in Yellowknife!

Happy Easter,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Had the pleasure of staying at this Hotel for a second time, quite a change from the first time I visited in January 2004, The lobby with the giant Polar Bear is quite impressive and has a very elegant look. My room on the 8th floor was well appointed and clean and it over looked Frame Lake, loved the bathrobe. The Front desk staff was very helpful providing me with information I needed to find my way around Yellowknife. Food and Service was excellent. As a single female traveller I felt very safe and well taken care off in the Hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: ask for a room high up.....7th or 8th floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear MD1970154193,

I trust and hope you had a great Easter! I would like to thank you for your visit and review. We appreciate your feedback. Yes the new addition to our lobby, the Polar Bear has been a huge hit for us and he certainly is not camera shy. I will be sure to share your feedback with our team, as they work hard to leave a positive impression.

Thank you again and I hope you visit again soon!

Tampa, FL
Reviewed 22 March 2013

This is a nice hotel to stay in if you are visiting Yellowknife. No, it is not the Ritz Carlton, but the beds are comfortable, the rooms clean and during our stay it was very quiet. We requested a room far away from the elevator, which helped a lot with noise. Front desk was very helpful, even calling a tour for us when there was a mix up. There are two restaurants in the hotel, both expensive, but so is every other restaurant in Yellowknife. If you are in a pinch and don't want to go out in the cold, it's nice to have the restaurants downstairs (and room service). If I come back to Yellowknife I would definitely stay here. It is in a good central location and you can walk to other restaurants/the museum, etc.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linzpoo
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Thank you Linzpoo, for your visit and review. We appreciate your comments and are thrilled you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to hosting you on your next visit to Yellowknife.

Have a great weekend!