“Stunning views”
Review of Explorer Hotel

Explorer Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Our tour package included three nights stay at the Explorer Hotel and the hotel organises free transfers from the hotel for guests. Our room had an amazing view of the beautiful winter wonderland that was Yellowknife with a perfect east view of the sunrise.

Given our main focus was on Aurora viewing at night time, the black out curtains were great and helped your sleep the next morning after getting home at 2.30am! The restaurant was great but you do need to book or your won't get a seat! very close proximity to town, grocers, drug store and other restaurants which was handy - as well as a nice close stroll to the visitor centre and heritage centre.

Our only issue was that we were double charged for our food bill after we had left the hotel and ended up having to file a dispute transaction with our bank as the hotel didn't get back to us with an answer. But like I said this was the only hiccup and we would recommend this hotel to everyone intending on staying in Yellowknife.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear Kat_Leah
We always enjoy reading and receiving feedback from our guests and we want to thank you for taking the time to provide comments on your recent stay. We are very sorry regarding the double charge at our Restaurant. Please contact me at gm@explorerhotel.ca to solve the hiccup.

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the Explorer Hotel in the near future.

Regards

Karl H. Schaefers

Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

After a week or so in some of the more grubby hotels of Nunavut hamlets this hotel is a welcome change. Nice big rooms will all modern amenities. The restaurant is quite good and the service friendly. Try to get a room on a higher floor - a bit quieter.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear jamesmorton,

thank you for staying with us at the Explorer Hotel. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your review . We look forward to welcoming you back to the Explorer Hotel in the near future.

Regards

The Explorer Team

Reviewed 14 April 2013

I spent an unexpected night at this hotel on April 2, 2013 due to a cancelled flight. I knew that my son's company, Simpson Air, uses this hotel when they are in Yellowknife. From the moment I checked in the staff were extremely courteous and helpful. I was given a room on the 8th floor with a nice view of the city. The room looked recently updated and had a comfortable king-size bed with a duvet and lots of pillows, brand new drapes and a pleasant decor. The bathroom was basic but had everything I needed. The TV was an old box TV but it had a good picture and a decent selection of satellite channels. I had dinner in the restaurant, Traders Grill, and it was excellent! The special was Rack of Lamb with Scalloped Potatoes (I was told the chef's name was Hugh) and I couldn't have asked for better in any cosmopolitan city in the world. It was perfectly cooked, medium rare as I had asked for.There was a lovely circular fireplace for atmosphere. The front desk was extremely helpful with shopping directions, calling taxies and organizing wake-up calls. Things in the North can sometimes be rough and ready but not this hotel. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I would suggest a room on a higher floor with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Good evening northvan05,

Thank you for your recent visit and great review. I am pleased to hear that we made your unexpected visit, an enjoyable and memorable one. I will be sure to pass along your praise to Hugh in the kitchen, for your dining experience. Some times our back of house staff don't get the recognition they deserve, so this is nice. We look forward to that next visit, perhaps under better circumstances.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

This was a great hotel. The room was nice, clean and roomy with comfy chairs. They had nice black out curtains since we were sleeping in after our aurora viewing trips. My only complaint was they don't have movies for purchase in the rooms. Since we were spending so much time in our room I wish we could have rented a movie. We did a lot of research and this was listed as the best hotel in Yellowknife. The Trapline Lounge in the hotel had great food. It was also a great location, close to a Shoppers Drug Mart and grocery store, as well as a KFC and Boston Pizza, there were other restaurants and shopping near by. The info center is within walking distance too.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lake, back of the hotel. It was a nice view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2013

Good afternoon Amanda S,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit and review. We appreciate your feedback and the detail you provided. We look forward to your next visit.

Have a great weekend!

Reviewed 3 April 2013

We stayed at the Explorer March 22-23, 2013. The Hotel sent a courtesy bus for us at the airport. The staff were polite and helpful. Our room was clean and WARM. We accidentally left an expensive item of clothing at the hotel. When we returned for another night's stay on March 29, 2013, the item was at the reception desk.
We were able to see the aurora from our hotel room. One does not need a room on a specific side, as the aurora is visible from all directions that far north.
The staff were able to give us good directions to a store we wanted to visit in town.

Room Tip: If you are looking for the aurora - any room is good, although one can never tell on what side it wi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Thank you K H for your visit and great review! I am glad we were able to re-connect you with your missing clothing item. I will be sure to pass along your praise to the staff that handled it for you. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stay at the Explorer frequently and am always pleased and comfortable. The staff are helpful and friendly, the rooms are clean and comfortable and the food is wonderful! With a direct and timely shuttle to the airport and close to everything the location is very convenient.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

Good afternoon Katherine W,

Thank you for your visit and review. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 28 March 2013

Due to unforeseen circumstances, i stayed for two nights at this business hotel. The room was next to the elevator, which was annoying late at night. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable but there was an old style tv with bad reception and few channels. The bathroom had original tile and tub. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out how the shower faucet worked and the tub felt dirty. The ceiling above the shower had water stains. The room service menu was pricey. Walking down the hill is an adventure esp. in the winter, kinda dangerous.

Room Tip: even room numbers face the city and odd numbers face niven lake/old town. Room numbers ending with 8...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2013

Good morning Northerntraveler_11,

Thank you for your visit and review. I do apologize you were not happy with the location of your room. As I have stated previously, we are in the process of changing out our guest room televisions. I am also please to point out that our guest room washrooms will be renovated also, as we are currently working on a few model rooms. I do hope you get a chance to experience the new features the next time you are in Yellowknife!

Happy Easter,