“Peaceful spot”
Review of Explorer Hotel

Explorer Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Without doubt if you are staying at Yellowknife, this is going to be your best option. Lots of mining related people were checking in and out while we were there, and I'm sure with their regular visits here they would have worked out if there was someone else better! The rooms themselves were nice, though I do recommend making sure you are away from the lifts. Our first room had the constant whirring sound of lifts being hoisted up and down, but as soon as we raised this with reception, they gave us a new room which was perfectly quiet.

The town itself is pretty basic so the nice hotel was quite a contrast. The food in the restaurant had its moments, with the beef ravioli being a highlight, but overall this is in a place you would come to for a culinary experience. The rooms were clean, service was good and friendly, and there was ample parking. Recommended.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

I would like to thank you for your recent visit and review. We certainly appreciate your comments and praise. We look forward to seeing you again sometime!
Regards

Reviewed 10 October 2013

When I'm traveling. I prefer to stay at the explorer hotel, nice accommodation and the rooms are great and clean, overall I didn't like the old tube television which was a bummer because we couldn't see much of anything, but I do like to come back and to look forward to seeing the upgraded on television.

• Stayed: August 2013
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. It sounds like you had a great stay and we look forward to your next visit, new 42 " TV's will be here. Until next time,

Reviewed 19 September 2013

After spending two nights at the Days Inn, this was a welcome change. The beds are pillow top and VERY comfortable. The pillows are fat and soft. My only complaints are, I had the smallest room on the floor - stay away from the rooms ending in 10 - they are TINY. I felt ripped off by this.

I found garbage between the chair and the wall (not behind the chair, to the side where it was angled into a corner). Not impressed with that and it drops my cleanliness rating by one because otherwise the room was clean. The bathroom has a great shower - lots of water and a nice shower head that gives a great spray. Towels are fat and rough - just how I love them.

Rooms are quiet. Can't hear a thing from other rooms, however the self closing doors are LOUD and you can hear everyone on the floor close their doors.

Room service was horrible. I ordered the chicken skeweres. They were NOTHING like described - no pineapple, no red onion. The chicken was underdone and I felt ill after.

Friendly staff and a nice lounge.

I can't comment on value as I wasn't paying so have no idea what the room cost.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms ending in 10. They are TINY! Look at the map on the back of the room door...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you very much for your comments. It is always nice to hear nice reviews from our guests regarding our staff! We are very sorry however, to hear that we did not meet your expectations concerning the Chicken Skewers . The pineapple and red onions are together in a homemade Pickle Relish.

We hope your travels bring you back to Yellowknife again. Until then, Karl H Schaefers

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Very comfortable, well located and a good restaurant and bar. The Restaurant has an interesting layout, with two decks and an open fire (the fire is gas so it isn't full of smoke, but they ought to hide the gas pipe better to make it look more authentic) On the menu is clam chowder, Musk Ox and Arctic Char. All delicious and well served by friendly staff. Nice bar, cosy and relaxed but only 1 member of staff during 'Happy Hour' and she was barmaid and waitress, is that deliberate? Waiting to get served was very frustrating. Rooms are very comfortable and there is plenty of car parking.

Room Tip: Good views on higher floors, but the back view is better.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Customer, we are thrilled to hear that you had a great time while visiting Yellowknife. It was apleasure accomodating you and we will share your comments with Angela in regards to the bar service.
Greetings from Yellowknife

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel during a business trip and definitely can only say good things about this hotel. The check-in was fast and all the staff including cleaners were all very friendly. The room was clean and in good shape, and I didn't hear a sound from neighbouring rooms which is usually my biggest problem in other hotels, but here it was no problem at all. The restaurant that belongs to the hotel is also really good, and they have a nice breakfast menu. I would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: I can definitely recommend the top floor, it was as quiet as it gets.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Thank you! We were absolutely delighted to read your review of your stay at the Explorer Hotel. We take pride in our hotel and we're happy you enjoyed every aspect of your visit with us.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Until next time,

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I recently visited Yellowknife for a conference and we were booked into this hotel. Everything was great. Very quick check in and staff were quite friendly. I had a beautiful view from my room. Beds were incredibly comfortable and the room was spacious. Nice touch with the chocolate on my pillow the first night too. We had a very nice breakfast buffet each day and had dinner in the restaurant one evening that was very good. Staff easily managed our group of 50. Internet access was reliable and included with the room. Easy walking into town and lots of trails nearby to explore.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Until then,

Reviewed 3 September 2013

My first trip to Yellowknife, and this hotel is well located, has a good restaurant, and is very pleasant. The room was good, spacious, and had a good internet service included. Everything a business hotel should be. It isn't modern, and the windows are a bit small, but has been nicely maintained and can be recommended for any stays in the city

Room Tip: They offer smoking and non-smoking. Mine was the latter
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for staying with us at the Explorer Hotel during your visit to Yellowknife. We take pride in our hospitality and we're delighted you enjoyed all the services offered on property.
We look forward to seeing you again.
Until then