“An Excellent Hotel in Yellowknife”
Review of Explorer Hotel

Explorer Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Spent two night at the Explorer this past weekend and was very impressed with the service and the quality of the hotel. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful and the service in the restaurants was efficient and helpful. Had a minor leak in the toilet but was attended to immediately when I reported. The room was clean and actually fairly large. I had a great sleep - big comfortable bed and wonderful pillow (I am a pillow aficionado - I do a lot of hotel stays and if the pillow is not just right - I can't sleep!) which gave me two great sleeps! Location is convenient. The hotel is a little pricey (as is the food) but I felt that most things here are more than you would pay in the south. I would highly recommend the Explorer for any stay in Yellowknife and I will stay here again when I return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

We appreciate you writing a review on TripAdvisor. It sounds like you had an enjoyable stay at the Explorer Hotel . We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Until next time,

Karl H. Schaefers

Reviewed 3 December 2013

The Explorer is my #1 choice for hotels in Yellowknife. It's conveniently located for my work, it's comfortable, clean, and quiet. I've always found the staff to be very helpful, and the hotel restaurant is quite good, with reasonable prices (for Yellowknife). Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The hotel is aligned roughly NW-SE. For a better chance of seeing the Northern Lights from your room...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Thank you for writing a review and for sharing your comments with us. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your visit at the Explorer Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again. Best wishes, Karl H. Schaefers

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I was originally going to rate this hotel a 5 until I took my shower.

Let's start with the good points:
-excellent location
-quite well maintained considered it is in a small town
-probably the best in town as Prince William stayed there when he was in Yellowknife
-excellent location
-free shuttle service from airport to hotel
-the bathroom provided shower cap, shoe shine kit and vanity kit in addition to the basic shampoo and lotion. Most hotels don't provide any of the extras except for the basic shampoo and lotion.
-there was a sign that says the duvet cover gets changed every time which made me felt very comfortable because most hotels don't change their bed cover and they don't get cleaned very often.

I deducted 2 stars for the main reason that the shower temperature was inconsistent. It gets really hot or really cold. The water got so hot a few times that I have to jump out of the tub to avoid getting burned. I think it is because of poor plumbing and when other guests flush the toilet or use water, it changes the temperature of the water. I complained to the front desk and the manager came and look at it. There was nothing done and we both know that nothing can be done.

Finally, the ice machine is only in the lobby. There is no ice machine on each floor and there is no fridge in the room. It is quite inconvenient.

Room Tip: Ice machine is only in the lobby. Don't stay in a room that ends in "10" as it is sig...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Blythediva

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We're happy to hear you enjoyed our location in downtown Yellowknife our spacious guestrooms and friendly staff.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Kind regards,

Karl H. Schaefers

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Nice, comfortable, clean hotel but very expensive. The hotel staff was friendly and knowledgeable (for the most part). Food in the restaurant is really good but overpriced for what it is.
A plus is the hotel is eco friendly and does recycle.
Walking distance to restaurants, drug store, grocery store and even tourist places such as old town. The hotel is very, very dry (was here in November) and the hotel does not have any humidifiers if you need one.
Only sad (and disturbing) thing was there is a beautiful (but dead) polar bear in the front lobby. If you are a person who loves/respects animals – don’t stay at this hotel. Not nice to see life taken away from a beautiful (and threatened) animal just to sit in an expensive hotel lobby. I heard a few comments in reference to this from some patrons. Very, very sad to see.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We're happy to hear you enjoyed our location in downtown Yellowknife, spacious guestrooms and friendly staff. We hope to welcome you back. regards Karl H. Schaefers

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel is a definitely dated, but they are in the process of renovating. They offer excellent service given the outdated nature of the rooms and bathrooms. The beds were extremely comfortable. They also offer free wi-fi.
Room service was GREAT!
The hotel location is perfect for downtown Yellowknife.
The fine-dining restaurant in the hotel is pricey, but very nice for a special occasion.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. The views are beautiful (especially if it snows).
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It sounds like you enjoyed your time at the Explorer Hotel. We're happy you enjoyed our location, on-site amenities and spacious guestrooms. We hope to welcome you back again soon, whether traveling for business or leisure. Kind regards, Karl H. Schaefers

Reviewed 13 November 2013

the time i booked the hotel, i found that it's unusually expensive as a hotel in a small city like yellowknife. when i reached there, i realized that everything was expensive in northwest territories due to the location n the small population.

friendly n efficient service, good size room with a view, nice beddings and pillows, a real 5-star hotel in a small city.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you for writing a review and staying with us at the Explorer Hotel in Yellowknife. We're happy you enjoyed all the amenities on property and our proximity to everything in our small town. We hope your travels bring you back to the Yellowknife area again. Until then, Karl H Schaefers

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I think we chose the one week of really bad weather YK got all summer. We arrived on our motorcycles soaking wet, cold and miserable and all we wanted was a hot shower. We did not realize just how expensive this place was. Even the hamburger, while good, thinned my wallet.
The room was top notch with many nice touches but my friend and I moved to another hotel just because of the cost. Front desk service was very good while registering and when asking for general info. Bear in mind that most items in YK cost more than south of 60. I'm sure you have got the message. This is not a place to get a bargain but for quality I do recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you for staying with us at the Explorer Hotel. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your review . We look forward to welcoming you back to the Explorer Hotel in the near future. Regards The Explorer Team