“Has what you need”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
ontario
“Has what you need”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This hotel, atop a small hill, is about a block from town centre where you can find many restaurants and shops. The clean rooms are spacious and updated but the bathrooms are tiny and not so updated. There is good wifi connection. The tv in my room was old and the picture quality was lacking (orangy and couldn't be fixed by adjusting the contrast, etc). There is a small bar off the main lobby that offers some munchies along with a variety of drink options. There is also a good restaurant. If you are in a rush, you should allow time as the service, while friendly, is a a bit slow at breakfast (I've eaten here for breakfast several times and the service is generally slower at this time). The front desk staff is friendly and efficient. There is a shuttle to/from the airport and timed for flight arrivals/departures. It's a good choice for a few nights.

Room Tip: Rooms at back face lake (in the distance) and quieter as away from the front entrance/parking lot. F...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you! We were absolutely delighted to read your review of your stay at the Explorer Hotel. We take pride in our hotel and we're happy you enjoyed every aspect of your visit with us. We very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Until next time, Karl H Schaefers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed here while in town on business for 4 nights. I found the hotel to be quite nice. The room was a good size and very clean. The bathroom was a little small, but as it was just me this was not a problem. There was also a red heat lamp on the ceiling in the bathroom that was on a timer which was… interesting.

The service in the hotel was very nice and they were all informative and polite. I had room service on evening for dinner and the meal was quite good. The lobby is well decorated and has couches to sit on if you are waiting.

My only complaint would be that the room was quite hot and I could not open the windows (which I do understand as it is a colder climate) so I did have to request a fan. They brought me one very quickly and I had no other issues in the hotel.

I would recommend staying here if you are in the area. It has a great central location and was within walking distance to many locations in the downtown core.

Room Tip: I was on the 8th floor which was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Explorer Hotel. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your review . We look forward to welcoming you back to the Explorer Hotel in the near future. Regards Karl H Schaefers
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Ok, to be fair Yellowknife is not close to anything. So finding a fine Hotel is no easy task. The Explorer fails to meet that task. Plus: Good location, great view, good restaurant, stuffed polar bear in lobby. Negatives: Bizarre, badly decorated, dingy room and bath. Air conditioning barely worked at best, the windows do not open. Furniture placed in the strangest positions, armoire blocking entrance to the room, TV (tiny) on a small corner table, not easily viewed from bed. Very old worn carpeting. You have to go down to the lobby to get ice, which is often clogged with vast numbers of tour bus patrons. (I was told that there is floor of renovated rooms, but only air crews and long term business guests are given those). The power went out every afternoon, the front desk did not seem to see this as an inconvenience. The parking was very limited when we were there, because they were setting up an event tent for almost an entire week in the upper parking lot. Yellowknife and the surrounding area were beautiful, interesting and very welcoming, to bad the same cannot be said for the Explorer Hotel.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SeascapeScott
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay. We're disappointed to hear that we didn't meet your expectations. We would like the opportunity to speak with you directly and I encourage you to contact me directly to discuss at gm@explorerhotel.ca. Kind regards,
Karl H Schaefers
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed here for 1 night in late October and found the hotel to be very nice.

I had a large, well appointed room – very clean – which overlooked the lake at the back of the hotel. The hotel staff was friendly and very helpful during my stay.
I did not have time to eat at the hotel, but would like to have done so.
I used the shuttle bus to get to the hotel. It runs from the airport to the hotel on a regular basis.

Points of interest:
1) There is a stuffed Polar Bear in the lobby area; and
2) I did get to see the northern lights from my room window at 03h00.

Other information: The hotel is about 5mins walk from the downtown core and there is an open late supermarket nearby (5 to 10 mins walk) where one can purchase snacks and water/fruit juices, etc.

I would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel face onto a lake.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
We appreciate you writing a review on TripAdvisor. It sounds like you had an enjoyable stay at the Explorer Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Until next time, Karl H Schaefers
Alberta
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed only one night at the Explorer hotel and were very satisfied. The lobby is very nice, loved the northern touches in the decor! The rooms were clean and well kept however they do show their age and it is time for refreshing, especially the bathroom (ceiling paint had condensation spots and dark marks all over and tile grout was stained dark brown). The beds were very comfortable with modern white bedding. We tried the room service from traders grill, it was tasty but expensive ($68 for a burger, a clubhouse, a bowl of soup and 2 pop). Overall our experience was good, I would recommended this hotel but also hope they undertake some improvements soon.

• Stayed December 2013
We're happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us as we're always looking at ways to improve our guests' experiences . Our guest room renovations will start very soon. We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Until then, Karl H. Schaefers
Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This is a great hotel in Yellowknife if you are wanting to be close to downtown and like to stay somewhere that is a little glitzy.

It is very nice looking hotel and the staff have always been great while we have been there. The restaurant is nice and the food is great. There is decent gym and it is in walking distance to downtown attractions.

My only complaint is that the pillows are big - I'm obviously in the minority or I'm sure they would have different pillows but I fond them really high and it made it really uncomfortable to sleep. I ended up using a bunched up towel the first night and called in the morning to see if they had any flatter options. Nope, so slept on a towel the other nights too. Next time I'll bring my own pillow.

Other than the pillow issue I have no complaints - very nice hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Alberta
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Spent two night at the Explorer this past weekend and was very impressed with the service and the quality of the hotel. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful and the service in the restaurants was efficient and helpful. Had a minor leak in the toilet but was attended to immediately when I reported. The room was clean and actually fairly large. I had a great sleep - big comfortable bed and wonderful pillow (I am a pillow aficionado - I do a lot of hotel stays and if the pillow is not just right - I can't sleep!) which gave me two great sleeps! Location is convenient. The hotel is a little pricey (as is the food) but I felt that most things here are more than you would pay in the south. I would highly recommend the Explorer for any stay in Yellowknife and I will stay here again when I return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
We appreciate you writing a review on TripAdvisor. It sounds like you had an enjoyable stay at the Explorer Hotel . We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Until next time,