“Renovation improve the historical property”

Quality Inn & Suites Yellowknife
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Fayetteville, Georgia
“Renovation improve the historical property”
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I was at the Yellowknife Inn in November and was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. From the street or mall entrance the hotel presents well and the staff was very quick on the check-in. As I was walking around the hotel I could tell it was much older than the current appearance and was glad renovations had been made to keep it nice.
I was on the third floor over looking the government buildings and several restaurants. The hotel is attached to one mall and across the street from another so there is plenty of shopping, salons, and food available. The government buildings looked to be a 5 minute walk from the hotel. The hotel has an agreement with a local gym for work out facilities which would be good for a longer stay.
My room was fairly large, had been recently renovated with a nice bed, and there was new granite in the bath room. The heating system worked so well that I was glad there was a window I could open to get some fresh air.
As I was taking the stairs from my room I ran into some renovations on the second floor but I was there until midday and never heard a sound from the work.
Overall I was very happy with the stay and will stay there again when I am in Yellowknife.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelerDavidfromGA
ykinnmanager, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Yellowknife, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Dear Traveler,

I just wanted to thank you for your review. Yes the building is one of history in fact part of the property use to be the Legislative building for Yellowknife many years ago. We take pride in the product that we have and are happy to see that your stay was a pleasurable one.
When ever you are back this way do let me know and I will see that your needs are taken care of.
Again thank you and safe travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2011

The internet kind of worked.. that was the only Positive... the restaurant is a greasy dump in the mall .. lazy slow service.. the check in and check out the computer was broken so I was never really registered and I got my receipt one week later after 3 phone calls. TV did not work the whole time I was there.. one nice security guy did try changing the batteries but it was useless as the system was broken. The room never did warm up but the heater was so noisy I did not sleep until I turned it down.. Staff had a bad attitude and there are much better in Yellowknife unfortunatley during a conference there are not enough rooms to be picky.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank jlhrox
Dear Traveler,
thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not what you had expected. we use these review to improve our service to our guests and I have made this know to the various department managers.
If you are ever back through Yellowknife please feel free to contact me directly and I will see that your needs are taken care of.
Thank You and and safe travels.

Travellers are raving about these Yellowknife hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Front desk staff should be polite, helpful, and above all welcoming. Clearly the guy who checked me in had left this box of tricks at home. After a very long series of flights I really was expecting more but probably shouldn't have. The rooms were pokey and stuffy, the restaurant was closed by 9, and the food was generally poor. I rather felt that I needed to wrap the tv remote in a plastic bag before I touched it. If you get what you pay for then I should have been paying less. It's livable enough for a couple of nights but don't by any means expect any frills, and don't expect the Canadian hospitality you find elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Yellowknife Inn is attached to a small mall and is in the downtown area. It has it's conveniences such as: you can stay indoors and walk to a restaurant for breakfast, pickup souveniers to bring home, indoor parking and you can book package trips to the see the Aurora Borealis like we did. The package was the main reason we booked ourselves into this inn.

When we arrived our rental snow boots, a parka, long mitts and winter pants were waiting for us in our room, as a part of the Aurora Viewing package. The room itself was very small, had a comfortable bed and was clean. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful as we always had questions to ask them.

Talking about packages, we also booking the dogsledding thru the hotel. Something we have never done but enjoyed and would do again.

It's not a fancy hotel but it does have all the basics.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Another_Excursion
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Bonus - Free shuttle to the airport. While the staff were friendly and the front lobby was modern and spacious, the same could not be said for the rooms. The room (on the fourth floor) had a very strange layout. Pictures on the website were misleading.There was not enough room between the bed and the entertainment unit to be able to pull a large hockey bag through without dinging something. One large suitcase had to be left in the bathroom, where there was a large closet area.

If you are staying over a weekend, be sure to ask if the lounge has a live band playing. If the answer is yes...either get some ear plugs or be prepared to be up till 2:00 A.M. On the Saturday night, around 9:30 the band started in the MacKenzie Lounge, four floors below...and it sounded like it was in the room's bathroom. It continued on and off till the wee hours. Not great when you have to work in the morning.

Food service in the McKenzie Lounge was average, but arrived cold. Suspect this had to do with the serving staff, who seemed more interested in chatting with each other and friends at the bar. Mall attached to the hotel is 50% vacant...and there are several panhandlers and intoxicated people in the mall and surrounding area. The parking lot behind the hotel is a hot spot for this crowd. I had a man (not a hotel guest) attempt to follow me to my room from the lobby. Good thing the security guard in the lobby (yes there is one on duty in the lobby - 24/7...what's this say to you.) saw what was happening and stopped him. A bit unnerving when you travel alone.

Will likely not stay here again if I can help it. There are other hotels and several B&B in the city.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Yellowknife itself is a really quiet town. We went up to see the Aurora Borealis and this seemed to be the best option. While it was central, there is no free parking - you have to park at a meter. We had a car but didn't use it much and you really don't need one.

The hotel is right in the city center and the few restaurants (most of which were closed due to the holiday weekend) are near by.

The hotel is attached to a mall/shopping arcade (that was pretty sad) and the restaurant L'attitudes which was not that impressive (but it was open).

The rooms were a little small but seemed to have been renovated relatively recently. They also had free wifi which was nice!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Tammela, Finland
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Paper thin doors (one could hear everything from the corridors), not too friendly staff in reception, quite expensive (well, all hotels in the area are not too cheap...). Positive to have free transportation to the airport and ice machine in the corridor.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
ykinnmanager, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Yellowknife, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
Good afternoon,
I am sorry to hear that your stay was not what you had exspected with us. I am not to sure why you would have had an issue with your door as all our guest room doors are fire rated doors with an average thickness of just under two inches. Maybe it could have been someone outside your room in the hallway at the time however I can not say at this point. As for the unfriendly experiebce that you had with the Front Desk I have brough this to the attention of my Guest Services Manager to look into it further.
If you do choose to return to Yellowknife please do let me know and I would be happy to take care of you upon your next visit. It is out policy to do what we can to make our guest happy when they are away from home.

Thank You and happy travels in the future.