“Decent hotel - Good on the price”

Quality Inn & Suites Yellowknife
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Ottawa, Canada
“Decent hotel - Good on the price”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

It was my first time staying at Yellowknife Inn so I did not know what to expect. I was asked to stay at Yellowknife Inn because my boss was staying there and closer to my client site.
I arrived at the hotel at around 5pm to checkin. The process was ok, I was assigned a room on the second floor. Since I like higher floor, so I asked for a higher floor, but I was told that all the rooms are occupied already. Then I realized they charged me the wrong room rate. 5 minutes later, they corrected the room rate and to the room I go.
Slided the card in and opened the door, to my surprise, the room was a mess. It seems that someone forgot to clean the room. Of course, I should have known since the “Do Not Disturb” sign was still hanging on the door knob.
So back to the front desk, I mentioned to the front desk and told them that the room was not made and it’s still dirty. The front desk person was courteous but did not offer me any apology which I found it is really strange given that the room was dirty, and they should not have given me the room in the first place. The manager at that shift was there and awared of the situation (the front desk person spoke to him) but didn’t come out to apologize, that’s really strange. When I was talking about apology, all I was expecting “Sorry”, nothing else. Given that I was told all rooms are occupied already, I worried that I may not have a room that night. But to my surprise, a higher floor room was suddenly available. Good for me.
I finally got to my room. The room was decent, the bathroom was well-appointed, the bed was clean and comfortable. My room has an office table, and it also has a round table.
Though the hotel was renovated, it seems that it is already showing its age. The most annoying thing was the gap between the door and the floor, I didn’t feel there was much privacy. Otherwise, for a $159 ($179 regular rate) a night in Yellowknife, it is not bad.
If you go to the gym, the best part of staying in Yellowknife Inn is the access to the Break Away Fitness a block away which is a full service fitness facility.
In summary, the hotel is right in the middle of downtown, a block or two from restaurants, grocery stores, and retail. It is certainly convenient. Great fitness facility in partnership with Break Away. Room is decent.

Room Tip: Get a high floor, and as far away from the stairs and elevator as possible. Preferable the extreme...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ImpulseTraveler
Scott S, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Yellowknife, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Hi There

Thank you for taking the time to write a hotel review and thank you for staying at The Yellowknife Inn. My apologies for your less than perfect experience with our Front Desk. We had a number of new Associates start in the department during the month of January. These new associates are still with us today and I am proud to say that they are excelling at their positions.

We are planning several upgrades in the near future including new flat screen tv's and improvements to both our restaurant and lounge areas.

Once again, thank you for staying at The Yellowknife Inn. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 January 2014

This hotel is in need of a major refresher. Heating was not working properly, could not make calls out, printers in the business centre were not working... Front desk staff try to be helpful and friendly but the hotel is not in good repair. Would never stay here again despite central location.

Room Tip: Make sure your heating works... felt chilled the entire time I was there.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pierre S
Scott S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Yellowknife, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Hello

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at The Yellowknife Inn. I am sorry to hear that your stay did not go as planned. Over the last few weeks, we have been performing upgrades and repairs to our heating systems. I was told by the contractor doing the work that the work would not effect our in house guests. It would appear that was not the case. My apologies.

I would also like to apologize about the lack of toner in the business centre. Yellowknife is limited in the number of suppliers that carry and sell computer equipment and accessories. Unfortunately our brand of toner cartridge is currently on back order with our supplier. We are hoping to have these cartridges soon.

I am hoping that we will have the opportunity to have you stay with us again. I can be reached at scottsmicer@yellowknifeinn.com if you wish to speak further about your recent stay.

Have a great day.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Rooms are good, beds excellent. Convenient in the centre of town, connected to a shopping centre which includes the place where you need to go for breakfast and a little coffee shop (great for those hot chocolates after a cold afternoon out!). The cleaning staff forgot to give us a new little bottle of shampoo a couple of times, but apart from that the cleaning was good.

Excellent fast, free wifi included!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello

Thank you for your positive comment about your recent stay at The Yellowknife Inn. I apologize for the lack of amenities in your hotel room. We have recently recruited and hired a new Executive Housekeeper. She is currently working on eliminating the small deficiencies in our Housekeeping Department. She has been an excellent addition to the management team at the hotel.

Once again, thank you for the positive feedback. We hope that you choose The Yellowknife Inn for future stays in Yellowknife. Have a great day.

Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Friendly and helpful staff, and a central location - close to a grocery store, lots of restaurants, and accessible to the tours to see the lights. I initially had some issues with parking, but they went far out of their way to resolve my problems. The ladies at the front desk were awesome - really friendly and nice, even though the weather was -40 degrees. I commend them for it!

Room was nice. Big bed, warm, with all the amenities I needed, including a great little coffee shop by the lobby. Yellowknife isn't a big city, so you can't expect metropolitan conveniences, but this came as close as could be expected.

I'd definitely stay here again. Recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Hello

Thank you for the great review. I am happy to hear that we were able to resolve your parking issues in a timely manner and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind and positive comments will be shared with all Associates of The Yellowknife.

We look forward to seeing you again. Have a great day.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 November 2013

My wife and I went to Yellowknife to visit and found a great place to return too . We were unsure where to stay but took a chance on the Yellowknife Inn . From the first day to the last the Staff were always friendly and helpful. Our room comfortable and always clean and upgraded to a standard more than acceptable.. We had rented a car (ask for underground parking) but were able to walk from the hotel to many interesting spots and great restaurants close by. I rated it average but really if looking for a good place central to downtown and friendly staff this a great choice.

Room Tip: king rooms(suite) large with huge bathrooms
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Advisorpicky
Hello

Thank you for the positive review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am especially happy to hear that you enjoyed your clean and comfortable hotel room and had a positive experience with our customer focused Associates.

I am hoping that you will choose The Yellowknife Inn during your next stay in Yellowknife. Once again, thank you for the great review.

Have an excellent day.

Morrisburg, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I did not have high expectations for this hotel stay based on my research of the place before my stay: there is no fitness facility on-site and no restaurant on-site. Because my usual hotels were booked solid I thought I'd give the Yellowknife Inn a try anyway. Well I'm glad I did!

- the room I was booked into was somewhat small, but it was clean, well-appointed, had better quality toiletries than in other YK hotels, and the room appeared to have been recently renovated. - The main issues I had with my hotel room were: 1) there was that there was not rack to place my suitcase on to unpack my suitcase (I never use the bed), and 2) there was only 1 extra door lock - not two.
- I was unhappy to hear that there was no on-site gym but was permitted access to the fitness club a block away... one that I had been meaning to try anyway. A bit of an inconvenience though to have to get dressed for outdoors mid-week.
- The restaurant was not in the hotel but across the mall from the hotel - a bit weird but okay. It was nice that the restaurant was open early for breakfast, though.
- (PLUS) The wireless internet was reliable and easy to access, something that another YK hotel has difficulties with.
The best thing I found about this hotel was my check-in experience. The staff person was friendly and professional and assured me that if there were any problems to contact her right away. On the phone staff members were friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank dihnontourist
Hello

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review for our hotel. We appreciate both the positive and constuctive feedback. We would like to thank you for choosing the Yellowknife Inn for your hotel while in Yellowknife.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I recently spent the weekend at the Yellowknife in with my mother. We had a lovely four night stay.

There is a free shuttle from the airport right to the steps of the hotel. The front desk staff were helpful with providing directions and suggestions for activities in town despite it being the 'off' season.

For anyone not wanting to take a tour, there is a good spot to see the Northern Lights near the car park of the Explorer Hotel on the edge of town. We found this easy to walk to from the Yellowknife Inn and we saw the lights easily.

The room was comfortable and the bathroom was a reasonable size, lots of television channels to keep you busy while waiting for the lights to come out.

Overall a great place to stay near lots of things to do, easy to walk to Old Town or out to dinner from.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AusGirl2222
Hello

Thank you for the wonderful review. It sounds like you had an enjoyable stay while in Yellowknife. If there is anything that we can do to help plan you next visit to Yellowknife, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are hoping to see you again in the future.

Have a great day, and once again, thank you for staying at The Yellowknife Inn.