“Excellent Location”

Quality Inn & Suites Yellowknife
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I have stayed at the Yellowknife Inn several time and have experienced good service by the staff who have always been friendly. The rooms are always clean and quiet. I enjoy the central location that allows me to walk to any meetings I may have and also to several restaurants and attractions that may be taking place in the city. I also enjoy that when the weather is bad, there are several food options and shopping right in the building and I don't have to go out to get what I need. I have had a few rooms that the hair dryer was not working or missing towels, however the staff was very prompt at getting me another room or any additional items that may have been missed. The hotel is good value for the money and would recommend if you want a central location while in Yellowknife.

Room Tip: There isn't a pool or fitness centre at this hotel, however they do have a conference centre. I...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Scott S, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Yellowknife, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Hello

Thank you for the great review. We appreciate your continued support.

We at The Yellowknife Inn take pride in providing excellent customer service. I will pass on your positive comments to all of our Associates here at The Yellowknife Inn.

Have an excellent day.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

A friend who had stayed there a month or so before me that his room never really got warm. He was there during a cold snap, which in Canada's coldest city would make it very cold indeed. So I am there in mid January in normally cold weather (-25 to -35C), needing to be in my room to get some work done, and I had the same experience. The thermostat didn't seem responsive. Otherwise, the smallish room was adequate. The bed was comfortable. The TV was of older vintage, and the lighting was frugal. I found myself regretting that I had not returned to the Explorer, which for the same rates is for a variety of reasons (fitness room, excellent restaurant, warmer rooms) a cut above.

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I would like to let you know that we will be performing a number of upgrades to our property that include new Flat Screen TV's in all of our rooms.

At the time of your stay, we were conducting yearly maintenance/upgrades on our boiler system. The contractor that was doing the work assured us here at the hotel that this would not effect our in house guests.

I would love the opportunity to speak with you about your stay and would love to have you stay with us again. Please feel free to contact me at 867 873 2601 ext 7282.

Have a great day.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed two nights on a business trip at this hotel. I'd previously stayed at Coast Fraser and Days Inn, but given the recent weather I decided this time to stay in the hotel where my meetings were taking place. The location of the hotel is its main benefit - it's central and within close walking distance to most facilities/shops in Yellowknife. As noted previously there is a restaurant, but its in the mall adjoining the hotel, as well as a lounge further down the mall that is open later.
Plusses: Clean, comfortable bed, quiet, convenient location (for my work), internet when working functioned speedily. Convenient shuttle to/from airport (other hotels in Yellowknife have this as well)
Minuses: Although not the fault of the staff or management, this hotel still has a generally dreary feeling to it. Heating was low in the room first night, making for a chilly experience. This was corrected on the second night; hotel showing signs of age, worn down needs more renovation; toilet flushing problematic but this may be a city wide problem. No fitness room within the hotel but there is complimentary use of Breakaway Fitness Centre just across the street (note: bring clean running shoes). I ate dinner in the lounge and it wasn't the best steak I'd ever had (I had to send it back to have it cooked properly) and I probably won't eat there again.
Overall I'd recommend this hotel if a) it's too cold to walk several blocks from Explorer or Coast Fraser and b) you have meetings in the hotel and/or plan to stay within the hotel for work and eating.
I've heard and read of problems with inebriated guests or individuals in this hotel but I didn't experience any problems with that.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite if possible.

Hello

My apologies that we were not able to meet your expectations. I would like to speak with you regarding your stay. I can be reached at 867 873 2601 ext 7282. I am hoping that you will choose to stay with us during your next visit to Yellowknife.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

It was my first time staying at Yellowknife Inn so I did not know what to expect. I was asked to stay at Yellowknife Inn because my boss was staying there and closer to my client site.
I arrived at the hotel at around 5pm to checkin. The process was ok, I was assigned a room on the second floor. Since I like higher floor, so I asked for a higher floor, but I was told that all the rooms are occupied already. Then I realized they charged me the wrong room rate. 5 minutes later, they corrected the room rate and to the room I go.
Slided the card in and opened the door, to my surprise, the room was a mess. It seems that someone forgot to clean the room. Of course, I should have known since the “Do Not Disturb” sign was still hanging on the door knob.
So back to the front desk, I mentioned to the front desk and told them that the room was not made and it’s still dirty. The front desk person was courteous but did not offer me any apology which I found it is really strange given that the room was dirty, and they should not have given me the room in the first place. The manager at that shift was there and awared of the situation (the front desk person spoke to him) but didn’t come out to apologize, that’s really strange. When I was talking about apology, all I was expecting “Sorry”, nothing else. Given that I was told all rooms are occupied already, I worried that I may not have a room that night. But to my surprise, a higher floor room was suddenly available. Good for me.
I finally got to my room. The room was decent, the bathroom was well-appointed, the bed was clean and comfortable. My room has an office table, and it also has a round table.
Though the hotel was renovated, it seems that it is already showing its age. The most annoying thing was the gap between the door and the floor, I didn’t feel there was much privacy. Otherwise, for a $159 ($179 regular rate) a night in Yellowknife, it is not bad.
If you go to the gym, the best part of staying in Yellowknife Inn is the access to the Break Away Fitness a block away which is a full service fitness facility.
In summary, the hotel is right in the middle of downtown, a block or two from restaurants, grocery stores, and retail. It is certainly convenient. Great fitness facility in partnership with Break Away. Room is decent.

Room Tip: Get a high floor, and as far away from the stairs and elevator as possible. Preferable the extreme...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ImpulseTraveler

Hi There

Thank you for taking the time to write a hotel review and thank you for staying at The Yellowknife Inn. My apologies for your less than perfect experience with our Front Desk. We had a number of new Associates start in the department during the month of January. These new associates are still with us today and I am proud to say that they are excelling at their positions.

We are planning several upgrades in the near future including new flat screen tv's and improvements to both our restaurant and lounge areas.

Once again, thank you for staying at The Yellowknife Inn. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

This hotel is in need of a major refresher. Heating was not working properly, could not make calls out, printers in the business centre were not working... Front desk staff try to be helpful and friendly but the hotel is not in good repair. Would never stay here again despite central location.

Room Tip: Make sure your heating works... felt chilled the entire time I was there.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pierre S
Scott S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Yellowknife, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at The Yellowknife Inn. I am sorry to hear that your stay did not go as planned. Over the last few weeks, we have been performing upgrades and repairs to our heating systems. I was told by the contractor doing the work that the work would not effect our in house guests. It would appear that was not the case. My apologies.

I would also like to apologize about the lack of toner in the business centre. Yellowknife is limited in the number of suppliers that carry and sell computer equipment and accessories. Unfortunately our brand of toner cartridge is currently on back order with our supplier. We are hoping to have these cartridges soon.

I am hoping that we will have the opportunity to have you stay with us again. I can be reached at scottsmicer@yellowknifeinn.com if you wish to speak further about your recent stay.

Have a great day.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Rooms are good, beds excellent. Convenient in the centre of town, connected to a shopping centre which includes the place where you need to go for breakfast and a little coffee shop (great for those hot chocolates after a cold afternoon out!). The cleaning staff forgot to give us a new little bottle of shampoo a couple of times, but apart from that the cleaning was good.

Excellent fast, free wifi included!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello

Thank you for your positive comment about your recent stay at The Yellowknife Inn. I apologize for the lack of amenities in your hotel room. We have recently recruited and hired a new Executive Housekeeper. She is currently working on eliminating the small deficiencies in our Housekeeping Department. She has been an excellent addition to the management team at the hotel.

Once again, thank you for the positive feedback. We hope that you choose The Yellowknife Inn for future stays in Yellowknife. Have a great day.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Friendly and helpful staff, and a central location - close to a grocery store, lots of restaurants, and accessible to the tours to see the lights. I initially had some issues with parking, but they went far out of their way to resolve my problems. The ladies at the front desk were awesome - really friendly and nice, even though the weather was -40 degrees. I commend them for it!

Room was nice. Big bed, warm, with all the amenities I needed, including a great little coffee shop by the lobby. Yellowknife isn't a big city, so you can't expect metropolitan conveniences, but this came as close as could be expected.

I'd definitely stay here again. Recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Hello

Thank you for the great review. I am happy to hear that we were able to resolve your parking issues in a timely manner and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind and positive comments will be shared with all Associates of The Yellowknife.

We look forward to seeing you again. Have a great day.