“The northern lights have seen great sights”

Quality Inn & Suites Yellowknife
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Drayton Valley, Canada
“The northern lights have seen great sights”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We went in March to see the northern lights and were not disappointed with the lights or the hotel.
Good size room, clean, updated, friendly staff, down stairs restaurant has good food, Free coffee in lobby, no view to speak of. Wow cold outside! -40C
Don't bring cash to pay for room we had to insist they take it! Big, big argument! The manager took the cash but the staff are not allowed to take cash. They don't trust the staff with cash!
Nice!

Room Tip: There are no better rooms than others, no good views, just a nice hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ryan M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Exactly what you need when you're travelling up north. Northern service isn't what you would expect in the south, but the staff were all nice enough to me and willing to help out whenever I had questions. The restaurant/bar is pretty good, and the rooms are clean and comfortable. If possible, try to get a room away from the elevator, because the hallways are a bit noisy (echoes!).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Acton. Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I did some extensive research on where to stay for my Northern Lights Visit. I read endless reviews and went with the Yellowknife Inn and struck GOLD. I met Beth and Jan in the first few minutes of my arrival and was warmly greeted. I had a previous concern from a review about the Heating. It had been corrected the same day and that was not revealed by the Trip Advisor author. Beth met me personally to discuss my concerns and rest assured me my stay would be wonderful. I found the room clean, beds perfectly made up by the professional cleaning staff. No problems with heat or any other bathroom issues.

-Rooms are very clean and beds were comfortable.
-Room has a small fridge and plenty of storage.
-Vending machines are quiet and well stocked in you need a juice or Gatorade.
-Elevators are controlled with room key assisting in security concerns.
-I did not have a problem with people asking me for money outside on the street.
-I was secure in my room, around the hotel, and in the City of Yellowknife. Security was not a problem at all.
-Hotel Lobby was clean and the computers worked fine. Beth, Jasper, Cindy, and Jan were all amazing wonderful and kind people. I find it interesting that the people who had bad reviews did not take the time to actually talk and meet with the hotel representative but chose to wait until they got home to complain. These four staff members would of made trips across town to help your stay be a good one. They did not stop being professional and courteous. They represented themselves in a way that all hotels could learn from. I cannot thank them enough.

Room Tip: There is no pool at this location. Go to the Ruth Wilson Community Pool. There are plenty of swim...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank David Q
Nunavut
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The problems started at check-in. It was slow, only three people to check-in and two staff, waited at least 30 mins to check-in.

Next issue, key I was given didn't work.

Checkout was not any better.

I had given a bag of frozen fish at check-in to be held in the hotel's freezer. I was never given a tag for the bag. At checkout front desk rolled their eyes telling me I needed a tag to get my bag.

I had a flight to catch so I left and called a friend to pick up the bag later that day.

At checkout the wrong credit card was charged and the receipt was never emailed as requested.

I've since tried to retrieve the receipt providing name, confirmation and date of my booking. A random receipt with a similar first name was sent.

4 out of the 6 staff I have dealt with have poor customer service skills. I am suspecting they are given too much work because there has always been a sense of urgency with the staff, even the two polite staff. Almost as it I am inconveniencing front desk, this includes my check-in and check-out experiences.

Stay at the Explorer or Super 8 if you can. Or even Chateau Nova with their tiny beds.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Siutiapik

Travellers are raving about these Yellowknife hotels

Inuvik, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Central location :) and I had a GREAT view of the Gold Range - so when there was nothing on TV, surely there was a lot of action happening at the greatest dive bar in the NWT!?

I did not find the front desk service slow, but then again, I'm a northerner. Perhaps just used to it. My room had a most comfortable king sized bed. It was cold out, but I was cozy in my room.

No one "bothered" me in the lobby or downtown (LoL) Maybe because I arrived on a Monday and left on Wednesday - before all the crazies came out to play ;)

Staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean, warm and cozy. I heard little noise from other guests - assuming there were any!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank schm00pie
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This hotel is just fine, but you shouldn't expect too much. My check-in process was slow by my standards, but they were training a new person and I was there before the check-in time. They were able to accommodate me early which was fabulous, but it's old school! The clerk had to actually go check my room to see if it was ready. The staff don't have walkie talkies or something similar for this. But it was really quick and great that they even thought to go check for me. I witnessed other people waiting quite long for service at the front desk, but remember that many people travelling here do not speak English and they may take longer.

The room was smaller than I expected, hence my "don't expect too much" comment. It's not ridiculously small though. I had a double bed with a chair & ottoman beside it. I doubt that a queen would have fit in the space unless you removed the chair entirely.

I was able to grab the hotel shuttle both ways from the airport and it was lovely - no concerns there at all. The shuttle schedule is posted at the main desk.

The bathroom was spectacular. They have renovated all of the bathrooms and it really showed. I enjoyed the water pressure too.

My only true complaint was that I could hear the guest in the room beside me conducting phone conversations. Clearly the walls are somewhat thin, but after 20 minutes it stopped and I rarely heard anything else. I couldn't hear anybody else's TV or any other noise.

I had no concerns with the location at all and I was a solo woman. Most of the folks around this area are coming and going with the same intentions as myself - work. Yellowknife has the exact same concerns as any larger city like Calgary or Edmonton in the downtown core. I was only asked for change twice, but it was by the same guy each time. I didn't feel any less safe in Yellowknife than anywhere else.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Inverness, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2014

If you enjoy being harassed by street people in the elevators and hallways, used towels waiting for you upon arrival, and sleeping with a sense of unease -- then the Yellowknife Inn is the place for you!

Don't watch TV? You might want to consider it, because even if you haven't turned on your television once during your stay, you will be asked to pay for $70 in movie charges. You might also want to have cash on hand for a taxi, because after you fight with the front desk staff for 20 minutes about the mysterious charges, you will be guaranteed to miss the airport shuttle.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Scott S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Yellowknife, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Hello

Thank you for the review. My apologies that we were not able to meet your expectations during your last visit. I would like to assure you that all hotel rooms are inspected prior to anyone checking into them.

We occasionally experience issues with our local homeless, however this is the case in each hotel in Yellowknife. We consider ourselves to be a very safe hotel and take the safety of our guests very seriously.

I would like to take the opportunity to speak with you regarding the movie charges that were occurred during your stay. Each hotel room has a secure connection with the onsite movie system and the only way you can order a movie is through the television in your room. It is my understanding that you did not pay for these movies. If this is not the case, please feel free to contact me at 867 873 2601 ext 7282 and I would be happy to discuss this further with you.

Have a great day.