“Never did get served”

Add it.
Papa Jim's Roadhouse
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Waited 10 minutes to be asked for. Drink order. Waited 45 minutes for a sandwich I ordered which I never got as the power went out. I was informed 30 minutes later they couldn't make it. Will meet be back

4  Thank The52guy

Reviewed 16 February 2012

I live and work in Yellowknife. I like going to Papa Jims particularly for the wings. They are by far the best in town. However, it is by far the worst service ever. I do not mean in terms of long waits or anything like that. We generally go there in the evening and 90% of the time we get the same server. She is simply 100% unpleasant. You can say please and thank you to her 100 times over and she will not so much as acknowledge you. But when you are leaving if you tip her, she will then say thanks. I overlooked this over and over, as I enjoy the food. It's also nice and quiet where you can actually hear each other speak. But I am beginning to wonder if dealing with her miserable attitude is worth it. If you simply want decent food....this place will give you that. If you want great service, or a smile. Stay away. Stay far away.

3  Thank tdugg
Reviewed 24 January 2012

This past weekend my wife and I stopped in for the Sunday Brunch. Papa Jims does not have the vast selection that the Explorer has but the quality of food is much better (the prices are better too). They always have the traditional breakfast fare with something else. This week was pork chops in mushroom gravy, southern fried chicken, and rosemary baked potatoes. My only regret was that I ate too much!
I guess to be honest, I had two regrets as this week there was no potato salad. Papa Jim’s serves the best potato salad I have ever had!

This place is easily our favourite restaurant in town. It’s a great place to go for a dinner out, great food, the prices are very fair and the portions are huge. I really recommend the blackened chicken.

As for delivery, Papa Jim’s wins again. They have not only the best pizza in town (stone baked) but it is also reasonably priced and available in sizes up to 18”. Their medium is the same size as most place’s extra large!

1  Thank Rob4562
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Boasting Yellowknife's only traditional stone pizza oven, Papa Jim's crafts by far the best Pizza north of 60, and has a fairly standard but completely delicious selection of pastas, meat entrees (including several fish and poultry items) appetizers, sandwiches and breakfast. It doesn't really matter what you order here; meals will always be prepared reasonably quickly and to a standard of excellence you rarely encounter in the NWT. In terms of the menu, there are only two gripes to list: firstly, the menu is very lacking in vegetarian options, and secondly, their weekend brunch is very small and lacking in "oomph."

The dining area is small but comfortable, though lacking in much to look at out of the windows and decorated rather randomly. Service is quick, friendly and attentive; I've never had to ask for a coffee refill at Papa Jim's, and food arrives much faster than at other local restaurants that serve far inferior fare (anybody who's ever visited Yellowknife's infamous Boston Pizza should be nodding here). The one big complaint I have is that their posted hours were wrong; we arrived with what we thought was an hour to spare, only to learn that they had begun closing an hour earlier than the posted close time, and had already turned off the grill. Fortunately, we were still able to order what we came for, but it was still pretty irritating.

Overall, this is one restaurant that every Yellowknifer should have on their radar for those nights when they'd rather not cook, and although there are more iconic places for visitors to eat, Papa Jim's is a great choice for a night when you just want reasonably-priced, delicious food without so much of the "local flavor" or the "great northern gouge." For a meal in Yellowknife at this price range, there is nowhere else I'd reccomend more.

1  Thank Powerslacker
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Went in May 2010. Not a very nice place. The food was over cooked and very small portions.... a good thing when it was tasted.

1  Thank icedtrucker