“Great if you are in the renovated room, away from construction”
Review of Coast Fraser Tower

Coast Fraser Tower
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Edmonton, Canada
“Great if you are in the renovated room, away from construction”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I was very disappointed with this hotel and will likely not stay again or recommend, unless I can secure a renovated room and have them swear on a bible that there is no renovation construction near me.
I booked two months in advance for a business trip, was told there were no renovated suites available, all were booked but they would put me on a wait list for the renovated. I asked at that time if there was any construction/renovation going on at the time of my arrival, as I had read in previous entries that there were bad experiences with renovations.
I was told there would be no renovations, that they were all done with that.
I called about a week or two weeks prior to my stay to inquire on the wait list for the renovated suites. The person at the desk sounded distracted and told me that nope, they were still all booked up and yes she did see that I was on a wait list.
I got to the hotel....still no renovated rooms.
Went into my room and was sorely disappointed. It was comparable to when I first moved out of home into my very first cheap apartment, old fixtures, old lighting, old flooring and carpet, old smell. Aaaaand loud balcony construction, right below my balcony. Since I had already asked when I arrived and did not get much attention and was not told when I arrived about the construction, I figured I would just have to suck it up.
I found a few days into my stay, from a colleague who was staying in the same hotel.....that she secured a renovated suite and had only booked a few weeks prior. I was pretty ticked.

I lasted until the stat holiday. I thought I would do some work in my room for the morning.....aaaaand the buzz saw starts up. I had it, was sorely sleep deprived due to the awful room and noisy neighbors. I did not get the impression that complaining would get me anywhere, but needed to spill.
As soon as I did this...with one night left on my one week stay....they immediately found a renovated suite away from the noise. Huh, how 'bout that.
So lesson learned?....freak out earlier, otherwise this hotel does not accomodate simple but important requests.
The reno'd suite was great, if there is no construction and you are overlooking the lake....very nice indeed. The ladies were very nice and helpful with the change. Upon checkout, I would have been overcharged by about $50 if I didn't read the bill.
Feel bad for having to post this, but feel that the hotel itself was not honest with me, don't want this to happen to someone else. Was a terrible, sleepless stay until that last night.

Room Tip: Ensure no renovations going on, double check. Rooms overlooking the lake are better view. Renovate...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank reachkarebear

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Stayed one night in June on my way through to the north. The room was clean and tidy, with everything needed for the business traveler. Staff were helpful and cheerful, which actually does make a difference after a long day traveling.
No restaurant although a set menu service from a local restaurant was offered in the evening the day I was there and they have an included continental breakfast each morning. It isn't a long walk to the main drag but in inclement weather I am sure it might be a problem for some, so if you need food and beverages at your hotel, probably not the place for you. Was good for me though, and definitely a place I will consider again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter_Cain
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Will stay there again!! Week long stay provided opportunity to get to know the staff...always greeted me by name. Only one small issue with thermostat but windows are openable. Even had a small balcony...great view of the lake!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Gourdette
Yellowknife
Reviewed 15 April 2012

friendly staff, lots of fast efficient support and good local knowledge. I would recommend this property to anyone on an extended business trip to Yellowknife.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank rottoniwt
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2012

The rooms (yes plural) were huge compared with what you get elsewhere. It included a king-size bedroom, full-size kitchen, dining room, living room and bathroom. Not bad for $154 per night! Excellent for long stays. The Continental breakfast in the lobby is legendary. The evening dining smelled nice but there are other options in town. Curiously, there was no alarm clock or radio in the room. Front desk manager offered a wealth of assistance and local info.

Room Tip: 10th floor gives you panoramic view of the lake (or ice road!)
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ken A
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Once again I have had the pleasure of staying at the Cost Fraser Towers in YK. The rooms, which are really two bedroom apartrments are clean, spacious and well appointed with everything you need, including the kitchen with a dishwasher. The staff at the front desk go out of their way to accommodate our needs. The breakfast, which is included, is healthy and has lots of choice. They are number one with me when it comes to hotels and in my business, I stay in a lot of them.

When we can, we hold our meetings here because of the facilitis and the service

I'll be back.

Rob Johnson
SolutionsNorth
Ottawa

Room Tip: Haven't had a bad room yet. Noise not an issue and views are great.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Robert J
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Since arriving at the hotel, the management and staff have gone out of their way to extend hospitality and friendship. The kitchen suite was extremely clean, quite, and comfortable. I will not stay anywhere else in Yellowknife and I truly recommend this facililty to others. Although I did not use the steam room, the fitness facility is adequate. I did use the stairs everyday for additional exercise, instead of taking the elevator, but I would like to see the floors numbered from the stairwell in case of disorientation. Above average stay - new king beds - best by far in Yellowknife. Kevin from Edmonton

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business