“spacious apt.”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“spacious apt.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

The room was actually an apartment, with balcony, fully outfitted kitchen with coffee maker, great coffee, fridge, dishes, pots, etc. plus a dining area, There was lots of room, very comfy king size bed. Iron and ironing board, lots of closet space, tv's in bedroom and living room. Helpful and friendly staff. Good location for me, within walking distance to my son's house and shopping. O yes, saw the sunrise and full moon and excellent views.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room on the upper levels,.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012 via mobile

Checked out of the Explorer to come here. Much cleaner and amazing service. Rooms are great, nice and big. Free local calls unlike the Explorer. Best value and free breakfast. Really good gym too. I will be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Curt0032
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

My room (1306) appeared to have been recently renovated. The living room was spacious with a couch, TV and desk. The kitchen had a coffee maker, full fridge, stove and dishwasher with plates\cutlery\pots\dish soap. My King size bed was very comfortable. Bathroom is somewhat small but also very clean.

Continental breakfast was adequate for me (Bagels\toast, juice, yogurt, some fresh fruit and muffins). Coffee and tea are available in the lobby 24 hours a day.

Overall I was very happy with my stay and I found the kitchen very handy.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

I'd say this hotel is centrally located and we had a great view from our balcony. The room was large and clean. We were not aware of the ongoing construction to the balconies and it was not nice to wake up to after a long drive the day before, but my concerns were dealt with to my satisfaction. We stayed 5 nights and all staff were friendly and helpful. The complimentary breakfast was not too extensive and did not vary in the time we were there, but that's the only suggestion I'd have.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the construction if you are hoping to sleep in!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

The best thing here is the staff. They are very friendly and attentive, and get to know the guests. There is no restaurant on-site or very close-by, but Thornton's and Boston Pizza are close enough to walk to on a warm day. But, they do cater-in a limited buffet for $20 a plate 3 nights a week (see ad in the elevator when you are there, or ask at the front desk). The buffet was catered by Coyote's Bar and Grill when I was there, and I've eaten at Coyote's so I avoided the buffet that week. Not that $20 is expensive at all there, even a small pizza somewhere will cost you more than that in Yellowknife. The rooms are very functional, but laundry service is outrageous with card-operated machines on every second floor. $2.50 to wash or dry, each load. For apartments, there should be a little washer-dryer in each unit, but one must remember the usual clientele i suppose, as noisy young miners abound through the place. Although perhaps nit pricey for Yellowknife standards, the cost is outrageous for what you get. No air-conditioning at all, no pool, tiny fitness rooms, and a scant but handy continental-like breakfast from 6-11am is included. The parking lots are 'northern', don't expect nice clean pavement, or any pavement for that matter, and when it rains, expect a muddy car and shoes. From t he outside it looks like most everything else in Yellowknife, old, painted, box-like, plain, but functional. If you want more up-scale there are others like that, but you just pay far more and get not much more in return. The Coast Fraser is a happy solution to needing a place to bed-down for a bit without bedbugs, or deadbeats sleeping in the doorways all night.

Room Tip: Front of the building in summer, back in winter.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank worldfishingfreak
Saskatchewan Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

We were greeted by friendly knowledgable staff and treated with respect!
Our room was way above and beyond what we expected. We rented a 2 bdr suite but this room was HUGE. Twice as big as my sons bachelor apartment that was in the building next door. One bdr with king bed and one with a queen bed. Full kitchen including dishwasher. Excellent value for the money.
Our room was on the 13th floor so we had the best view! We could see a lot of the city and Great Slave lake views as well. Beautiful!
We will definitely be choosing Coast Frazer the next time we're in town!!

• Stayed June 2012
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

I was very disappointed with this hotel and will likely not stay again or recommend, unless I can secure a renovated room and have them swear on a bible that there is no renovation construction near me.
I booked two months in advance for a business trip, was told there were no renovated suites available, all were booked but they would put me on a wait list for the renovated. I asked at that time if there was any construction/renovation going on at the time of my arrival, as I had read in previous entries that there were bad experiences with renovations.
I was told there would be no renovations, that they were all done with that.
I called about a week or two weeks prior to my stay to inquire on the wait list for the renovated suites. The person at the desk sounded distracted and told me that nope, they were still all booked up and yes she did see that I was on a wait list.
I got to the hotel....still no renovated rooms.
Went into my room and was sorely disappointed. It was comparable to when I first moved out of home into my very first cheap apartment, old fixtures, old lighting, old flooring and carpet, old smell. Aaaaand loud balcony construction, right below my balcony. Since I had already asked when I arrived and did not get much attention and was not told when I arrived about the construction, I figured I would just have to suck it up.
I found a few days into my stay, from a colleague who was staying in the same hotel.....that she secured a renovated suite and had only booked a few weeks prior. I was pretty ticked.

I lasted until the stat holiday. I thought I would do some work in my room for the morning.....aaaaand the buzz saw starts up. I had it, was sorely sleep deprived due to the awful room and noisy neighbors. I did not get the impression that complaining would get me anywhere, but needed to spill.
As soon as I did this...with one night left on my one week stay....they immediately found a renovated suite away from the noise. Huh, how 'bout that.
So lesson learned?....freak out earlier, otherwise this hotel does not accomodate simple but important requests.
The reno'd suite was great, if there is no construction and you are overlooking the lake....very nice indeed. The ladies were very nice and helpful with the change. Upon checkout, I would have been overcharged by about $50 if I didn't read the bill.
Feel bad for having to post this, but feel that the hotel itself was not honest with me, don't want this to happen to someone else. Was a terrible, sleepless stay until that last night.

Room Tip: Ensure no renovations going on, double check. Rooms overlooking the lake are better view. Renovate...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business